Bitcoin Forum
August 29, 2024, 10:21:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Accessing My Bitcoin Node Remotely  (Read 82 times)
freddie2281 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 23, 2024, 09:48:48 PM

Hello Everyone I am new to this site. But I think that I have a question that will challenge the smart folks here. I am longtime Bitcoiner but not a technical expert. So please bear with me.

Bitcoin Client Software and Version Number: Sparrow Wallet 1.7.7, Running a full node with the client version 27.0.0.
Operating System: Windows 10 and Windows 11.
System Hardware Specs: I5 processors, 32 gig ram, 1.5 TB SolidState.
Description of Problem: I have a laptop running Bitcoin core and when I connect my Sparrow wallet directly on the same machine via ID and PWD. It connects immediately and works fine. However I need remote access to my node. And this just does not seem to work for some reason. I can ping my node both inside and outside the firewall. I thought that Windows defender might be blocking the connection. So I shut down defender. Still no connection. I have tried allowing my node to accept the remote addresses that did not work. I tried opening it up to a range of IP addresses that did not work. I asked my ISP to open up Port numbers. I tried different port numbers. And specifying the IP address of my node and adding it to the config file. No luck. I tried giving it access via a remote VPN where there was a direct tunnel between client and node that did not work. I tried working with Sparrow Telegram they really couldn't help me. I tried some other groups but mostly it was install an electrum server. But I don't have Linux and I don't have Linux skills. I was told that Nodes were easy. But it appears that the only way to use your own node is to have your wallet directly connected or run Electrum server? Strange thing is. I see many connections coming into and out of my Node. So I am assuming someone is connecting to it and using it without an electrum server? Or are those long green and red lines something else? Please help. I am quite frustrated. I have spent dozens maybe hundreds of hours on this. Rebooting and reconfiguring. I cannot believe that no one out there is connecting to nodes remotely? Or only with electrum server? What am I doing wrong?
Any Related Addresses: All addresses.
Any Related Transaction: No transactions.
Screenshot of the problem:
Log Files from the Bitcoin Client:
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 3094

BTC price road to $80k

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2024, 11:59:28 PM

I'm a bit confused about what exactly you are trying to remote or are you talking about connecting to Bitcoin node/Sparrow wallet outside the local network?
Would you mind telling us how exactly do you connect to your Sparrow wallet remotely?
If you do it manually have you enabled the remote desktop on the settings it looks like this below

Let's see if it can help.

And follow the instructions provided below and try to change rpcallowip to the wildcard character like 192.168.1.* the asterisk is the wildcard character to allow all local IP on the local network then try it again. If nothing works I think you need to check the sparrow file logs and check the error to find exactly what the issue is you can find it on the GUI Help > Show Log File

- https://www.sparrowwallet.com/docs/connect-node.html

freddie2281 (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2024, 03:35:31 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Yes. I am trying to be able to connect to my node from a remote location using Sparrow wallet. I do it connecting manually with username and password. If Sparrow wallet is on the same device as the Node it works easily. If anywhere else it does not work.

I will give your instructions a try. Thank you.
freddie2281 (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2024, 03:46:31 PM

To clarify my use case. I am away from my node for long periods of time. So my goal is to connect from a remote location. I would prefer not to take my node with me. I believe it is more secure at one location. And be able to access it remotely.
BlackHatCoiner
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 7972

Bitcoin is a royal fork

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2024, 06:38:56 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

• Post the important part from Sparrow's log file. For example, what does it tell you? Does it attempt to initiate a connection and fail?
  • Post the same thing from your Bitcoin Core node. What does debug.log say? Does it say anything at all?
  • Firewall and / or ISP limitations are a frequent problem. Have you tried installing Tor in your laptop and create a hidden service so that you can connect remotely with no port forward nor firewall changes?
  • Can you post your Bitcoin configuration file? You said that you attempt to connect with username and password. This is not a recommended method anymore (authentication is now done with .cookie file), and you might have not configured it properly.

nc50lc
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 5982

Self-proclaimed Genius

View Profile
August 25, 2024, 08:12:22 AM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

I am trying to be able to connect to my node from a remote location using Sparrow wallet. I do it connecting manually with username and password. If Sparrow wallet is on the same device as the Node it works easily. If anywhere else it does not work.
Can you clarify that the "remote location" is on a different machine but in the same local network?
If you meant over "the internet", Sparrow's official instructions wont work since it's for remote connection over the same network.

Haven't tried this but you can try set rpcbind=0.0.0.0 and rpcallowip=0.0.0.0 in your Bitcoin Core's bitcoin.conf file to enable RPC connections outside of localhost and local network.
Then set your Bitcoin Core's IP address in Sparrow's server URL.
But only do that if your Bitcoin Core is used exclusively as your Sparrow's server and doesn't contain a wallet with significant amount
because it's not secure and it's not recommended to use RPC over the internet.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
freddie2281 (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2024, 06:59:15 PM

I tried the RPC Bind commands. And I tried to open it up with a range of IP addresses. But this did not work.

I am not sure. I am going to be traveling. And I have decided to step away from it for a little while. It seems that the only real way to make it work is with an Electrum server.

Or maybe TOR. I am not sure how I would specify which Tor device on either side to make sure it can find the server.

With my VPN I have the ability to share access to each other remotely. Via a secure tunnel. And to then use something like nomachine to do a remote control of the server. (leaving the Sparrow wallet on the Bitcoin core server)  And I can control and access anything on either side. Even USB connected devices and monitor hardware. But once again Sparrow wallet will not see any of my other wallets. So I cannot access it from a remote location.

Remember my goal was to be able to use my wallets when I am away from home where my Bitcoin Core server is.  

Thanks for you help guys. I will get back to you a little later.
NotATether
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 7188

In memory of o_e_l_e_o

View Profile WWW
Today at 01:12:24 PM

Use a VNC connection. RDP is too brittle and has a lot of exploits for it so unless you are accessing the connection through a proxy and the target system has a firewall to block all other RDP connections except from the jumper proxy, then it's going to be attacked.

Even then I would recommend that you firewall the remote desktop similar to the above. Or even access Sparrow wallet's terminal user interface (TUI) through SSH - you can do that now.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: