Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:48:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-03-31] The New Yorker --- L.P.D.: LIBERTARIAN POLICE DEPARTMENT  (Read 1747 times)
ProfMac (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 11:54:57 PM

A view into a Libertarian Future.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/shouts/2014/03/libertarian-police-department.html

I try to be respectful and informed.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 02:21:42 AM

Tom O’Donnell’s children’s novel, “Space Rocks!” is out now.

I suspect that explains the New Yorker in brief, it is written for the benefit of the childlike?

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 04:07:14 AM

"Now, which one of you punks is going to pay me to investigate this crime?"
Gee, I dunno, detective, how about the one who was actually robbed? Might they be interested in paying you to investigate the crime? Roll Eyes I guess the moral of the story is, when you're choosing your private police force to protect you, don't hire the one whose detectives shoot up heroin in their cruisers, no matter how cheap they are. It's worth paying extra for sober detectives.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 06:36:07 AM

“Home Depot™ presents The Police!®” I said, flashing my badge and my gun and a small picture of Ron Paul. “Nobody move unless you want to!” They didn’t.

“Now, which one of you punks is going to pay me to investigate this crime?” No one spoke up.

“Come on,” I said. “Don’t you all understand that the protection of private property is the foundation of all personal liberty?”

It didn’t seem like they did.

Somewhat funny at times.
The author doesn't really believe freedom will work.

ProfMac (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 06:42:12 PM

I do think it was a bunch of clichés strung together in a messy heap.  It could have been edited for another day, and really presented from the Libertarian viewpoint instead of parody.  But as they say, any publicity is good publicity.

I try to be respectful and informed.
chufchuf

Activity: 205
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 07:51:56 PM

Well 'libertarianism' is anger from the political far right and because USA doesn't allow far left (McCarthy etc), 'libertarians' get to talk all underdoggy mavericky ghost in the system conspiracy evil globalists are onto us deconstructive style all the time, but in truth the only difference between a conservative and a 'libertarian' is that when the former fucks you in the ass he quotes god, the latter just admits it's because he has more money. Parody, laughter or irony isn't going to go in strong with a brand of Wittgenstein-wannabes who think they've rediscovered the meaning of the word ''freedom''. Word on the street is their favorite stand up comedian is Drew Carey, Benny Hill a close second!
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 08:03:40 PM

Well 'libertarianism' is anger from the political far right and because USA doesn't allow far left (McCarthy etc), 'libertarians' get to talk all underdoggy mavericky ghost in the system conspiracy evil globalists are onto us deconstructive style all the time, but in truth the only difference between a conservative and a 'libertarian' is that when the former fucks you in the ass he quotes god, the latter just admits it's because he has more money. Parody, laughter or irony isn't going to go in strong with a brand of Wittgenstein-wannabes who think they've rediscovered the meaning of the word ''freedom''. Word on the street is their favorite stand up comedian is Drew Carey, Benny Hill a close second!

dickhead

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: