manohar_reddy_yaram (OP)
Newbie

Activity: 1
Merit: 0
|
 |
December 23, 2024, 12:19:11 PM |
|
I recently had a frustrating experience that I’m sure many of you here can relate to.
A friend owed me money for a project, and they were happy to pay me in fiat while I wanted to receive it in crypto. Simple enough request, right? But what followed was a tangled mess of currency conversion fees, delays, and hoops to jump through.
Banks didn’t make it easy, payment platforms added their cut, and by the time I finally received the crypto, it felt like half the value had evaporated in fees and wasted time. And I couldn’t stop wondering: Why is this still so complicated?
We’ve come so far in the crypto space—layer 2s, lightning networks, cross-chain swaps. Yet, when it comes to bridging the gap between fiat and crypto, the process still feels stuck in the past. Shouldn’t there be a solution that makes this seamless for freelancers, small businesses, or anyone working globally?
This is something I’ve been obsessed with recently, and I’ve even been working on a project called Normie Tech that aims to solve this exact problem. Our idea is simple: customers pay in fiat; merchants receive crypto. No headaches, no middlemen draining your funds.And we are getting pretty good traction with it.
But here’s the thing—I don’t want to pitch you. I want to hear from you.
Have you struggled with this problem too? What’s your worst fiat-to-crypto story? What would the ideal solution look like to you?
If this resonates with you, let’s talk about it. The crypto community has always been about solving real problems, and this is one I think we need to fix sooner rather than later.
Let’s brainstorm. ✍️
|
|
|
|
|
Pmalek
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 9584
|
 |
December 23, 2024, 01:56:13 PM |
|
If you don't have any crypto to start with, then it's obvious that you will have to purchase it. If your on/off ramp is a centralized exchange, you will pay a premium on top in the form of trading and withdrawal fees. That's how they make money. The most simple way of sending someone bitcoin is, of course, P2P with no middlemen involved. Find someone who is selling at market rates (if possible), give them the cash, and have them send the coins to any address you want.
Exchanges operate a business after all. They want to make money from their business and you are the source of that profit.
|
|
|
|
|
noahchonlee
Newbie

Activity: 4
Merit: 0
|
 |
December 23, 2024, 02:14:18 PM |
|
Have you ever had someone who didn't have crypto who wanted to pay you and you wish they could pay you in crypto?
|
|
|
|
|
|
bias
|
 |
December 23, 2024, 05:15:35 PM |
|
This is something I’ve been obsessed with recently, and I’ve even been working on a project called Normie Tech that aims to solve this exact problem. Our idea is simple: customers pay in fiat; merchants receive crypto. No headaches, no middlemen draining your funds.And we are getting pretty good traction with it.
From what I understand, you want to make a platform/ site/ app where I, as a customer, can buy crypto with fiat (any kind and any amount?) without the commissions that all CEX exchanges impose. Then how will the middleman be cut out since it will be you? Unless you make a P2P network, but there again the prices will be high and it takes time to execute the trade or find a "trusted" trader. So which of the two will it be?
|
|
|
|
|
goldkingcoiner
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 3129
HoDL
|
 |
December 23, 2024, 06:41:13 PM |
|
If you don't have any crypto to start with, then it's obvious that you will have to purchase it. If your on/off ramp is a centralized exchange, you will pay a premium on top in the form of trading and withdrawal fees. That's how they make money. The most simple way of sending someone bitcoin is, of course, P2P with no middlemen involved. Find someone who is selling at market rates (if possible), give them the cash, and have them send the coins to any address you want.
Exchanges operate a business after all. They want to make money from their business and you are the source of that profit.
And if you don't buy it, you can always earn it in other ways. One mainstream way is by mining them. So even if the bridge between crypto and fiat is somehow cut off entirely, crypto will still keep on living.
|
|
|
|
dkbit98
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 8886
|
 |
December 23, 2024, 07:54:29 PM |
|
Have you ever had someone who didn't have crypto who wanted to pay you and you wish they could pay you in crypto?
You can't force people to pay you with something they don't own or use, but you can always use received fiat payment and buy bitcoin yourself, it's not that hard. There are probably more people who want to go in opposite direction, to use bitcoin for purchasing goods and for cashing out to fiat
|
▄▄██████▄░░░▄██████▄▄ ██▀▀░░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░░▀▀██ ▄▄██████▄░▄██████▄▄ ▄████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀████▄ ▄███░░░▄▄░░░█░░░▄▄░░░███▄ ▄▄▄███░░░░██░░░░░░░██░░░░███▄▄▄ ████████░░░░██░░░░░░░██░░░░████████ ██████████░░░▀▀░░░█░░░▀▀░░░██████████ ████▀▀██████▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄▄██████▀▀████ ▀███▄░░▀▀███████████████████▀▀░░▄███▀ ▀████▄▄░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░▄▄████▀ ▀███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▀ ▀▀█████████████████████▀▀ | | OrangeFren | | ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ | | | | ▄▄█████▄▄ ▄████▀▀▀████▄ ███▀░░░░░░░▀███ ███▀░░░▄█░░░░▀███ ███░░░░░█░░░░░███ ███▄░░░▄█▄░░░▄███ ███▄░░░░░░░▄███ ▀████▄▄▄████▀ █████████ ▐█████████▌ █████░█████ ▐████▌░▐████▌ ▀▀░▀█░░░█▀░▀▀ | | |
|
|
|
|
Ever-young
|
 |
December 23, 2024, 11:37:35 PM |
|
Banks didn’t make it easy, payment platforms added their cut, and by the time I finally received the crypto, it felt like half the value had evaporated in fees and wasted time. And I couldn’t stop wondering: Why is this still so complicated?
It's complicated to those who don't know how to go about it, and also based on the country the person resides in, under 5-20 minutes, I'm sure I can be able to convert fiat currency into any crypto of my choice; it won't take me time; that's because I know my way about it, and everything is in check. If you yourself know how it can be done so easily, you could have offered a helping hand to that friend, or better still, if you know how to do it, taking fiat as payment from him or her and converting yourself could have saved you that hassle.
|
| HustleBTCTC | | | | | . BTC BTC | . BTC | | | | . BTC | . BTC BTC | | | | | | | | | .
| | ██████ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██████ |
| ██████ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██████
|
|
|
|
|
|
Darker45
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 2139
Spinly.io - Next-gen Crypto iGaming Platform
|
 |
December 24, 2024, 12:52:54 AM |
|
There are cuts either because there are middlemen in the transactions or the seller charges a premium. It has become rare nowadays for sellers to dispose their Bitcoin for fiat 1:1.
As for the other hoops to jump through, any registered platform offering fiat services is bound to comply with regulations. This equates to inconvenience to users. There will be hassles. You need to submit government IDs, for example, to prove your identity or bills to prove your address. And then there will be processing time, so transactions won't be instant.
As to your solution, wouldn't you charge anything? Wouldn't you ask for KYC?
|
░▄████████████▀▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄██ ████████████░█▀ ████░▄▄▄███████▄ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████░███ ████████████░███ ████████████░█▀ | ░▄████████████▀▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄██ ████████████░███ ████████████░███ ████████████░███ ████▄▄▄▄████░██▀ ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░▀ ████░█▀ | ░▄████████████▀▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄██ ████████████░█▀ █████████░▄▄▄ █████████░███ ░▄░██████░██▀██▄ ▀▀░██████░▀██▄██ ████████████░█▀ | ░▄███████▀░▄██▀▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▄██ ████████████░███ ████████████░███ ██░▄░███████░███ ██░█░███████░███ ████████████░███ ████████████░█▀ | ░▄██████▀▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄██ ██████░███ ██████░███ ██████░███ ██████░███████▀▄ ██████░▀▀▀▀▀▀▄██ ████████████░█▀ | ░▄████▀██▄█████▀▄ ▀▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀▀▀▄██ █████████████░███ █████░█░█████░███ █████░▀░█████░███ █████████████░█▀ ██████████░▄▄▄ ██████████░█▀ | ..... Next−Gen Crypto iGaming ..... | | | | | | | Play now |
|
|
|
Pmalek
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 9584
|
 |
December 24, 2024, 08:20:02 AM |
|
And if you don't buy it, you can always earn it in other ways. One mainstream way is by mining them. Sure, but that's not really a solution for the average person. If the only way to own bitcoin was to mine it, we wouldn't be anywhere close to the adoption levels we are now. I don't want to mine it and spend money on buying the hardware, setting it up, and running it. There are services that allow you to mine altcoins with your existing GPU and computer and get paid in bitcoin, but we are again talking about a middleman that takes a significant cut.
|
|
|
|
|
|
Kelward
|
 |
December 24, 2024, 08:27:30 AM |
|
This is something I’ve been obsessed with recently, and I’ve even been working on a project called Normie Tech that aims to solve this exact problem. Our idea is simple: customers pay in fiat; merchants receive crypto. No headaches, no middlemen draining your funds.And we are getting pretty good traction with it
Except you're doing a p2p transaction with a second party there's no how you cannot go through a third party for a crypto transaction. Even with your Normie tech, you're still a middleman, which means that you've not eliminated the need for it. You have to understand that cryptocurrency is alternative to fiat, except for El Salvador, that has made Bitcoin a legal tender, the accepted means of payments in every country remains their fiat currencies, so nobody is compelled to transact cryptocurrency. What will eliminate middlemen in crypto transactions is massive adoption, if majority holds Bitcoin, they can do p2p transactions without any hassles.
|
|
|
|
|
fikrett
Copper Member
Member


Activity: 644
Merit: 17
|
 |
December 24, 2024, 08:39:20 AM |
|
Have you ever had someone who didn't have crypto who wanted to pay you and you wish they could pay you in crypto?
You can't force people to pay you with something they don't own or use, but you can always use received fiat payment and buy bitcoin yourself, it's not that hard. There are probably more people who want to go in opposite direction, to use bitcoin for purchasing goods and for cashing out to fiat Yep. Didn't understand where all the fees would arise from as well. P2P and voila - it should of been fine for both of the people in the OP's story.
|
|
|
|
noahchonlee
Newbie

Activity: 4
Merit: 0
|
 |
December 24, 2024, 02:00:24 PM |
|
This is something I’ve been obsessed with recently, and I’ve even been working on a project called Normie Tech that aims to solve this exact problem. Our idea is simple: customers pay in fiat; merchants receive crypto. No headaches, no middlemen draining your funds.And we are getting pretty good traction with it.
From what I understand, you want to make a platform/ site/ app where I, as a customer, can buy crypto with fiat (any kind and any amount?) without the commissions that all CEX exchanges impose. Then how will the middleman be cut out since it will be you? Unless you make a P2P network, but there again the prices will be high and it takes time to execute the trade or find a "trusted" trader. So which of the two will it be? Hi @bias, the intention isn't to have people buy crypto. If the person sending money received crypto, they would need to KYC. Instead, the payer sends money to the middleman, the middleman buys crypto using that fiat, and then sends crypto on to the person the payer is trying to pay. It's forwarding on a payment in a different form. That way to the payer, all they did was easily checkout with credit card, and to the receiver, they easily receive crypto from their customers.
|
|
|
|
|
serjent05
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1325
|
 |
December 24, 2024, 03:51:58 PM |
|
Have you struggled with this problem too? No, since there are already services that caters this kind of transaction with minimum fee. I heard there is a decentralized platform for conversion of Fiat to Crypto and vice versa known as Bisq. There is also a centralized platform that simplify such transaction like the Binance P2P. I use Binance P2P and there is no charge for the transaction for crypto to cash (direct deposit from the buyer to your bank) and a minimal service fee for cash to crypto since the cryptocurrency is released on the platform What’s your worst fiat-to-crypto story? Not much except for an experience on a scammer attempting to scam me by sending a fake transfer message. What would the ideal solution look like to you? the solution is already there, there is already a platform that processes such stuff. We just need more decentralized platform like Bisq to promote decentralized transactions.
|
|
|
|
|
avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3570
Merit: 1562
|
 |
December 24, 2024, 04:00:26 PM |
|
We’ve come so far in the crypto space—layer 2s, lightning networks, cross-chain swaps. Yet, when it comes to bridging the gap between fiat and crypto, the process still feels stuck in the past. Shouldn’t there be a solution that makes this seamless for freelancers, small businesses, or anyone working globally?
I presume that you didn't go through any freelancing platform and it was a personal agreement between you and your client who presumably had no idea on how crypto works! That's the reason why you had faced such issues. There are some well known freelancing platforms who had made the crypto payment simpler. Your client pays in whatever ways they like and you get the payment in crypto. Banks will never make it easier for anyone to use crypto with ease. Your experience is probably due to wrong choices made during the transaction.
|
|
|
|
|
noahchonlee
Newbie

Activity: 4
Merit: 0
|
 |
December 24, 2024, 04:32:17 PM |
|
Banks didn’t make it easy, payment platforms added their cut, and by the time I finally received the crypto, it felt like half the value had evaporated in fees and wasted time. And I couldn’t stop wondering: Why is this still so complicated?
It's complicated to those who don't know how to go about it, and also based on the country the person resides in, under 5-20 minutes, I'm sure I can be able to convert fiat currency into any crypto of my choice; it won't take me time; that's because I know my way about it, and everything is in check. If you yourself know how it can be done so easily, you could have offered a helping hand to that friend, or better still, if you know how to do it, taking fiat as payment from him or her and converting yourself could have saved you that hassle. Great point. I know some people who would prefer to avoid having funds pass through their bank account at all before converting to crypto because they don't trust the local institutions or don't want to hold their funds in a high inflation currency
|
|
|
|
|
|
BIT-BENDER
|
 |
December 24, 2024, 05:50:35 PM |
|
Well I haven't experienced what you Talking about and yes I do receive Crypto-currency as payment and I would advice you request for USDT preferably to Bitcoin but even if it's Bitcoin the transaction fees should not make you wretched. But the problem I see here is that you may have forced who ever owes you money into Crypto-currency and maybe this is their first time and then every charge they encountered they had to bill you for it.
|
|
|
|
|
Ever-young
|
 |
December 24, 2024, 07:42:18 PM |
|
Great point. I know some people who would prefer to avoid having funds pass through their bank account at all before converting to crypto because they don't trust the local institutions or don't want to hold their funds in a high inflation currency
Even if the funds are to pass through the account, the authorities won’t get hold of it unless it is in a country where crypto is restricted, and even if it is, you can still be very careful to avoid being caught by the authorities. That’s why we have some P2P options that can’t be traced. And on the side of inflation, it can only affect those who don’t convert their fund into the crypto of their choice and leave fiat in their account, which its purchasing value will be reducing as time goes on, adding to the fees, which they will be charged VAT tax and other charges that banks will just come up with that will end up reducing the amount.
|
| HustleBTCTC | | | | | . BTC BTC | . BTC | | | | . BTC | . BTC BTC | | | | | | | | | .
| | ██████ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██████ |
| ██████ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██████
|
|
|
|
|
uchegod-21
|
 |
December 24, 2024, 09:28:00 PM |
|
I recently had a frustrating experience that I’m sure many of you here can relate to.
A friend owed me money for a project, and they were happy to pay me in fiat while I wanted to receive it in crypto. Simple enough request, right? But what followed was a tangled mess of currency conversion fees, delays, and hoops to jump through.
Banks didn’t make it easy, payment platforms added their cut, and by the time I finally received the crypto, it felt like half the value had evaporated in fees and wasted time. And I couldn’t stop wondering: Why is this still so complicated?
We’ve come so far in the crypto space—layer 2s, lightning networks, cross-chain swaps. Yet, when it comes to bridging the gap between fiat and crypto, the process still feels stuck in the past. Shouldn’t there be a solution that makes this seamless for freelancers, small businesses, or anyone working globally?
You just created problems for yourself. First, I don't think your friend had bitcoins before the whole transaction thing started because if he had, p2p transaction between you two won't cost you that much. Even if your friend has bitcoin, he is under no obligation to pay back his debt in bitcoin since when he borrowed the money, he did that in fiat, so paying back should also be in fiat. If you badly need to get bitcoins, you should buy by yourself from the fiat he would pay you. As for getting paid in bitcoin by freelancing companies, I have never encountered any of these challenges. My payments come when due without me facing anything like transactions fees and bank stress. Freelancing companies that pay in crypto know how to do it very easy and stres free for both parties. Take this forum for instance, campaigns that pay in bitcoin don't put you under any of those stress.
|
|
|
|
Fiatless
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1055
Fiatless world is possible.
|
 |
December 24, 2024, 09:48:46 PM |
|
The cause of the challenge you faced was because you forced them to pay you in a currency they don't have or own. So for them to convert fiat to crypto and send it to you it has to go through some centralized platforms that charge transaction fees. It would have been simple and cheaper if they already had crypto and sent it directly to your wallet. Transferring crypto is as simple as doing a bank transfer. But here’s the thing—I don’t want to pitch you. I want to hear from you.
Have you struggled with this problem too? What’s your worst fiat-to-crypto story? What would the ideal solution look like to you?
If this resonates with you, let’s talk about it. The crypto community has always been about solving real problems, and this is one I think we need to fix sooner rather than later.
Let’s brainstorm. ✍️
Maybe others might have some ugly experience but I have never had one. All my transactions using the crypto network have been fast and stress-free. The only issue I have encountered was high transaction fees when the mempool was under attack. I just had to wait for a few days for it to decongest.
|
|
|
|
|