Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:55:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: It is time for an official protest  (Read 3808 times)
zby (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 02:02:58 PM

Calling bitcoin 'illegally invented' as in the CBS press release about the "Bitcoin for Dummies" episode of "Good Wife" is a clear defamation and demands a legal action.

Link to the announcement text: http://1.hidemyass.com/ip-4/encoded/Oi8vd3d3LmNic3ByZXNzZXhwcmVzcy5jb20vY2JzLWVudGVydGFpbm1lbnQvcmVsZWFzZXMvdmlldz9pZD0zMDE3Nw%3D%3D&f=norefer

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Tril

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 02:34:11 PM

now that's something the EFF might be able to help with.  Creating open source software is not illegal
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 02:44:40 PM

I understand your position. But looking for accuracy in a TV show is quite a battle. I would not know where to start, and I doubt it would ever end.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
epetroel

Activity: 431
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 02:51:30 PM

Also, I don't think the law recognizes defamation of a computer program.
zby (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 02:54:04 PM

There are companies that depend on the Bitcoin system - imagine that there was a TV show about someone 'illegally inventing Microsoft Windows'.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 02:57:40 PM

I agree, calling "illegal" something that is perfectly legal is defamation. The fact that bitcoin is decentralized doesn't mean they can do whatever they want cause "ahah there is no central organization"

koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 03:03:31 PM

There are companies that depend on the Bitcoin system - imagine that there was a TV show about someone 'illegally inventing Microsoft Windows'.

you have a point there.  the script doesn't appear to mention satoshi by name nor bitcoin.  it is only in the title of the episode that the word bitcoin appears.  a reasonable person could confuse the fictional story on tv with the real-world bitcoin currency.  the bitcoin foundation doesn't exist yet -- what to do?
SaintFlow

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

The first is by definition not flawed.

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 03:05:26 PM

yes - I will join your protest

while secretly being happy since illegal usually implies a certain attraction
for a youth culture to form around it.

don't let me make you question your assumptions
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 03:07:25 PM

it will be great if tv show sparks hot debate Wink

imagine south park doing an episode around bitcoin, how do you think they would portray this community, given their satirical caricature perspective? Smiley   the bitcoin messiah, the hoard of trolls, darknet gods, alpachas and one dude with big round glasses and squeaky voice shining like a light bulb
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 03:26:15 PM

Well well, isn't this quite retarded.

Some forum members are butthurt because a fiction TV show called their favorite hobby 'illegal', and their arguement is that businesses who use it should be protected?

There is no one to sue them, and no reason to sue, much less no one to sue in the first place.

Microsoft is a registered company and trademark. Windows is a registered trademark and patent. You want to play with decentralized fire, you should expect to get burned.

If any business owner out there is stupid enough to accept a payment method associated with high amounts of fraud for example, they deserve to reap the rewards of public disapproval. It is very clear to me that very few of the members in this forum, especially in this thread, have ever run a healthy and successful business.

zby (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 03:44:42 PM

Some forum members are butthurt because a fiction TV show called their favorite hobby 'illegal', and their arguement is that businesses who use it should be protected?

There is no one to sue them, and no reason to sue, much less no one to sue in the first place.

Microsoft is a registered company and trademark. Windows is a registered trademark and patent. You want to play with decentralized fire, you should expect to get burned.

If any business owner out there is stupid enough to accept a payment method associated with high amounts of fraud for example, they deserve to reap the rewards of public disapproval. It is very clear to me that very few of the members in this forum, especially in this thread, have ever run a healthy and successful business.

Ha ha - I see you get very ideologicaly frustrated about this idea.  Relax.

Legally it will all depend on many details, and I am not a lawyer - but a protest about it would not do any harm, I can assure you.
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 03:56:47 PM

LOL ... illegal inventors! That's a new idea, let's make inventions illegal! Better run and hide once you noticed you've had an idea! Roll Eyes

On one hand, it's an insult, but on the other media stupidity is increasingly amusing.
Flip Tulipcoin

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 03:57:58 PM

+1

Not to mention beware the "Streisand Effect":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

If some yoyo actually filed a lawsuit or went whining to some government agency ( I don't know of one in the U.S. that would actually care or have any jurisdiction in the matter ), half the internet would be competing to see who could most effectively belittle the effort to bloody shreds, cook them until charred black, and then do it again. Wow, I'd like to see that, go for it, somebody, please?  Wink
epetroel

Activity: 431
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 04:00:01 PM

imagine that there was a TV show about someone 'illegally inventing Microsoft Windows'.

Remember the movie "Antitrust"?  Of course they never mentioned Microsoft by name, but the "evil" company in the movie is obviously based on Microsoft, and the "evil" founder is obviously supposed to be Bill Gates.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 04:00:54 PM

I think he is speaking about fiat money

dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 04:01:00 PM

Calling bitcoin 'illegally invented' as in the CBS press release about the "Bitcoin for Dummies" episode of "Good Wife" is a clear defamation and demands a legal action.

Link to the announcement text: http://1.hidemyass.com/ip-4/encoded/Oi8vd3d3LmNic3ByZXNzZXhwcmVzcy5jb20vY2JzLWVudGVydGFpbm1lbnQvcmVsZWFzZXMvdmlldz9pZD0zMDE3Nw%3D%3D&f=norefer

It's a drama - the show is about legal issues as I understand it. The whole premise of the show is that a lawyer defending Satoshi is required to reveal the details of his client to the Government and has employed another lawyer to defend him. ie the show is about the legality or otherwise of bitcoin. The legality issue is being tested in the narrative.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 04:12:32 PM

It's a drama - the show is about legal issues as I understand it. The whole premise of the show is that a lawyer defending Satoshi is required to reveal the details of his client to the Government and has employed another lawyer to defend him. ie the show is about the legality or otherwise of bitcoin. The legality issue is being tested in the narrative.

Even if the show flatout said that Bitcoin was illegal, they would have all the right in the world to do so as an entertainment drama. Can we sue zombie movie producers for saying that you can kill them with shotguns? Can we sue CSI for zooming in infinately on things that have poor quality?

At least it's refreshing to see other people here as apparently bored as I am enough to start a thread like this.

zby (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 04:19:23 PM

imagine that there was a TV show about someone 'illegally inventing Microsoft Windows'.

Remember the movie "Antitrust"?  Of course they never mentioned Microsoft by name, but the "evil" company in the movie is obviously based on Microsoft, and the "evil" founder is obviously supposed to be Bill Gates.
So why do you think they did not use those names?
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 04:24:20 PM

So why do you think they did not use those names?

Big mystery here.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2011, 04:35:28 PM

Matthew and Flip Tulipcoin, two of my favorites, in the same thread!  If only they were on opposite sides of the issues - now that would be entertainment gold.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: