Bitcoin Forum
October 02, 2024, 04:24:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Restoring Trezor on Electrum with correct seed phrase fails?  (Read 341 times)
eiger3970 (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 2

View Profile
September 21, 2024, 01:02:59 AM

My iPhone hot wallet preference is Breez, as it's self custodial and has the lowest LN fees to setup a channel. I don't know anything about the team though, which I like to know whether or not they're decent people.
If QR code doesn't work, I'll research how to manually do it.

I think I just learned recovering mnemonic/seed phrases need atleast 1 transaction, as my test cold wallet recovery tests fails with Electrum and Sparrow.

nc50lc
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 6199

Self-proclaimed Genius

View Profile
September 21, 2024, 04:16:12 AM
Merited by ABCbits (2), Pmalek (2)

My iPhone hot wallet preference is Breez, as it's self custodial and has the lowest LN fees to setup a channel. I don't know anything about the team though, which I like to know whether or not they're decent people.
If QR code doesn't work, I'll research how to manually do it.
You can't Air-Gap a lightning client if you're up to its lightning features.
You can't create a watching-only wallet in Breez using Electrum's master public key either.
You can only create a new wallet or restore from online backup from Google drive or your preferred server.

I think I just learned recovering mnemonic/seed phrases need atleast 1 transaction, as my test cold wallet recovery tests fails with Electrum and Sparrow.
That isn't actually necessary "technically" since all the client has to do is to derive the private keys from the seed to restore the wallet.
It requires some CPU processes, not internet (that's for syncing to check for transactions).
That '1 txn requirement' is just a method of some clients to auto-detect which of the standard derivation path and script type the owner of the seed phrase has used.

In your test in Electrum, you must have used "Detect Existing Account" for it to require a transaction since that button searches from multiple derivations paths to see which ones are already used.
Using the script type selection after pasting your BIP39 seed should be sufficient to restore the wallet if the correct option is selected.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
eiger3970 (OP)

View Profile
September 22, 2024, 01:10:17 AM

I figured out how to receive via the Electrum online watch-only wallet, by taking a photograph of the offline QR master public key (MPK) to create the watch-only wallet, which then has the same receive address as the offline wallet.
Still figuring out how to send from the offline wallet with 1 USB, 1 offline computer (the same online computer, but booted with TailsOS live USB and offline with a command like sudo ip link eth0 down or whatever (too much effort to physically disconnect the RJ45 Ethernet plug)), 1 online computer and 1 online iPhone (no Electrum nor Sparrow app).

Also, is there a way TailOS can automatically not connect to the Internet or have the offline Electrum app in a VM/Container/Qube to keep it offline?
nc50lc
Legendary

Self-proclaimed Genius

View Profile
September 22, 2024, 04:43:17 AM
Merited by ABCbits (2), Pmalek (2)

Also, is there a way TailOS can automatically not connect to the Internet or have the offline Electrum app in a VM/Container/Qube to keep it offline?
Enable "Offline Mode" in the start menu "Additional Settings" in every session.
However, unplugging to the network is still the recommended solution since some motherboards' UEFI/BIOS can still connect to the internet without the OS.

Still figuring out how to send from the offline wallet with 1 USB, 1 offline computer -snip-, 1 online computer and 1 online iPhone (no Electrum nor Sparrow app).
To better understand what I've written about it:
Research "PSBT" (Partially Signed Bitcoin Transaction) and you'll be able to tell if a non-Electrum client can be used together with Electrum.
A workaround is to use something like Bitcoin Core's converttopsbt RPC command to convert a serialized transaction hex to psbt.

Take note that some tutorials online are outdated and the export/import transaction method will only work in older versions of Electrum.
In your research, make sure that Electrum's version is at least v4.0.1 or above.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
eiger3970 (OP)

View Profile
September 22, 2024, 05:56:55 AM

Thanks, yes I realised TailsOS welcome screen has the option to disable networks.

So testing restoring the TailsOS Electrum hot wallet (as networks were on at some stage) and the restore shows nothing?
I would assume transactions would be shown with the online hot wallet? I also don't see transactions in the online standard watching only wallet?

Sending from the offline wallet still prompts error: There are no funds. I am BTC is on the BTC network and the offline wallet is only to use the private key to sign the standard watching only wallet's transaction, however I am still trying to sort out restoring the wallets first.

The Lightning channels enabled says I need to create a new Electrum seed? Guess I'll continue using Breez for daily LN spending.
nc50lc
Legendary

Self-proclaimed Genius

View Profile
September 22, 2024, 08:23:21 AM

Sending from the offline wallet still prompts error: There are no funds. I am BTC is on the BTC network and the offline wallet is only to use the private key to sign the standard watching only wallet's transaction,
Don't use the offline Electrum to send.
I see that no one provided you any instructions, these are the correct steps on how to do it in offline Electrum and watch-only Electrum pair: https://bitcoinelectrum.com/creating-a-cold-storage-wallet-in-electrum/
For non-Electrum watch-only wallet, read my previous reply.

-snip-, however I am still trying to sort out restoring the wallets first.
Yes, better stick to the original topic issue, this thread has deviated from it since you've brought up discussion about Cold Storage and Tails.
You may create a new topic if you have additional questions or if want to continue those discussions.

Honestly, I was in the impression that you've already figured it out after that post and the subsequent replies below it.
Quote from: eiger3970
So I've been restoring the old Trezor 24 word mnemonic/seed phrase multiple times with its passphrase.
A new Electrum BIP39 wallet is created with nothing, probably as there's no funds or transactions on the old Trezor cold wallet.
Quote from: eiger3970
I'm using the correct mnemonic/seed 24 words and passphrase.
It seems as the Trezor had 0 funds, this may not have created any history or addresses.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████