Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:30:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 20nm DELAYS  (Read 3308 times)
raskul (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 09:11:06 AM
Last edit: March 31, 2014, 08:22:45 PM by raskul

from my blog;

http://rgsneddon.thescribe.eu/#post103

The next generation of bitcoin mining machines, which have been billed to be running with super-efficient 20nm chips, will be delayed by a few months compared to the actual shipping dates initially advised by the bitcoin mining rig manufacturers. In a confidential document seen today, actual cybershuttle cycle time figures on the 20nm technology, which will be included in the Swedish mining manufacturer KnC and the US Cointerra, shows shuttle times of around 130days, with 16nm at 171 days.

KnC announced at the beginning of March this year that they had taped out their chip, which would put the delay of their hotly anticipated ‘Neptune’ 3-terrahash mining rig back, until at least the end of 2014 (Q4). Even if all goes well in the build and test, and KnC keep to their advertised 20nm; looking at the shuttle times, these won’t ship out sample units until at least August, and more likely September with build, testing and packaging yet to be done on the full build for customer batches.

With much frustration emitting from the bitcoin mining community over recent failures by other miner hardware manufacturers to ship on time, and on specifications advertised, this looks to be another hurdle for these companies, who are likely to face yet more angry mobs in IRC channels and internet forums.

The documentation seen today, shows 20nm as a ‘tester’ , or a ‘stepping stone’ for the upcoming 16nm. Let’s hope that these bitcoin miner manufacturers do a good solid burn-in to test their customer’s rigs before shipping them out.

All the manufacturers are doing full masks of course and not shuttle (which is shared die for several designs). Full masks takes more or less the same as shuttle.

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 12:33:06 PM

Ha, I knew it!  Get ready for the spectacular hosted-only "Neptune" plan B. 
Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 01:11:32 PM

Ha, I knew it!  Get ready for the spectacular hosted-only "Neptune" plan B.  

Calm down cloudmining champ Tongue . Remember you can get your hosted Neptune from the time they are late, until they release the actual hardware. You don't have to switch completely from a hardware order to a hosted dat0rhall order.

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
raskul (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 01:30:28 PM

Calm down cloudmining champ Tongue . Remember you can get your hosted Neptune from the time they are late, until they release the actual hardware. You don't have to switch completely from a hardware order to a hosted dat0rhall order.

So the KnC 'Plan B' is to be an added extra to cover delays after all, and not an either/or option with hardware or cloud..? Forgive me if I read that one wrong. I wasn't concentrating on any particular manufacturer when I did my research for the above blog post.

xstr8guy

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 02:42:20 PM

So the KnC 'Plan B' is to be an added extra to cover delays after all, and not an either/or option with hardware or cloud..? Forgive me if I read that one wrong. I wasn't concentrating on any particular manufacturer when I did my research for the above blog post.

I can almost guarantee that you will have to waive your rights to receive hardware if you choose Plan B.
xstr8guy

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 02:43:13 PM

You're wrong.  Just wait.
raskul (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 02:49:57 PM

You're wrong.  Just wait.

i'd be more concerned regarding the stability of any 20nm miners. I have it on good authority that these are simply a stepping stone to 16nm. I would imagine this is why T/O of 20nm (for bitcoin mining) happened so fast... it's a tech which isn't wholly desirable by the mass market. I'll have a 16nm washing machine before you have a 20nm miner.

xstr8guy

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 03:13:11 PM
Last edit: March 31, 2014, 10:44:17 PM by xstr8guy

You're wrong.  Just wait.

i'd be more concerned regarding the stability of any 20nm miners. I have it on good authority that these are simply a stepping stone to 16nm. I would imagine this is why T/O of 20nm (for bitcoin mining) happened so fast... it's a tech which isn't wholly desirable by the mass market. I'll have a 16nm washing machine before you have a 20nm miner.

I don't doubt you will.  That's why I'm sure Plan B is now the only option.
FUKT

Activity: 446

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 08:17:31 PM

from my blog;

The next generation of bitcoin mining machines, which have been billed to be running with super-efficient 20nm chips, will be delayed by a few months compared to the actual shipping dates initially advised by the bitcoin mining rig manufacturers. In a confidential document seen today, actual cybershuttle cycle time figures on the 20nm technology, which will be included in the Swedish mining manufacturer KnC and the US Cointerra, shows shuttle times of around 130days, with 16nm at 171 days.

KnC announced at the beginning of March this year that they had taped out their chip, which would put the delay of their hotly anticipated ‘Neptune’ 3-terrahash mining rig back, until at least the end of 2014 (Q4). Even if all goes well in the build and test, and KnC keep to their advertised 20nm; looking at the shuttle times, these won’t ship out sample units until at least August, and more likely September with build, testing and packaging yet to be done on the full build for customer batches.

With much frustration emitting from the bitcoin mining community over recent failures by other miner hardware manufacturers to ship on time, and on specifications advertised, this looks to be another hurdle for these companies, who are likely to face yet more angry mobs in IRC channels and internet forums.

The documentation seen today, shows 20nm as a ‘tester’ , or a ‘stepping stone’ for the upcoming 16nm. Let’s hope that these bitcoin miner manufacturers do a good solid burn-in to test their customer’s rigs before shipping them out.

All the manufacturers are doing full masks of course and not shuttle (which is shared die for several designs). Full masks takes more or less the same as shuttle.

please donate: 1rgspx9cQwVowJyMG6LT4DGfjdjxSjPVJ

I agree that the 20nm is just a "road map" to 16/14nm. What is strange is that the NRE costs on a 20nm are basically double that of a 28nm, so in terms of the power reduction and speed increase then the 20nm is not a good choice for miners, however since KNC would be factoring their NRE into their prices then it would be a good choice for them.
raskul (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 08:22:35 PM

I agree that the 20nm is just a "road map" to 16/14nm. What is strange is that the NRE costs on a 20nm are basically double that of a 28nm, so in terms of the power reduction and speed increase then the 20nm is not a good choice for miners, however since KNC would be factoring their NRE into their prices then it would be a good choice for them.

not just double the costs, but double the bake-time. And yes, although I think I've probably said to much in other threads, without trying to point fingers at any particular h/w manufacturer - the majority are putting a hefty mark-up on prices. but.. that's just the cost of a money-printing machine i guess.  Undecided

FUKT

Activity: 446

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 08:41:43 PM

not just double the costs, but double the bake-time. And yes, although I think I've probably said to much in other threads, without trying to point fingers at any particular h/w manufacturer - the majority are putting a hefty mark-up on prices. but.. that's just the cost of a money-printing machine i guess.  Undecided

The hefty mark ups could be because of the NRE costs. Because a manufacturer cannot accurately estimate their sales volume then they must price at a low sales volume estimate. However, this still produces close to 200-500% mark up, which also means a 200-500% reduction in a miners potential profit.
raskul (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 08:54:54 PM

The hefty mark ups could be because of the NRE costs. Because a manufacturer cannot accurately estimate their sales volume then they must price at a low sales volume estimate. However, this still produces close to 200-500% mark up, which also means a 200-500% reduction in a miners potential profit.

couple that with the fact that miners will mostly pay the rates offered without argument or barter. If shopping was halted as miners held off from buying, that would be the only cause and reason for h/w manufacturers to drop prices. Doesn't happen though.

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 01:32:00 PM

Weren't we supposed to get plan b? I want my Neptune raskul

raskul (OP)

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 07:53:38 PM

Weren't we supposed to get plan b? I want my Neptune raskul

i'd say.. isn't it about time? but who would listen?

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 07:56:18 PM

http://www.woodlaw.com/blog/customers-unite-bring-class-action-against-butterfly-labs

raskul (OP)

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 07:58:57 PM

"by the time some consumers finally received their equipment, the equipment had become worthless because mining with the equipment was no longer cost effective."

Mining h/w manufacturers:  take note of this. this situation is real and YOU WILL LOSE.

cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1054

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 08:03:18 PM

Where's the proof of the delay or is this some fear mongering?
raskul (OP)

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 08:17:49 PM

Where's the proof of the delay or is this some fear mongering?

sorry I am still in conversations with my sources, therefore cannot divulge the documents shown to me. I have no concern about your trust in me, you may choose to either believe me, or not. It makes no odds to me.

best wishes.

samsonn25

Activity: 882
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 11:20:39 PM

from my blog;

please donate: 1rgspx9cQwVowJyMG6LT4DGfjdjxSjPVJ

The difficulty will probably be over 200 Billion by the time 20nm is established.  How much hashing power will be needed then just to break even with electricity costs?  Theoretical 50TH machine would lose $ thousands per month

The main problem is network difficulty, but chip power efficiency will delay the losses somewhat
Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 11:37:43 PM

20nm won't provide much of an increase in efficiency, and in this miners are about to hit a hardware wall. 14 or 16 nm will provide even less of an efficiency bump at one hell of a tab for NRE. As we're not even at 20nm as the standard chip size, we're a long ways from 16nm and 14nm. 28-40 will be the norm for a while to come yet.

From AsicMINER Gen 1 140nm to KnC 28nm the difference is huge, but that difference is now less and less and more and more expense to develop and produce. $/hash should now effectively stabilize since there isn't much lower they can go, and the benefits of doing so are nill. Whatever efficiency bonus gained is instantly wiped out by extremely high cost per chip.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: