Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:41:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Updated] Self replicating 3d printer chain! Bitprint!  (Read 5218 times)
Mushroomized (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 01:09:30 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2012, 04:26:34 PM by Mushroomized

Hey guys, as part of a cool community of open sourced self replicating things, I thought you might like the RepRap, the self replicating (almost) 3D printer! http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRap

The rep rap uses thin plastic wire to create 3d shapes and models downloaded on to your computer to make physical models, including pieces for another rep rap machine.

Now I propose a community effort to create a chain of these machines for bitcoin enthusiasts. The idea is as follows- http://yolkplus.org/bitprint.php

With affordable desktop 3D printing on the horizon, what's to stop large companies from creating and selling these devices at a large premium, protecting the designs and preventing the users freedoms to create, design and print what they want? With affordable desktop 3D printing on the horizon, what's to stop large companies from monopolizng this business? They could suppress freedomsto create, design and print what you really want. 3D printers are amazing, because they have the ability to self-replicate. As a community, we are working together to create printers that are cheap, light and can print astounding detail with absolute precision. Projects like Rep-rap, and thingiverse collect and catalog the changes and forks in designs, but there is one problem.

They aren't cheap. Yet.

Bitprint aims to collect funding with the digital currency Bitcoin, which will be used to purchase and donate 3D printers to hobbyists, maker clubs, public schools or anyone else who would promise to contribute to the project either with funding, or by simply using the printer to print more pieces for other printers. Our goal is to get enough open source, self replicating printers in the hands of the public, so that they are readily available to anyone who would want one. Eventually it will only be necessary to purchase a few electronic components to create a printer. The rest of the parts can be printed out by a friend for you!

Once a network of these printers is established, jobs could be distributed through a software such as Botqueue, having the items created sold and a percentage kept for the fund.

I will next begin printing out all the parts of the next device for another donating community member (We need a way to decide who is next in line, whether it be the top donating member, or whoever receives the most votes, whatever we decide is fair). The parts will be shipped to the next person, and we will then have twice the printing power.

The goal of this project is to get everyone access to a 3d printing machine. Once one is done, I can make one for someone else, then when the second person completes theirs, we both make one for someone else and so on! The reason we need to continue the funding, however is because the parts such as power supply, motors and other circuitry cannot be printed (Yet, the next revision should be able to make circuits!)

Also, With all this printing going on, we can also use this as an opportunity to cut down on the amount of plastics used, and maybe start our own reprap fork created and maintained by the bitcoin community.

Please let me know what you think!

Let me know how you think I should collect donations, should I start a GLBSE thing?

hi

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 02:22:01 AM

RepRap has been around since 2004. RepRap is an amazing open source project that someday everyone will know about. Bitcoin and RepRap have a lot in common. In fact, it's their common emergent properties that will allow them to work well together. I've wanted a 3D printer since the late 1980s. RepRap is close to making a good affordable desktop model, but the quality still has a way to go.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2011, 03:31:04 AM

nice project indeed, hope they succeed replicating the metal parts too then we can all have china on our desktop

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Distribution

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 04:10:16 AM

A 3D printer would be so cool to have. It just looks like it takes a lot of room. I might be interested in your offer though.

EDIT: By the way, you might want to throw a couple of BTC to that address to let people know you'll have skin in the game too.
Ryland R. Taylor-Almanza
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 04:20:22 AM

Will be donating soon.

.BITSLER.                 ▄███
               ▄████▀
             ▄████▀
           ▄████▀  ▄██▄
         ▄████▀    ▀████▄
       ▄████▀        ▀████▄
     ▄████▀            ▀████▄
   ▄████▀                ▀████▄
 ▄████▀ ▄████▄      ▄████▄ ▀████▄
█████   ██████      ██████   █████
 ▀████▄ ▀████▀      ▀████▀ ▄████▀
   ▀████▄                ▄████▀
     ▀████▄            ▄████▀
       ▀████▄        ▄████▀
         ▀████▄    ▄████▀
           ▀████▄▄████▀
             ▀██████▀
               ▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄            
▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀    ▄▄█▄▄ ▀▀▄         
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄      
█  ▀▄▄  ▀█▀▀ ▄      ▀████   ▀▀▄   
█ █▄  ▀▄   ▀████       ▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█  ▀▀       ▀▄▄ ▀████      ▄▄▄▀▀▀  █
█            ▄ ▀▄    ▄▄▄▀▀▀   ▄▄  █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ ▄▄   ███   ▀██  █           ▀▀  █ 
█ ███  ▀██       █        ▄▄      █ 
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  
▀▄            █        ▀▀      █  
▀▀▄   ███▄  █   ▄▄          █   
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    
▀▀▄   █   ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀         
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▀▀▀▀              
              ▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████████▄▄
        ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
▄     ▄█████▀             ▀█████▄
██▄▄ █████▀                ▀█████
 ████████            ▄██      █████
  ████████▄         ███▀       ████▄
  █████████▀▀     ▄███▀        █████
   █▀▀▀          █████         █████
     ▄▄▄         ████          █████
   █████          ▀▀           ████▀
    █████                     █████
     █████▄                 ▄█████
      ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████████▀▀
              ▀▀▀██████▀▀▀
            ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
         ▄█▀▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▀█▄
       █▀▀ ▄█████████████▄ ▀▀█
     █▀▀ ███████████████████ ▀▀█
    █▀ ███████████████████████ ▀█
   █▀ ███████████████▀▀ ███████ ▀█
 ▄█▀ ██████████████▀      ▀█████ ▀█▄
███ ███████████▀▀            ▀▀██ ███
███ ███████▀▀                     ███
███ ▀▀▀▀                          ███
▀██▄                             ▄██▀
  ▀█▄                            ▀▀
    █▄       █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
     █▄      ▀█████████▀
      ▀█▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
        ▀▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄
            ▀▀█████
[]
Mushroomized (OP)
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:00:51 PM

A 3D printer would be so cool to have. It just looks like it takes a lot of room. I might be interested in your offer though.

EDIT: By the way, you might want to throw a couple of BTC to that address to let people know you'll have skin in the game too.

They're not that big really.

And I'll be adding to the fund as soon as I buy some more BTC.

hi
Distribution

Activity: 711

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:27:18 PM

How big are they? They look about the size of those overhead transparency projectors from high school. Which isn't huge, but is still kind of bulky.
Mushroomized (OP)
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 06:12:31 PM

How big are they? They look about the size of those overhead transparency projectors from high school. Which isn't huge, but is still kind of bulky.

The dimensions for the best (in my opinion) model is here http://reprap.org/wiki/Huxley It's not that large, and even called "travel size"

hi
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 06:19:12 PM

I have all the materials for making one of these, except the head, how much does an extruder head cost ?

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2011, 08:55:30 PM

I've been wanting a 3d printer since I heard about them years ago.  Then I saw one at a college and REALLY wanted one.

What are you wanting to make with yours?

How much do/will the parts that can't be printed cost?  Would someone be willing to buy these parts in bulk and then sell them for BTC?

Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 06:50:11 PM

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/01/the-pirate-bay-the-next-step-in-copying-will-be-made-from-digital-form-into-physical-form/251894/

Mushroomized (OP)
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 08:43:08 PM

Haha thats awesome, btw i was able to put one btc int he wallet! woooo!

hi
Mushroomized (OP)
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 05:16:25 PM

Well I'm going to shut this down for now. I might buy one myself then sell parts to people or send them to people in the future.

Don't send any money to the address unless you don't want it back!

hi
tonto

Activity: 609

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 05:32:06 PM
Last edit: August 27, 2012, 03:32:20 AM by tonto

Shoot, I missed this thread. Sad

I want a reprap printer (Mendel?) so if you get one mostly done, consider me for purchase. Smiley  At least the electronics assembled/soldered/etc.

I'm always a day late and a dollar short for these sorts of threads *sigh*
Mushroomized (OP)
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 05:37:52 PM

Shoot, I missed this thread. Sad

I want a reprap printer (Mendel?) so if you get one mostly done, consider me for purchase. Smiley  At least the electronics assembled/soldered/etc.

I'm always a late and a dollar short for these sorts of threads *sigh*
Well I stopped since no one was donating, maybe if there is more interest I'll get it started again

hi
tonto

Activity: 609

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 06:59:05 PM

How far along are you? 

With more and more plastic products hitting the shelves everyday, I've been contemplating make my own "spare parts" for various crap.  What really got me thinking (which thusly led me to reprap, etc) was a part on my Dyson vacuum that broke, and i was thinking "crap now what am I going to do".  So I'll still have to buy a replacement, but it would be nice to take various things apart, scan them (or find the files online) and print my own spare parts for when crap breaks.

My boat has a lot of small fragile plastic things that are annoying when they break as well. 

Mushroomized (OP)
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 12:00:53 AM

I didnt get any donations, so i figured noone cared.

hi
weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 12:14:40 AM

It's a cool idea but a thread in this forum is too easy. If you put more work into the idea (website, writings, diagrams, detailed plans) you would have a better chance but for all that you're better off probably just buying one and letting us know how it goes. Or offering to create things for a fee. Still, I think I've seen other threads where people tried that so you have to go one step further. Be creative and you can do something cool. Good luck.
Mushroomized (OP)
Legendary

Hello!

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 12:23:41 AM

It's a cool idea but a thread in this forum is too easy. If you put more work into the idea (website, writings, diagrams, detailed plans) you would have a better chance but for all that you're better off probably just buying one and letting us know how it goes. Or offering to create things for a fee. Still, I think I've seen other threads where people tried that so you have to go one step further. Be creative and you can do something cool. Good luck.
Well, I'll have a website up soon. I'll toss this on project on there, I'll update the thread to let you know. I think we should change focus to PrintrBots (http://printrbot.com/)

hi
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2012, 12:27:21 AM

Well, I'll have a website up soon. I'll toss this on project on there, I'll update the thread to let you know. I think we should change focus to PrintrBots (http://printrbot.com/)

Are they self-replicating and open source?

Still around.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: