Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 11:02:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Island  (Read 9674 times)
French_Coin_Corporation

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 12:57:23 PM

Baitty

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 01:40:23 PM

To be honest i think this is a wild and crazy thing but if this is to actually come to fruition you would have to buy a micronation, one that had enough land for people to actually live there. We are talking about spending TONS of money, could you pull it together? Maybe.  Also if you find anyone actually willing to sell you might be able to get ThePirateBay to go in maybe 10-20% if you make a deal with them for certain laws and them moving there. (as they were in talks of making their own nation to avoid copyright laws)

It may be wild and crazy but it is possible and would be awesome if it could be done.

Currently held as collateral by monbux
the_K_man

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 01:53:14 PM

Seriously an awesome idea! Grin

Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 01:58:56 PM

To be honest i think this is a wild and crazy thing but if this is to actually come to fruition you would have to buy a micronation, one that had enough land for people to actually live there. We are talking about spending TONS of money, could you pull it together? Maybe.  Also if you find anyone actually willing to sell you might be able to get ThePirateBay to go in maybe 10-20% if you make a deal with them for certain laws and them moving there. (as they were in talks of making their own nation to avoid copyright laws)

It may be wild and crazy but it is possible and would be awesome if it could be done.

but can we TRUST people then to buy movies and download music from approved sources (i.e. Itunes, spotify).  instead??  regulation is good, especially when most people would rather steal stuff than buy it

i am here.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 02:52:07 PM

Why are we not funding this???

In all truthfulness, however, it is actually a pretty good idea. Moving all the miners and users together onto a relatively small island, making it easier to create contracts or directly confront miners about nearing the 51% mark, although cex.io would next to definitely just keep their facilities on the mainland...

What would the economy be like though? There wouldn't necessarily be a lot of natural resources, and it is more tropical, so...

I have a feeling that importing and exporting would be pretty big however.
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2014, 03:40:05 PM

Would definitely be an interesting experiment, that I for one would enjoy watching.

EFFV

Activity: 278
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 08:35:00 PM

This is an awesome idea, I agree someone needs to reach out to the pirate bay. We could work together.

"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves."  -Lao Tzu
My Trust Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=474589.new#new
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 09:01:18 PM

If this happened it would make bitcoin look like a joke and a cult, this is how delegitmize a technology by all moving to an island and moving all miners there, it is a bad idea.

...unless we move somewhere to become the majority new hampshire project-style: maybe there are states small enough and liberal enough in conceding citizenship to make it possible. Alternatively grouping a big enough amount of coins/money we could negotiate a deal including quasi-sovereignty on some rock or plot of land (in fiat affairs they call them "free trade zones").

P.S. never underestimate jokes and cults, especially about money  Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]  All
  Print  

Jump to: