Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:34:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is it so hard to get family/friends into bitcoin?  (Read 4324 times)
DubFX

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 06:17:52 AM

I think it's cuz goverment or any other authority doesn't control it and/or cuz of everyone on the internet and/or in news is claiming that they got hacked but it's their failure.
And also because of the unstable market price..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Satterfield

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 06:20:14 AM

I think we should give them a clear about bitcoin how to use and how to get benefit from bitcoin.
blacksails

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 02:50:41 PM

Because anything that sounds to good to be true has to be a scam. "Digital money and no transaction fees? SCAM!"
I have convinced a few friends and family members that it's not a scam, but that took more than one year before they actually stopped looking at it as a scam.
Ignorance is also a problem, since most people don't know what bitcoin is and therefore thinks of it as that "internet drug currency" that the media writes about and therefore also has a negative view on it.
crunchynut

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 04:13:45 PM

What would it take to get people seriously behind bitcoin?

did you tell them about all the great things you can do with bitcoins and how they improve your everyday life?

oh wait...

◯ ◯ ◯ ◯

>>>>>> LAUNCHED: RAPECOIN - YOU CAN'T SAY NO TO THIS COIN <<<<<<

◯ ◯ ◯ ◯
~Coinseeker~

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 04:17:22 PM

What would it take to get people seriously behind bitcoin?

did you tell them about all the great things you can do with bitcoins and how they improve your everyday life?

oh wait...

Grin
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 04:45:26 PM

my family doesn't get the technology!
Beef Supreme

Activity: 140

Put your trust in MATH.

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 04:53:29 PM

@OP

Because of this:

The intellectual difference between the average person and someone like Einstein, is actually greater than the intellectual difference between the average person and a chimpanzee.

That's why we can have the Large Hadron Collider and the Westboro Baptist Church on the same planet.

Yay I am in the top 2 %!  At the very low end, but I'll take it.
Beef Supreme

Put your trust in MATH.

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 05:38:57 PM

The real world is currently rigged for the house to win.
And Bitcoin solves that how?  By getting people to add an extra 1% or more to the total cost of things they buy, when they have to purchase Bitcoin to make those purchases?  How is that helpful?

Are you trolling me, or do you not understand the societal benefits of a decentralized currency?

Bitcoin is not just a currency, it provides other innovations, like the block chain.

Much untapped potential.  Many aspects.

Suggest enlightenment on the subject, I do.

Beef Supreme

Put your trust in MATH.

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 05:53:55 PM

To the OP, I apologize for biting on off topic posts.

I first heard of Bitcoin while surfing the web on my lunch break early last year.  After the first nibbles of info about it, I was hooked.  I talked to everyone that would listen, family/friends/coworkers.  Not one, took my advice.  Like 50 people.  Some of them really smart, and the smartest of the bunch told me to stay clear.  Well, it was 70 bucks then, now look at it.  They don't want to talk about it with me now, the ones who told me it was a bad investment.  They would rather talk about ANYTHING else.

Some are still in denial, with bubble and scam flowing freely from their lips…whatevs.

But when bad news about Bitcoin surfaces, they run me down with I told you so's.

I don't even care if they buy it or not anymore, ignorance is bliss for some folks.  I am tired of trying to convince them.
nidiagh

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 06:16:58 PM

too many scammers?
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 06:27:38 PM

I consider BTC to be more of a curse then a blessing for most people.  It is not a trivial thing to deal with safely.  It takes focus and technical ability which a small fraction of people really posses.

I give BTC to friends and family to express and interest, but in quantities such that they are induced to take seriously.  Otherwise I earmark a percentage of my hoard for my close family and occasionally buy them things that they can use and find interesting.

I have only really advocated Bitcoin for a handful of people and they happened to have graduate degrees in computer science (and economics in one case) a good income stream such that they can absorb a financial loss.  Also without exception the people I have suggested Bitcoin to have a high level of interest in macro-economics.

Back in 2011 I was briefly involved in an effort which included Voorhees and Guo to put BTC into the hands of the masses.  After some contemplation I concluded that this may well end up doing the actual recipients more harm that good and ceases activity.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
precrime3

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

PM for journalist,typing,and data entry services.

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 06:28:45 PM

I think its hard to get people to understand the concept of "digital" currency. The smarter ones concerned about "what's backing it", etch...

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 06:45:58 PM

I think its hard to get people to understand the concept of "digital" currency. The smarter ones concerned about "what's backing it", etch...

That is part of the reason I've happened to only quasi-advocate Bitcoin to people with graduate degrees in scientific fields.  These people can appreciate the significance of what being backed by mathematics actually means.

These people also tend to have exposure to the open-source software environment so they can appreciate the risks of the backing foundation being sucked out from underneath them...and recognize that threat if it starts to happen.

(Actually, anyone with any science degree has the potential to understand these concepts, and a fair number of people who don't hold such a degree do as well.  I happened to work most closely with people who did hold graduate degrees so it is they who I spoke at length about it with.  The 'potential' to understand the concepts is a long way from actually understanding them.  Most people with advanced degrees will not grasp and appreciate most of this stuff even though they probably could.)

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
precrime3

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 06:49:43 PM

You don't even have to go into mathematics, they just need to shut up and listen for like 5 minutes. Like good lord, some people piss me off....

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 06:57:43 PM

You don't even have to go into mathematics, they just need to shut up and listen for like 5 minutes. Like good lord, some people piss me off....

Anyone who would be convince to take a position in Bitcoin after listening to some evangelist for '5 minutes' definitely should NOT be fucking around with BTC.  These types have caused most of the damage to the ecosystem thus far be being dopes and losing their stash to criminal (among other things.)

And anyone with get's pissed off by not convincing a 'new user' that Bitcoin is the greatest thing since sliced bread with 5 minutes of witnessing (and undergoing the abuse of needing to field a question or two since you seem to wish they would 'shut up') is probably not the best Bitcoin advocate in the first place.

IMHO.

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 07:17:18 PM

Correct, people should read/study/learn before buying any BTC.

precrime3

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 07:18:14 PM

Anyone who would be convince to take a position in Bitcoin after listening to some evangelist for '5 minutes' definitely should NOT be fucking around with BTC.  These types have caused most of the damage to the ecosystem thus far be being dopes and losing their stash to criminal (among other things.)

And anyone with get's pissed off by not convincing a 'new user' that Bitcoin is the greatest thing since sliced bread with 5 minutes of witnessing (and undergoing the abuse of needing to field a question or two since you seem to wish they would 'shut up') is probably not the best Bitcoin advocate in the first place.

IMHO.

Its not like that, they just ask stupid crap, and its the same stuff over and over.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 07:32:40 PM

too many scammers?
I'm sure that this is one of the issues that people are facing his, what's making them stay away from bitcoin. Why would you invest into something which is very risky, where you could easily lose money?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 07:48:10 PM

too many scammers?
I'm sure that this is one of the issues that people are facing his, what's making them stay away from bitcoin. Why would you invest into something which is very risky, where you could easily lose money?

That's an easy question to answer.  Because the potential exists to make a ton of money!  It is also a good way to make a concrete socio-political statement for those who are into that (though what, exactly, the statement is is nebulous and open to interpretation and debate.)

The risks of fraud and theft are significant, but relatively easy for a fraction of people to overcome.  Bitcoin is a completely appropriate speculative vehicle for a certain fraction of people.  Not a high fraction, but there are a lot of people in this world so there are a decent number of people for whom Bitcoin is a good fit.  As an established user I take it as a fairly serious responsibility to identify these people and tune any advocacy (if one can call it that) accordingly.

amspir

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 07:51:12 PM

Don't act like you haven't done this, cuz you know you lyin' brah?!  Try to get your friends/family into bitcoin.

What would be more productive is to talk to local business that you do business with on a regular basis, and talk to them about bitcoin, and refer them to companies like bitpay.

You family's eyes are going to glaze over if you keep talking bitcoin, and there's no reason for them to use it, other than a speculative, currently very volatile, investment.   If they could actually buy something with it, then you will have made progress.

I'm not talking big box stores, but local businesses with local owners that would be receptive to the possibility of using bitcoin.  When my corner convenience store accepts bitcoin, I will be extremely happy.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: