Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:02:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet.dat missing?  (Read 2656 times)
davidpbrown

Activity: 531
Merit: 260

Vires in Numeris

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 09:20:53 PM

I think that it's almost impossible that OP overwrote it with a fresh Bitcoin client version because the Bitcoin zipped files do NOT contain a wallet.dat file, or anything but the program files as far as I know.

Yes, I don't know in Windoh's whether a folder might delete the existing folder or something clumsy that puts a non existent wallet in place of the existing one.. and then recreates it once it's started. OP unclear exactly what they did do, so user error seems likely.

฿://12vxXHdmurFP3tpPk7bt6YrM3XPiftA82s
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
flytosky (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 09:22:09 PM

'Recuva' was a program I have used in the past, and appears to still be free on first look. You could give this a try and have it attempt to recover from the specific location of the wallet.dat

http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download

Will attempt this method.
Injust
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 09:25:43 PM

'Recuva' was a program I have used in the past, and appears to still be free on first look. You could give this a try and have it attempt to recover from the specific location of the wallet.dat

http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download

Will attempt this method.

Are you booted into Windows on the computer you want to recover the wallet from?
If so, I would STRONGLY advise you to boot from a USB/CD/DVD because using that hard drive more will just result in a lesser chance of recovering the wallet.
flytosky (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 09:28:40 PM

I think that it's almost impossible that OP overwrote it with a fresh Bitcoin client version because the Bitcoin zipped files do NOT contain a wallet.dat file, or anything but the program files as far as I know.

Yes, I don't know in Windoh's whether a folder might delete the existing folder or something clumsy that puts a non existent wallet in place of the existing one.. and then recreates it once it's started. OP unclear exactly what they did do, so user error seems likely.
New bitcoin client may have caused this issue.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 09:30:42 PM

The program is in a different folder than the wallet & blockchain.  The "data directory" is never touched when you install a new version.
flytosky (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 10:47:02 PM

Looking to resolve this issue
ibminer
Legendary

Activity: 1819
Merit: 2792

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 11:10:40 PM

Not to challenge your intelligence, but I assume you've done a simple 'search' on your entire drive for 'wallet.dat'  in case you drag & dropped it somewhere??   Shocked

And have you checked the blockchain to see if any of your coins have moved?  

There is also the off chance that the updated client you downloaded was not authentic or maybe you just have a wallet stealing trojan sitting on your machine…

Unfortunately, in either situation, it seems unlikely you will recover the coins.

If it is an extreme amount of coins, you may be able to pay for a forensic data recovery service?   Undecided

EDIT: I will also add you could attempt using 'system restore', but I am pretty sure it doesn't backup the AppData folder

S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 11:16:56 PM

I don't know what happened to my original response to this - probably someone deleted it - but.....

Are you trying to recover a wallet from a computer that belongs to YOU?

ibminer
Legendary

Activity: 1819
Merit: 2792

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 11:18:02 PM

I don't know what happened to my original response to this - probably someone deleted it - but.....

Why would you assume it doesn't belong to him/her?  Huh

flytosky (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 11:18:18 PM

Not to challenge your intelligence, but I assume you've done a simple 'search' on your entire drive for 'wallet.dat'  in case you drag & dropped it somewhere??   Shocked

And have you checked the blockchain to see if any of your coins have moved?  

There is also the off chance that the updated client you downloaded was not authentic or maybe you just have a wallet stealing trojan sitting on your machine…

Unfortunately, in either situation, it seems unlikely you will recover the coins.

If it is an extreme amount of coins, you may be able to pay for a forensic data recovery service?   Undecided

EDIT: I will also add you could attempt using 'system restore', but I am pretty sure it doesn't backup the AppData folder
BTC is located in the wallet unmoved.
S4VV4S

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 11:29:46 PM

Hey, I seen a lot of things!

Besides the only way for this to happen is if he logged in with a different account.
Nothing else makes sense to me.

That being said, if the OP can prove that he/she is the rightful owner of that PC/Laptop I can recover his/her wallet and it doesn't even matter if he/she formatted their drive 10 times by now.

Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 11:48:53 PM

thats disaster, do backups man, put them in diffirent spots etc.
now you can recover files but dont do writes any.... coz that would disable this opportunity
Injust
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 12:10:56 AM

Besides the only way for this to happen is if he logged in with a different account.

That being said, if the OP can prove that he/she is the rightful owner of that PC/Laptop I can recover his/her wallet and it doesn't even matter if he/she formatted their drive 10 times by now.

Would you care to explain how you could accomplish this? Smiley
S4VV4S

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 12:12:44 AM

Why would you assume it doesn't belong to him/her?  Huh

Would you care to explain how you could accomplish this? Smiley

Yes, all I need is an image of the drive Wink
The rest is up to me Wink

EDIT: The OP can prove he/she owns the PC/Laptop by providing me with the Log in details - not that I need it - but to make sure.
EDIT 2: Just in case, I can recover the wallet before I am given any Log in details.
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 12:21:33 AM

What version of windows? If its Vista+ then getting it back is easy peasy.... enter VSS ( a godsend for situations like this)

Right click on the folder where wallet.dat should be, select 'restore previous versions' ... if VSS is set up properly on ur system you will see several folders listed w/ date stamps .. if so, just open a folder that has a timestamp before your wallet.dat went missing, and copy wallet.dat out of it and into the spot where its missing.
Problem solved.

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
S4VV4S

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 12:26:41 AM

What version of windows? If its Vista+ then getting it back is easy peasy.... enter VSS ( a godsend for situations like this)

Right click on the folder where wallet.dat should be, select 'restore previous versions' ... if VSS is set up properly on ur system you will see several folders listed w/ date stamps .. if so, just a folder that has a timestamp before your wallet.dat went missing, and copy wallet.dat out of it and into the spot where its missing.
Problem solved.

You do realize that you are telling a newbie how to recover wallet.dat from a PC that we have no idea if it belongs to him/her right?

GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 12:31:36 AM

Right click on the folder where wallet.dat should be, select 'restore previous versions' ... if VSS is set up properly on ur system you will see several folders listed w/ date stamps .. if so, just a folder that has a timestamp before your wallet.dat went missing, and copy wallet.dat out of it and into the spot where its missing.
Problem solved.

You do realize that you are telling a newbie how to recover wallet.dat from a PC that we have no idea if it belongs to him/her right?

So, have several others....
If its not theirs then, the original person should have had the wallet.dat encrypted =P

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
S4VV4S

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 12:33:14 AM

Problem solved.

So, have several others....
If its not theirs then, the original person should have had the wallet.dat encrypted =P

True that!
sssubito

Activity: 35

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 12:37:57 AM

The OP isn't very informative on what happened to the full extend.

I can't remember having read which windows version he uses. This could be vital info.
If it's any recent version with standard setup of primary partition C:\ he might use "recent version" feature for the Bitcoin folder to extract any older/recent version of wallet.dat, even if it got deleted. I would try that first (in the non-destructive way). But read next paragraph first and obey the advise.

But the very first step to do is to make as early as possible a complete image backup of the Windows partition which holds the vital data.
It depends on how many Bitcoins might be in danger, but I'd do that even for less than one Bitcoin. The basic idea is to be able to recover a known starting state before tinkering with the system while trying to fix the issue. If you do something wrong, breath smoothly, and recover your old state to start again.

The OP said that his Bitcoin client started to reload the blockchain. (We still don't know which version of the Bitcoin client the OP uses. You get the point? Pretty scarce information policy by the OP... why that? Do I smell something fishy? Strange that a lot of other posters didn't mind to ask obvious questions...). I have no idea why the Bitcoin client felt the need to reload the blockchain, but again valuable information isn't available to judge. (OK, OP might not be expert enough to know what is important and what isn't.)
The walled.dat might be just fine. As long as the blockchain data hasn't been downloaded, I guess, the Bitcoin client won't show much to be in the wallet.dat (I might be wrong here, as it could flag the Bitcoins in the (old) wallet.dat as still unconfirmed.)
As others said, normal client won't touch the data directory in any harmful way.

I won't emphasize too much on the unspeakable stupidity to not have any backups, especially when substantial amounts of Bitcoins are in question. So, I guess you don't care much about the data on your hard drive which could fail at any time, btw. I have seen hard drives passing away, though not completely by surprise. Well, it happens here and there...

I hope you can recover your lost data and I wish you learn your lesson to show more respect to your valuable data goods on your hard drive. Not all data deserve it, Bitcoins surely do!
willphase

Activity: 767
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 12:45:17 AM

sounds like the OP logged in as a different user, or Windows created a new profile because it was corrupted.  Probably the old wallet.dat is around on the HD somewhere else.

Try searching in C:\Users for another directory

Will

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: