Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:35:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [OOS] Brand new 5870s for $139.99 again  (Read 5521 times)
Mousepotato (OP)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 04:45:01 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2012, 06:59:50 PM by Mousepotato

This time with free shipping

http://www.bensoutlet.com/products/ati-5870

Merry Xmas

Mousepotato

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shakaru

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

QUIFAS EXCHANGE

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 03:52:08 AM

WOW! I can save over $400!

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
                         ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
                       ▄███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▄
                     ▄█████▄▄██████████████▄▄█████▄
        ██████  █████████▄████████████████████▄█████
        ██████  ███████▄████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▄████
                      ▄██████▀████████████▀██████▄████
███████   █████████████████████████████████████████████
███████   █████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████
                     █████████████████████████████████
            ██████████▀██████▄████████████▄██████▀████
            ███████████▀████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄███
                    █████▀████████████████▄▀██████▄
                     ▀█████▀▀██████████████▀██▀██████▄
                       ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀
                         ▀▀██████████████████▀▀
                             ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
QUIFAS                    
                    ███
 █              ███ ███
 █              ███  █
███          █  ███
███         ███  █
███  █      ███  █
    ███  █  ███  █
    ███ ███  █   █
     █   █   █
     █      
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 02:42:54 PM

Merry Xmas

sweet.  picked up 5 for another 2G rig!

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
chungenhung
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 08:55:02 PM

Merry Xmas

You wouldn't wait for the 7 series? they are just around the corner and supposedly cut power consumption by a wide margin. That is... if you are paying for electric.
jjshabadoo

Activity: 535
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 11:43:26 PM

Just bought 8, thanks for the head's up. I have used 5970's exclusively, looking forward to playing with these.
jjiimm_64
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 08:22:33 PM

Merry Xmas

You wouldn't wait for the 7 series? they are just around the corner and supposedly cut power consumption by a wide margin. That is... if you are paying for electric.

I am paying for electric, but any shiny new ati card like that will be well over 500 buck, for maybe 450Mhash?

I can get 3 5870's for that price and get 1200Mhsh

Mousepotato (OP)

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 08:38:47 PM

From the initial findings, the answer is no.  58XX is still king:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-hd-7970-benchmark-tahiti-gcn,review-32344-14.html

HD7970: 414 Mh/s @ 254 W
HD5870: 375 Mh/s @ 190 W

Straight out of the box w/o overclocking.

Mousepotato
Xenomorph

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 10:53:32 PM

Merry Xmas

Who/what is "Ben's Outlet"??

Anyone have experience with them?
jjiimm_64
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 11:00:02 PM

From the initial findings, the answer is no.  58XX is still king:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-hd-7970-benchmark-tahiti-gcn,review-32344-14.html

HD7970: 414 Mh/s @ 254 W
HD5870: 375 Mh/s @ 190 W

Straight out of the box w/o overclocking.

and they didn't even do the 5970, which would blow both of them away for power/Mh

Mousepotato (OP)

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 11:03:45 PM

Who/what is "Ben's Outlet"??

Anyone have experience with them?

Friend of mine here at work sent me the link since he knows I'm into ATI cards.  He said that he's bought products off BensOutlet.com before without problems, unless you count taking longer than expected to arrive as a real problem.

Mousepotato
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2011, 02:59:27 AM
Last edit: December 23, 2011, 03:27:00 AM by BkkCoins

want has but shipping fail...

ill be going to bkk soon to find out the prices
I had a look last week at Pantip and mostly what I saw was 6770/6850 and similar cards for rather high prices. Anything faster is way, way over priced. In the past I've always imported cards myself from NewEgg or eBay sometimes. The shipping hurts but not as much as lack of competitiveness in the market here. Though, this may be a great place to sell off used cards as locals don't seem to mind paying like new prices for used stuff Smiley

Anyway, it's quite hard to find 58xx cards here.

ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 06:48:13 PM

Merry Xmas

Out of Stock?
Mousepotato (OP)

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 06:59:40 PM

Yeah, looks like it.  Oh well, it ran for at least a week before supply was depleted.

Mousepotato
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 07:46:55 PM

I got mine today, all 7 of them. Came in OEM boxes (no accessories), in shipping bags marked with 1saleaday.com  Grin
All appear to be brand new, as advertised. Only issue with 2 of them were bent brackets, but that was easily fixed with pliers.
They don't *look* like refurbs, because there is no dust at all and no smudging and so forth, but I am not sure if there is any other way to tell.
There are stickers on them marked with what appears to be a manufacturing date or something - they are marked Nov. 2011, so perhaps that means refurb? Dunno.

Anyways, good product at a steal of a price.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Mousepotato (OP)

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 08:40:43 PM

I got mine today, all 7 of them. Came in OEM boxes (no accessories), in shipping bags marked with 1saleaday.com  Grin
All appear to be brand new, as advertised. Only issue with 2 of them were bent brackets, but that was easily fixed with pliers.
They don't *look* like refurbs, because there is no dust at all and no smudging and so forth, but I am not sure if there is any other way to tell.
There are stickers on them marked with what appears to be a manufacturing date or something - they are marked Nov. 2011, so perhaps that means refurb? Dunno.

Anyways, good product at a steal of a price.

Are the stickers small round silver stickers with black print on them?  If so, I saw a guy selling a 5850 locally that had a similar sticker.  I didn't know they were making 58XXs as recently as two months ago.  I wonder if they were just getting rid of remaining stock or if they're actually refurbs.

Mousepotato
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 08:43:41 PM

Are the stickers small round silver stickers with black print on them?  If so, I saw a guy selling a 5850 locally that had a similar sticker.  I didn't know they were making 58XXs as recently as two months ago.  I wonder if they were just getting rid of remaining stock or if they're actually refurbs.
Yep they were, and I was thinking the same - probably not manufactured this recently, so perhaps it means refurb. Anyways, I have 4 of them running now, giving me 1700 Mhash/s (very slight OC to 950). Waiting for PCIe extenders and other bits to get the other 3 running.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Mousepotato (OP)

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 08:54:33 PM

Yep they were, and I was thinking the same - probably not manufactured this recently, so perhaps it means refurb. Anyways, I have 4 of them running now, giving me 1700 Mhash/s (very slight OC to 950). Waiting for PCIe extenders and other bits to get the other 3 running.

I was thinking refurb too, but then again I think they keep a small lot of parts on hand to handle warranty claims.  Maybe these were just the remaining reserves?

Mousepotato
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 08:58:09 PM

I was thinking refurb too, but then again I think they keep a small lot of parts on hand to handle warranty claims.  Maybe these were just the remaining reserves?
I suppose that would make sense too.

sveetsnelda

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 02:50:17 AM

They're refurbished cards (I have 16 of them).  They were posted on 1saleaday and they didn't sell them all.  Afterward, they were posted on BensOutlet (same owner?) but the cards shipped from 1saleaday regardless.

The metallic sticker with the date on it is the date it was refurbished.  Out of 16 cards, I had one that was improperly refurbished.  When I first saw the card temp (at idle), it was a bit higher than the other card (even though it was in the 2nd slot and could breathe better).  I didn't notice that the fan speed was much higher than the other card though.

As soon as I started a miner, I watched the temp rise *much* more quickly than the other card in the machine.  I thought the fan was dead or something.  After listening to the fan quickly ramp up and the temperature keep climbing past 75c (even though the fan had crept up to 70%), I shut it down.  I disassembled the card and quickly saw why this was happening:

Yeah.  See how the diamond shaped "cutout" in the top heatsink has perfectly straight edges and is aligned properly?  The bottom cutout looks like someone grabbed a razor and just eyeballed it.  It's hard to tell in the image, but it's even slightly rotated.  The top heatsink was also from one of refurbished 5870s (from the same batch), but it was actually assembled correctly.

I took some sandpaper to the heatsink, removed the coating, sanded again with finer paper, and reassembled both cards with diamond thermal paste.  These cards went into my daily use machine (which mines when I'm not using it).  With the fans left on auto, they both sit around only 31 and 32 percent fan speed while mining (at 79 degrees C).  Considering that they're Bitcoin mining, they're very quiet.

Thumbs up for cheap cards though   Grin

14u2rp4AqFtN5jkwK944nn741FnfF714m7
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 02:56:01 AM

The metallic sticker with the date on it is the date it was refurbished.  Out of 16 cards, I had one that was improperly refurbished.  When I first saw the card temp (at idle), it was a bit higher than the other card (even though it was in the 2nd slot and could breathe better).  I didn't notice that the fan speed was much higher than the other card though.

As soon as I started a miner, I watched the temp rise *much* more quickly than the other card in the machine.  I thought the fan was dead or something.  After listening to the fan quickly ramp up and the temperature keep climbing past 75c (even though the fan had crept up to 70%), I shut it down.  I disassembled the card and quickly saw why this was happening:
Ah ha. I also noticed one of my cards being about 5-10 degrees hotter than the others, so I whipped out a BIOS editor and took a look. Not only did that one card have a different checksum then the other 3 that I looked at, it also had previously had its BIOS replaced with a modded one, according to the tool I was using.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: