Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 01:18:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My Family just bought Bitcoins! Finally!  (Read 1832 times)
dannyspk (OP)

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 02:47:06 PM

The title says it all. I don't come from a wealthy family and there's very little attention paid to Bitcoin in my country - Pakistan. But they witnessed the transformation Bitcoin caused in my life within a period of 7 months. I bought 100 BTC back then in July 2013 and sold 40% of them in December. It was very hard to convince them but I believe you can only educate the masses through consistency and setting an example of yourself.

Fast forward to 31st March, 2014: My sister bought 5 BTC. My parents bought 10 BTC. My relatives and a guy who works for me bought 4 BTC in total. Now I know they are only in here for a solid return on their investment and not for the greater cause but I don't really blame them. Once they hodl and I've specifically told them to have a long-term approach, they sure are gonna read/research about it for the next 6 months. Maybe, this is how they they will believe in it. Maybe this is how we need to educate people around us about BTC. Be persistent and make the change on a personal level.

tl;dr, btc is gaining more momentum around the world than you think.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 02:48:19 PM

Congratulations on your liberation from empire-scrip slavery!

Hold onto it for at least 3 years, no matter what anyone tells you.

I did, and now I will never be burdened by work again. I'll never have to face the horror of wage-slavery again. I used to work for $10 / hour! Unbelievable! Insane!

https://medium.com/what-i-learned-today/1a812f8fa7cd

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
trout

Activity: 333
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 02:51:02 PM

how easy is it to  buy/sell btc in Pakistan
(for someone who doesn't have an account in a foreign bank)?

How much (if anything) would
you  need to pay on top of say bitstamp rates (due to possibly larger spreads and/or
fees for deposit/withdrawals)?
dannyspk (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 02:54:00 PM

how easy is it to  buy/sell btc in Pakistan
(for someone who doesn't have an account in a foreign bank)?

How much (if anything) would
you  need to pay on top of say bitstamp rates (due to possibly larger spreads and/or
fees for deposit/withdrawals)?

http://readygold.com/Rates--and--Fees.php

Around 10% in fees if I want in my currency. But it's instant. I get it right away!
5thStreetResearch

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 02:55:51 PM

Congratulations on your liberation from empire-scrip slavery!

Hold onto it for at least 3 years, no matter what anyone tells you.

I did, and now I will never be burdened by work again. I'll never have to face the horror of wage-slavery again. I used to work for $10 / hour! Unbelievable! Insane!

https://medium.com/what-i-learned-today/1a812f8fa7cd

hope you sold a lot of that position or you're gonna be "burdened" again soon enough

Beliathon

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 02:58:13 PM

hope you sold a lot of that position or you're gonna be "burdened" again soon enough
I sold nothing, why would I want worthless fiat clown-currency when I can have real money?

You fail to understand what's happening here. This is a paradigm shift in the way we think about and use money. Technology only marches in one direction my friend, and that's forward.

That said, I completely divested from my nation's pretend-money early enough in the crypto game that I could sell a tiny fraction of my BTC wealth and completely recover, even now. Would still be true at 200.

If you're wondering, it's because I am in possession of a far more powerful engine for probability than you are (my brain).

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
lnternet

Activity: 299
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 02:59:11 PM

Please make sure they are educated on security. 2 factor login, encrypted wallets, backsups, cold storage.

1ntemetqbXokPSSkuHH4iuAJRTQMP6uJ9
dannyspk (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 03:17:42 PM

Please make sure they are educated on security. 2 factor login, encrypted wallets, backsups, cold storage.

Good idea. Thanks!
SirWilliam

Activity: 248

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 03:29:10 PM

Yeah, make sure they don't get their coins stolen! Anyway, nice entry, looks like it just bottomed and is movin' on up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHDwRECFL8M
whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 03:31:13 PM

You bought Bitcoin and then you sold it.

So how exactly did it change your life?

Do you mean the FIAT you got out of Bitcoin transformed your life?

You have to be honest here.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 03:52:48 PM

Congratulations to your family, I hope they can learn and educate others about bitcoin and the possibliltes it gives us all!

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
freequant

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 03:55:21 PM

What is a backsup?
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 04:02:16 PM

They picked a great time to buy!   Grin  You were wise to sell some in December too.  Are you replenishing some of the coins you sold right now?

It is cool to hear stories like this! 

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
lnternet

Activity: 299
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 04:05:02 PM

what is a backsup?

You should do backsups freequantly.

1ntemetqbXokPSSkuHH4iuAJRTQMP6uJ9
dannyspk (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 04:44:36 PM

You bought Bitcoin and then you sold it.

So how exactly did it change your life?

Do you mean the FIAT you got out of Bitcoin transformed your life?

You have to be honest here.

Uh, yeah? I have to pay bills you know.
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 07:21:25 PM

I sold nothing, why would I want worthless fiat clown-currency when I can have real money?

You fail to understand what's happening here. This is a paradigm shift in the way we think about and use money. Technology only marches in one direction my friend, and that's forward.

That said, I completely divested from my nation's pretend-money early enough in the crypto game that I could sell a tiny fraction of my BTC wealth and completely recover, even now. Would still be true at 200.

If you're wondering, it's because I am in possession of a far more powerful engine for probability than you are (my brain).

That or its all gonna pass like a fad kinda like myspace....

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 07:36:31 PM

The title says it all. I don't come from a wealthy family and there's very little attention paid to Bitcoin in my country - Pakistan. But they witnessed the transformation Bitcoin caused in my life within a period of 7 months. I bought 100 BTC back then in July 2013 and sold 40% of them in December. It was very hard to convince them but I believe you can only educate the masses through consistency and setting an example of yourself.

Fast forward to 31st March, 2014: My sister bought 5 BTC. My parents bought 10 BTC. My relatives and a guy who works for me bought 4 BTC in total. Now I know they are only in here for a solid return on their investment and not for the greater cause but I don't really blame them. Once they hodl and I've specifically told them to have a long-term approach, they sure are gonna read/research about it for the next 6 months. Maybe, this is how they they will believe in it. Maybe this is how we need to educate people around us about BTC. Be persistent and make the change on a personal level.

tl;dr, btc is gaining more momentum around the world than you think.

You have done very good deal Smiley

This is such a great moment to buy some Smiley you will need to hodl it just for a while Wink and profits are going to be quite impressive IMO Smiley
dannyspk (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 08:36:25 PM

They picked a great time to buy!   Grin  You were wise to sell some in December too.  Are you replenishing some of the coins you sold right now?

It is cool to hear stories like this! 

They had my help and I hope my hunch doesn't disappoint me. Yes. Made small losses here and there but I'm overall loaded for the next rally. Wink
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 08:44:33 PM

Everyone should buy them.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Beliathon

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 09:43:22 PM

That or its all gonna pass like a fad kinda like myspace....
Yep, just like the internet did... and the torrent.. and electricity.. and every other brilliant, game-changing paradigm-shift in the history of technological innovation.

Comparing cryptocurrency to Myspace is like comparing the airplane to the Skip It. In other words, it's borderline retarded.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: