Bitcoin Forum
August 11, 2024, 02:15:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: mtgox IP address lockouts - a bit extreme, or a good precaution??  (Read 1925 times)
julz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 03:45:14 AM

I've just had my fixed IP address banned for 24hrs by mtgox - and as far as I can tell I made 2 maybe 3 failed login attempts (presumably fat fingers, capitalisation errors or something)  (I also have a yubikey - but I can't get that far)

Now.. I suppose in theory there could be some trojan on my system trying to log in and therefore there were lots more attempts, but it seems unlikely.
Mtgox should surely report how many failed login attempts have been made.. no?

I'm pretty annoyed at being locked out so damn quickly.  Considering more than one person uses this machine to log in to mtgox, I would hope for an allowance of at least 10 or 20 failed logins - not 2 or 3.

Anyone else been locked out like this?

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 03:51:17 AM

It happened to me because of a programming bug. I think I had around 6 failed attempts... I like this protection measure and 6 attempts seems reasonable. Other exchanges also do this.
julz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 03:54:51 AM

Ok.. well the mtgox support team were pretty quick to respond - so that's good.

They say they saw 5 attempts..

Our system automatically bans IPs after 10 failed login attempts for 24 hours. Unfortunately, we can not raise these limits manually since it is set for all accounts within our system. If you can not remember your password, we recommend you to generate a password recovery email. We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

I guess this is reasonable (though now that I've gone for a long password - I'm pretty likely to get it wrong a few times!)
They've been kind enough to reset it for me.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2011, 03:55:35 AM

agree with you on this, i've been looked out many times in the past until i realized it was the tor bridge causing me the problems. Helping chinese ppl jump over The Firewall can be a real pain in the ass sometimes.

btw, they told me it was impossible to reset the ban  Embarrassed

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
julz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 04:00:15 AM

agree with you on this, i've been looked out many times in the past until i realized it was the tor bridge causing me the problems. Helping chinese ppl jump over The Firewall can be a real pain in the ass sometimes.

btw, they told me it was impossible to reset the ban  Embarrassed

Yeah.. I still think it's set a bit too low.   Also - the user interface doesn't give an obvious response to every click on the login button - does that mean if you click it a few times you're using up attempts? I suspect so Sad

edit: I swear I got the password correct, (had it written down) but it wouldn't let me in. I had to reset it in the end.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: