Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 04:06:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What does it mean that a miner can lose its work?  (Read 646 times)
konradp (OP)

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 01:18:04 PM

Hi.

I've read entire topic here : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=108533.0 and I don't quite understand one thing: very often I could read that a miner can "lose their work/shares", for example "Good pools support it (mining.reconnect), so they don't force you to throw away your shares when a disconnect happens"

I thought that as soon as a miner finds a share which is <= share difficulty then it immediately sends it to the pool, so how can it "lose" shares?
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 03:09:18 PM

It's not rocket science.  There's a finite time between getting a share, working on it, and then sending it back to the pool.  In that time, if there's a disconnection, then the share is lost. 
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1091

Think for yourself

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 03:30:49 PM

ckolivas has already commented on this.

When you have disconnection and you reconnect, since work isn't tied to difficulty, when you reconnect and submit a unit of work the pool doesn't know what difficulty the work was done at so it doesn't know at what rate to pay for that share.  So it is lost effort.

I think that is the gist anyway.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
konradp (OP)

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 05:59:57 AM

OK, thanks.

That topic is so long, that sometimes I caught myself reading without fully understanding.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: