Bitcoin Forum
September 28, 2024, 12:08:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bisq Light Client Initiative Project  (Read 136 times)
OrangeFren (OP)

Activity: 67
Merit: 320

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2024, 11:39:45 AM
Merited by LoyceV (42), BlackHatCoiner (40), eXch (30), hugeblack (10), d5000 (5), Husna QA (5), dkbit98 (5), icopress (5), paid2 (5), NotATether (4), ABCbits (3)

OrangeFren and eXch are happy to announce the public project aiming to initiate development of Bisq 1 light client in order to make it lightweight and usable for everyone.

Why?

Bisq 1 is the only existing fully decentralized Bitcoin exchange with meaningful volumes, which makes it a very valuable project.

The current state of the whole Bisq 1 project development is almost fully stale without addressing very important issues, and unfortunately we believe it has a very dubious future without such initiatives, while there is still a chance it can see a bright future if users are provided with a light client that does not require extreme specs and user efforts to run and maintain it. This is a list of some of its current issues: 

- constant UI lags
- random application hangs
- recurring connectivity issues
- extremely long launch times
- lack of trust in complex Java software builds that can't be verified causing many to run it in VMs which makes it even slower

We have also reviewed many messages on this and other forums/socials containing brief feedbacks on Bisq which showed us that people like the project and its concept but don't like its Java software stack realization, which causes most users prefer to CEX and other platforms to trade just to avoid running heavy Java software full of bugs and random issues due to its code complexity and lack of optimization.

We believe that the current Bisq implementation is its current entry barrier for both developers and users due to being based on Java, thus it needs an alternative client that:

- is fast
- is lightweight
- doesn't take ages to sync (but still with an option to use a self-hosted node)   
- provides a variety of options to manage user identities (add/remove/swap) without having to close and resync the client
- comes with absolutely necessary reproducible builds

Therefore we are volunteering to develop the concept, curate and sponsor the whole development roadmap at its initial stage until the first fully featured release.

How will it be done?

We will use Electrum as the core concept base for the implementation of the Bisq Light Client, since Electrum is one of the best light clients that were ever made and we think that the whole Bisq functionality can fit fully into Electrum-alike interface.

Here are some core concepts we wish to implement:

- The client will be written in Python using same concept Electrum has - being the GUI, the command-line interface and the RPC API in one piece of software, using the absolutely same GUI framework Electrum uses (Qt).

- It will have its own SPV servers for faster data synchronization of the BSQ chain, while still leaving an option to do it in a Bisq way for hardened privacy.

- It will use Electrum SPV servers for faster synchronization of Bitcoin data as a primary method (which might be penalizing for privacy), while still offering options to use full remote and local Bitcoin Core nodes.

These three points are core anchors to solve the performance issues that are present in the current Bisq 1 implementation. Once there is a protocol fully implemented in Python and a working CLI, the development should become easy and straightforward, enabling the FOSS community from the whole world to contribute.

Who will develop it?

We will wait for interested developers to contact us in order to distribute tasks and launch the initial development.

We also expect some current Bisq 1 core developers and contributors to attend and participate in this project development.

OrangeFren and eXch teams will also perform code security review at the first development stages since we have expertise in Python.

The Github repository will be managed by OrangeFren, eXch and current core Bisq 1 developers/contributors who will manifest interest in helping with its maintenance. An independent security audit will also be performed once there is a full featured release.

What is the funding?

The initial current project funding is 5 BTC (but not limited to) provided by eXch, whose team will also distribute the funds across all the contributors after each project stage completion based on their participation.

The distribution of funds evaluation will be performed by OrangeFren, eXch and any interested parties who wish to contribute into this project.

We also accept donations at the following addresses to be distributed across the contributors:

BTC: bc1q852fnqadh9w4fssnsh8jnh0ranqnrj2qn8pe7k
LTC: ltc1qrfvaw3y3rax4rz9420jffkuvatw3p6sc4gqjrg
ETH: 0x1087D9f292BD2148dAec878b0F383AeC4c63E0A7 (if stablecoins, please avoid USDT and USDC, while DAI is preferred)
XMR: 45JxXNs3AJYEyVNsT6TJWLYJKttw6b8yoSRBSXu3AgWEUys1oxiuFDL6VHMVaMDVUnBXtbCSCS4QfaT ymryniM4KGQ1vq6v

(These addresses belong to OrangeFren who will be responsible for proper distribution of donated funds)

How to participate?

If you are dev who is interested to make the part of this project, please send an email to bisqproject@mail.orangefren.com and inform us which part of the project you are interested to work on so we can add you to the initial core team.

Devs who wish to make the part of the core team are required to have good Python skills and experience in network application development and basic Bitcoin concepts.

Non-devs who wish to make the part of the team on other concepts (such as marketing, accounting or research) can also email us or simply joins our SimpleX Chat group.

The first development roadmap with a separate taskforce group for each point, which is considered STAGE 1:

- Full implementation of Bisq 1 protocol

- Research and development of public BSQ SPV server along with its synchronization model (either per address sync or per height sync)

- The client command line, GUI and API functionality development to be able to view, take and create Bisq offers. The first GUI concept will be based on Electrum interface tabs and menus.

We accept a possibility that Electrum wallet repository might be forked for development of the initial concept.

Once STAGE 1 is complete, the 5 BTC will be distributed across all the developers fairly.

We accept suggestions.

Please join our SimpleX Chat group to talk on topic:

SimpleX Group url

Email for any questions: bisqproject@mail.orangefren.com (currently forwarded to OrangeFren and eXch reps, but we also invite all the core Bisq 1 developers and contributors to be added to the forward list)

IMPORTANT: This project is not related to Bisq 2 thus any mentions of it will be considered offtopic

This post will be updated once the basic development team pops up meanwhile we are awaiting for proposals.
dkbit98
Legendary

Activity: 2366
Merit: 7456

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2024, 08:54:49 PM

OrangeFren and eXch are happy to announce the public project aiming to initiate development of Bisq 1 light client in order to make it lightweight and usable for everyone.
Great initiative!
I like the idea of using Electrum wallet as a base, and there is similar looking open source wallet called Feather for monero.
It would be good if more developers join the project, not only from bitcoin since monero has the biggest volume in Bisq I expect to see some xmr developers joining as well.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
icopress
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 8938

light_warrior ... 🕯️

View Profile
September 19, 2024, 12:39:44 AM

I think anyone who has written at least one post in the Project Development section uses Electrum by default and out of habit.

That's why a new project whose conceptual base will be similar to Electrum will be an ideal solution... a kind of breath of fresh air. 👓

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
NotATether
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 7288

In memory of o_e_l_e_o

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2024, 07:21:56 AM
Merited by dkbit98 (1)

I think it would be a good idea for everyone involved to agree on a design and layout for each of the tabs before you guys start the coding, just to save time.

Either way, I dislike Java. It's very backwards-compatible, but it eats up too much memory, and its memory usage is evident when you use any large IDE for example.

I like the idea of using Electrum wallet as a base, and there is similar looking open source wallet called Feather for monero.

Feather is a very good design indeed. But I'm about to run my own XMR node, and will move my Bitcoin node there too (bye bye Hetzner). I have just set up a Proxmox machine for it.

OrangeFren (OP)

Activity: 67
Merit: 320

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2024, 02:31:17 PM

I think it would be a good idea for everyone involved to agree on a design and layout for each of the tabs before you guys start the coding, just to save time.

Either way, I dislike Java. It's very backwards-compatible, but it eats up too much memory, and its memory usage is evident when you use any large IDE for example.

Feather is a very good design indeed. But I'm about to run my own XMR node, and will move my Bitcoin node there too (bye bye Hetzner). I have just set up a Proxmox machine for it.

I'm quite amazed how this initiative reveals just how universally hated Java is  Grin
paid2

Activity: 826
Merit: 2677

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
Today at 08:08:40 AM

Friendly bump!

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄