Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:05:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Updated] Self replicating 3d printer chain! Bitprint!  (Read 5220 times)
Mushroomized (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 12:30:45 AM

It's a cool idea but a thread in this forum is too easy. If you put more work into the idea (website, writings, diagrams, detailed plans) you would have a better chance but for all that you're better off probably just buying one and letting us know how it goes. Or offering to create things for a fee. Still, I think I've seen other threads where people tried that so you have to go one step further. Be creative and you can do something cool. Good luck.
Well, I'll have a website up soon. I'll toss this on project on there, I'll update the thread to let you know. I think we should change focus to PrintrBots (http://printrbot.com/)

Are they self-replicating and open source?
Yes, actually.

hi

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tonto

Activity: 609
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 03:36:53 AM

I think what would get people interested would be pre-made parts kits with the electronics, and other non-printable stuff ready, so that all they have to wait on is the printable stuff.  At least that's what I want.  I don't mind doing projects like this, and don't mind assembling, but the thing that stops my projects dead in the tracks is stuff like electronics that don't work (like maybe I soldered something wrong).  If I had "plug-n-play" electronics kits, and the other hardware, and all I had to do was get someone to print the other stuff, and then assemble, that would rock.

Heathkit for n00bs, basically.

btw, for you youngins who didn't grow up in the 80s, you missed some *awesome* project by the Heathkit company.  Radios, robots, computers, all shipped to you in kit form, and you soldered and assembled. Smiley  Except I don't want to solder anymore - many a night was spent cussing because I had a short somewhere in my circuits. Smiley
Mushroomized (OP)
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 04:31:22 PM

I think what would get people interested would be pre-made parts kits with the electronics, and other non-printable stuff ready, so that all they have to wait on is the printable stuff.  At least that's what I want.  I don't mind doing projects like this, and don't mind assembling, but the thing that stops my projects dead in the tracks is stuff like electronics that don't work (like maybe I soldered something wrong).  If I had "plug-n-play" electronics kits, and the other hardware, and all I had to do was get someone to print the other stuff, and then assemble, that would rock.

btw, for you youngins who didn't grow up in the 80s, you missed some *awesome* project by the Heathkit company.  Radios, robots, computers, all shipped to you in kit form, and you soldered and assembled. Smiley  Except I don't want to solder anymore - many a night was spent cussing because I had a short somewhere in my circuits. Smiley
You might be on to something, here is what I had in mind.

I would raise funding to procure a complete Printrbot kit, which I would use to print out the structure for the new one, which would (along with the electronic components or funding for them) to the next holder of the fund pot. Of course we would have to find a way to get this to work in the long run, and maybe a more diverse strategy of sending funds and pieces around to people. This could be pretty neat if we do it right, with everyone having access to one of these for eventually just the price of the electronics.

hi
tonto

Activity: 609

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 06:53:48 PM
Last edit: August 27, 2012, 07:10:52 PM by tonto

I think what would get people interested would be pre-made parts kits with the electronics, and other non-printable stuff ready, so that all they have to wait on is the printable stuff.  At least that's what I want.  I don't mind doing projects like this, and don't mind assembling, but the thing that stops my projects dead in the tracks is stuff like electronics that don't work (like maybe I soldered something wrong).  If I had "plug-n-play" electronics kits, and the other hardware, and all I had to do was get someone to print the other stuff, and then assemble, that would rock.

btw, for you youngins who didn't grow up in the 80s, you missed some *awesome* project by the Heathkit company.  Radios, robots, computers, all shipped to you in kit form, and you soldered and assembled. Smiley  Except I don't want to solder anymore - many a night was spent cussing because I had a short somewhere in my circuits. Smiley
You might be on to something, here is what I had in mind.

I would raise funding to procure a complete Printrbot kit, which I would use to print out the structure for the new one, which would (along with the electronic components or funding for them) to the next holder of the fund pot. Of course we would have to find a way to get this to work in the long run, and maybe a more diverse strategy of sending funds and pieces around to people. This could be pretty neat if we do it right, with everyone having access to one of these for eventually just the price of the electronics.

How much of the Printrbot is printable?  About same as reprap?

Nevermind... I've been reading about Printrbot and see the answer to my own question, and I think you might have me hooked. Smiley

I like how he was talking about eventually replacing things like, say, the threaded rods with plastic versions, etc.

I'm going to start saving posthaste!   I also like being able to expand the various axes.   He needs to start selling those on Amazon as well, so I can use my bitcoins Smiley
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 10:46:10 PM

I think a good way to get this project moving is to start a community retail outlet. In exchange for the community providing members 3-D printers, they will agree to produce a certain number of 3-D prints per month at cost to the retail outlet. these could be custom or stock items depending on demand. Members with printers could also retail their goods at a markup to the general public to fund new members builds as well as profit personally. You could have a rotating cue so that as people order things the next member down the list has to make a print to fund the community. If a member decided not to pursue his hobby he could donate it back into the pool for the next member waiting in line. You could also get bulk discounts on raw materials for buying as a group. There would be a lot of advantages to this system, but the main problem would be how to decide on its management and who runs it legally and otherwise.
Mushroomized (OP)
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 02:26:47 PM

I think a good way to get this project moving is to start a community retail outlet. In exchange for the community providing members 3-D printers, they will agree to produce a certain number of 3-D prints per month at cost to the retail outlet. these could be custom or stock items depending on demand. Members with printers could also retail their goods at a markup to the general public to fund new members builds as well as profit personally. You could have a rotating cue so that as people order things the next member down the list has to make a print to fund the community. If a member decided not to pursue his hobby he could donate it back into the pool for the next member waiting in line. You could also get bulk discounts on raw materials for buying as a group. There would be a lot of advantages to this system, but the main problem would be how to decide on its management and who runs it legally and otherwise.

I have actually found software to automate this. And I am currently working on a way to get this set up in a way so I can handle the funds without giving myself too much power.. and still accept donation input. I'm afraid of GLBSE though.

Im thinking we can get a few of these to respectable forum members who agree to print some parts for others. And maybe donate some to school clubs or something and have them automated to print out parts every so often for me to pick up.

hi
Mushroomized (OP)
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 05:43:48 PM

updated op - http://yolkplus.org/bitprint.php

hi
rustyh17

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 04:40:25 PM

All,

I own a RapMan 3.1 3D printer similar to:

http://www.bitsfrombytes.com/usd/catalog/rapman-32-3d-printer-kit

I could help in this area as needed or actually could sell this printer to the
project team based on repayment over time (as bitprint starts moving more
parts).

Just let me know! Thanks!
Mushroomized (OP)
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 04:43:57 PM

All,

I own a RapMan 3.1 3D printer similar to:

http://www.bitsfrombytes.com/usd/catalog/rapman-32-3d-printer-kit

I could help in this area as needed or actually could sell this printer to the
project team based on repayment over time (as bitprint starts moving more
parts).

Just let me know! Thanks!
I appreciate it, we might work out some kind of deal..

hi
Mushroomized (OP)
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 06:40:55 PM
Last edit: October 01, 2012, 07:03:36 PM by Mushroomized

After talking with rusty, he is willing to loan the printer to us so we can start selling parts to people from STL files they send me. The profit will be saved to 1)Build rusty a new printer which he will take for the old one OR 2) pay back rusty for the printer. I will be setting up a fund on GLBSE later for the project, and I am very excited that other people are interested as well.

If you would like to help out cover our GLBSE fees, or just donate now, you can send some coins to out temporary donation address - 1MQxE4CBEzURoVkJedNNd8TJrCU52gLTw4 -

or if you're a litecoin fan - LVUm7AvafQBxmiCK87WtNQfAwSu1EWi6EW

The printers we would be making and distributed to people would be models of reprap- you can find out more about reprap in this neat video http://vimeo.com/5202148#

hi
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 09:41:57 PM

After talking with rusty, he is willing to loan the printer to us so we can start selling parts to people from STL files they send me. The profit will be saved to 1)Build rusty a new printer which he will take for the old one OR 2) pay back rusty for the printer. I will be setting up a fund on GLBSE later for the project, and I am very excited that other people are interested as well.

If you would like to help out cover our GLBSE fees, or just donate now, you can send some coins to out temporary donation address - 1MQxE4CBEzURoVkJedNNd8TJrCU52gLTw4 -

The printers we would be making and distributed to people would be models of reprap- you can find out more about reprap in this neat video http://vimeo.com/5202148#

AWESOME! Glad this is coming together. Mush pm me if I can help get this running. Also, I share your apprehension with tying this to GLBSE, is there another way we can do this?Pperhaps with a shared key wallet so that a certain number of members must submit keys to unlock group funds? How would the structure actually be designed? Should we register it as a nonprofit? Lot of stuff to answer here to keep this ball rolling.
Ryland R. Taylor-Almanza
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 12:08:33 AM

Can't wait for the chain to get big! Cheesy

.BITSLER.                 ▄███
               ▄████▀
             ▄████▀
           ▄████▀  ▄██▄
         ▄████▀    ▀████▄
       ▄████▀        ▀████▄
     ▄████▀            ▀████▄
   ▄████▀                ▀████▄
 ▄████▀ ▄████▄      ▄████▄ ▀████▄
█████   ██████      ██████   █████
 ▀████▄ ▀████▀      ▀████▀ ▄████▀
   ▀████▄                ▄████▀
     ▀████▄            ▄████▀
       ▀████▄        ▄████▀
         ▀████▄    ▄████▀
           ▀████▄▄████▀
             ▀██████▀
               ▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄            
▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀    ▄▄█▄▄ ▀▀▄         
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄      
█  ▀▄▄  ▀█▀▀ ▄      ▀████   ▀▀▄   
█ █▄  ▀▄   ▀████       ▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█  ▀▀       ▀▄▄ ▀████      ▄▄▄▀▀▀  █
█            ▄ ▀▄    ▄▄▄▀▀▀   ▄▄  █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ ▄▄   ███   ▀██  █           ▀▀  █ 
█ ███  ▀██       █        ▄▄      █ 
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  
▀▄            █        ▀▀      █  
▀▀▄   ███▄  █   ▄▄          █   
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    
▀▀▄   █   ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀         
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▀▀▀▀              
              ▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████████▄▄
        ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
▄     ▄█████▀             ▀█████▄
██▄▄ █████▀                ▀█████
 ████████            ▄██      █████
  ████████▄         ███▀       ████▄
  █████████▀▀     ▄███▀        █████
   █▀▀▀          █████         █████
     ▄▄▄         ████          █████
   █████          ▀▀           ████▀
    █████                     █████
     █████▄                 ▄█████
      ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████████▀▀
              ▀▀▀██████▀▀▀
            ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
         ▄█▀▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▀█▄
       █▀▀ ▄█████████████▄ ▀▀█
     █▀▀ ███████████████████ ▀▀█
    █▀ ███████████████████████ ▀█
   █▀ ███████████████▀▀ ███████ ▀█
 ▄█▀ ██████████████▀      ▀█████ ▀█▄
███ ███████████▀▀            ▀▀██ ███
███ ███████▀▀                     ███
███ ▀▀▀▀                          ███
▀██▄                             ▄██▀
  ▀█▄                            ▀▀
    █▄       █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
     █▄      ▀█████████▀
      ▀█▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
        ▀▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄
            ▀▀█████
[]
Mushroomized (OP)
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 01:27:22 AM

AWESOME! Glad this is coming together. Mush pm me if I can help get this running. Also, I share your apprehension with tying this to GLBSE, is there another way we can do this?Pperhaps with a shared key wallet so that a certain number of members must submit keys to unlock group funds? How would the structure actually be designed? Should we register it as a nonprofit? Lot of stuff to answer here to keep this ball rolling.

Im not sure!

I'm thinking some sort of donation drive that also allows user feedback. We want to make some sort of a business that also promotes people printing parts for others for free..

hi
Vanderbleek

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 07:55:32 AM

Something worth thinking about is molding and casting the parts, after the first batch has been printed. Much quicker, cheaper to do in large numbers, and should provide a similar end product. Not quite as cool, but probably more effective.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 08:03:46 AM

You can run it as a private company over gpg . Each financial member just registers their pubkey and you manually run motions etc and votes are weighted by the funds people contribute. You need a treasurer to receive funds, an accountant to write reports and statements and a secretary to run motions etc. This is an "investment club" or "association" and doesnt need to register whatsoever because you arent offering shares to the public.

Mushroomized (OP)
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 04:12:39 PM

You can run it as a private company over gpg . Each financial member just registers their pubkey and you manually run motions etc and votes are weighted by the funds people contribute. You need a treasurer to receive funds, an accountant to write reports and statements and a secretary to run motions etc. This is an "investment club" or "association" and doesnt need to register whatsoever because you arent offering shares to the public.

Interesting. For the time now, however. I might put this on hold and try to buy a printer out of pocket, or raise donations and print little trinkets and rewards for people (maybe sponsors and I would print some parts with their logos on them)

I was talking with tecshare, and right now we just need lots and lots of planning so we don't end up making any mistakes handling money.

If anyone wants to help post ideas, send some coins, pm me, submit anything to get this started.

hi
coga

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

www.btcbuy.info

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 07:46:44 PM

Just in case this topic is still interesting to someone, we started offering adafruit.com gift certificates at btcbuy.info. I am not certain that you can get every electronic part for reprap, but for those of you who are looking to get then for bitcoin, might be worth looking

GPG key: 6F8E305690A05365B58C50A
Mushroomized (OP)
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 04:54:00 PM

Just in case this topic is still interesting to someone, we started offering adafruit.com gift certificates at btcbuy.info. I am not certain that you can get every electronic part for reprap, but for those of you who are looking to get then for bitcoin, might be worth looking

While currently I think this could be a beneficial project, if done correctly and non-profit, it might be best to do this in the future.

At the current rate in which these printers are being upgraded, bigger build spaces, new hotends, etc and as well as the recent continued rise in btc prices, I think this should be done a little later. At least until one of the two mentioned things start to slow down

hi
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: