Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:08:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: eBay DELETED my auction for Avalon Miners because I accept Bitcoin!  (Read 3536 times)
Industro (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 05:21:27 AM
Last edit: April 01, 2014, 06:02:58 AM by Industro

eBay DELETED my auction for Avalon Miners because I accept Bitcoin!

I only mentioned in the auction description that I accept bitcoins and they pulled my auction citing a "violation of payment policies."  They claimed that buyers and sellers "aren't protected" because transactions can't be proven.

I beg to differ! The blockchain is public proof hat a transaction occurred, and the buyer (or seller) can easily prove they own the address. In the event of a dispute, if eBay would just require sellers to post their receive address, a buyer can prove they own the address that sent funds to it.

I think this policy is simply an anticompetitive strong-arm approach to further secure PayPal's dominance in the payment processing industry.

If anyone is curious, the auction in question is here (I had to re-list it):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-2-AVALON-ASIC-Bitcoin-Miners-160-GH-s-Mining-Machines-NO-RESERVE-/111315935934

I mentioned in the revised auction description to contact me with questions about "alternate payment methods." Do you think they'll pull my auction for that too?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
7Priest7

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 05:27:33 AM

The bigger issue is the lack of buyer protection.

I would never buy on EBay with BTC.
The risk is too high compared to paypal.
troy112

Activity: 448

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 05:29:16 AM

EBay, and Apple thinks bitcoin as there rival and uses what ever they can to suppress it. And yours is just a case of the same,.
Mentioning alternative payment methods won't get your listing removed. But you'll have to talk outside the eBay personal messages. They might be watching it.
troy112

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 05:32:24 AM

And as mentioned by priest ... You might also have to use escrow as well to support the purchase, because only then the buyee will be able to have trust. As we all know bitcoin payments are not reversible
skooter

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 05:37:27 AM

It's true, buyers aren't protected with bitcoin purchases.

They have zero recourse if you scam them, and as far as proving you own an address, that's very difficult if you use an address once.
Industro (OP)

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 05:39:03 AM

EBay, and Apple thinks bitcoin as there rival and uses what ever they can to suppress it. And yours is just a case of the same,.
Mentioning alternative payment methods won't get your listing removed. But you'll have to talk outside the eBay personal messages. They might be watching it.

So do they have people screening every auction? Or is there some automated process that just sniffs out keywords that violate their payment terms?

How do they filter out stuff like this?
giletto

Activity: 812

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 05:41:32 AM

Just follow the terms of ebay, isn't that hard to understand? If they don't accept, they don't. Easy as that.

█████
                       █████████████
                    █████████████
                ██████████████        █████
             █████████████        ████████████
         ██████████████        █████████████
      █████████████        █████████████       ██████
      ██████████        ████████████           ██████
      ███████       █████████████       ███    ██████
      ███████    █████████████       ██████    ██████
      ████████████████████       ██████████    ██████
      █████████████████       █████████████    ██████
      █████████████       █████████████        ██████
      ██████████       █████████████           ██████
      ███████      ██████████████       ███    ██████
      ██████    █████████████       ███████    ██████
      ██████    ██████████       ██████████    ██████
      ██████    ██████        █████████████    ██████
      ██████    ███       █████████████        ██████
      ██████           █████████████       ██████████
      ██████       █████████████        █████████████
                █████████████       █████████████
             ████████████        █████████████
                 ████         ████████████
                          █████████████
                        ███████████
                           █████
Ferrum Network • Interoperability Network for Financial Applications
troy112

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 05:47:02 AM

So do they have people screening every auction? Or is there some automated process that just sniffs out keywords that violate their payment terms?

How do they filter out stuff like this?
no they dont have the man power to screen every auction. Its automated word filter that flashes the red light then they go on to work to screen that auction.
or someone might have reported your aution. That can also happen.
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 05:47:54 AM

Ebay owns paypal and you want to sell your miner on ebay for btc..
They will delete it obviously as bitcoin is not in thier payment systems list and sellers can not accept money from other payment modes. Main issue is scams and bitcoin doesnt comes under their fraud/scam protection (escrow), so its possible that they will remove your ad again if buyer complained about it, probably you will get banned too.  If you want to sell something for btc use some other classifieds site..
troy112

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 05:51:33 AM

You can also use bitcoin associated sites for auction. It will gove you more targeted audience and will help you sell faster without worries.
Industro (OP)

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 05:58:12 AM

You can also use bitcoin associated sites for auction. It will gove you more targeted audience and will help you sell faster without worries.

Can you recommend some?
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 06:12:59 AM

You had went agaisnt  TOS they dont support bitcoin as a payment method

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 06:15:43 AM

Can you recommend some?

This site is great:
https://cryptothrift.com/

sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 06:15:47 AM

Just follow the terms of ebay, isn't that hard to understand? If they don't accept, they don't. Easy as that.

Easy as that. Obviously they have restrictions on how you can get payment. You must use their approved payment methods. I understand we all want them to include BTC as payment method. But until they do it (or not do it; BTC is their rival, right? They own PayPal.), we have no option.
ryanmnercer

Activity: 70

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 02:57:07 PM

ToS violation, cry me a river.

Buy peptides with BTC
newguy05

Activity: 1316
Merit: 503

Someone is sitting in the shade today...

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 03:13:40 PM

eBay DELETED my auction for Avalon Miners because I accept Bitcoin!

I only mentioned in the auction description that I accept bitcoins and they pulled my auction citing a "violation of payment policies."  They claimed that buyers and sellers "aren't protected" because transactions can't be proven.

I beg to differ! The blockchain is public proof hat a transaction occurred, and the buyer (or seller) can easily prove they own the address. In the event of a dispute, if eBay would just require sellers to post their receive address, a buyer can prove they own the address that sent funds to it.

I think this policy is simply an anticompetitive strong-arm approach to further secure PayPal's dominance in the payment processing industry.

If anyone is curious, the auction in question is here (I had to re-list it):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-2-AVALON-ASIC-Bitcoin-Miners-160-GH-s-Mining-Machines-NO-RESERVE-/111315935934

I mentioned in the revised auction description to contact me with questions about "alternate payment methods." Do you think they'll pull my auction for that too?

consider yourself lucky they didnt ban your account outright.

▄██████
       ▄████████
     ▄██████████
   ▄█▀     █████
 ▄███      █████
█████      ███████████████████████████
█████                           ████▀
█████                           ██▀
█████                          ▄▀   
██████████████████████████████▀
████████████████████████████▀
L I N K
by BLOCKMASON

..CREATE WEB APIS........
..FROM ANY SMART........
..CONTRACT.........................

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

READ THE
WHITEPAPER

>>>

▄          █▄                         ▄
██▄        ███▄                     ▄██
████▄      █████▄                 ▄████
██████▄    ███████▄             ▄██████
████████▄   ▀███████▄         ▄███████▀
██████████▄   ▀███████▄     ▄███████▀
████████████▄   ▀███████▄ ▄███████▀  
██████████████▄   ▀█████████████▀   ▄██
████████████████▄   ▀█████████▀   ▄████
██████████████████▄   ▀█████▀   ▄██████
████████████████████▄   ▀█▀   ▄████████
BLOCKMASON
BUILDING THE FUTURE

FACEBOOK
REDDIT
TWITTER

LINKEDIN
GITHUB
MEDIUM
Industro (OP)

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 09:36:57 PM

Guys, I'm not disputing that eBay doesn't allow Bitcoins, or that I was caught trying to accept them for payment. Guilty as charged. You got me.

My argument is simply the anticompetitive nature of the PayPal regime and how implementing a simple integrated bitcoin escrow service (with an escrow fee) would not only be beneficial to the bitcoin ecosystem, but it would be lucrative for the eBay empire as well. An integrated bitcoin escrow service woven into the eBay auction payment process could be accomplished with little effort, and the payments would be just as secure as any online escrow service, if not more so. It would remove the need for trust. Seller could provide tracking number to prove package was sent, buyer can prove they paid the escrow.

eBay's/PayPal's policies seem NARROW MINDED and anti-competitive, and everyone defending eBay's ToS fails to see the bigger picture that can come for eBay if they embraced this technology, not fought against it.

It is thinking like this that holds down widespread adoption.

Look, if you guys are all fine with big corporate conglomerates limiting consumer freedom of choice, de-neutralitizing your Internet, forcing you into antiquated pigeoned-holed financial fee-laiden commerce, then I'm sure you'd all be happy with living in a place like Communist China.

For the rest of us, there is BITCOIN.
Keyser Soze

Activity: 470

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 09:52:59 PM

Guys, I'm not disputing that eBay doesn't allow Bitcoins, or that I was caught trying to accept them for payment. Guilty as charged. You got me.

My argument is simply the anticompetitive nature of the PayPal regime and how implementing a simple integrated bitcoin escrow service (with an escrow fee) would not only be beneficial to the bitcoin ecosystem, but it would be lucrative for the eBay empire as well. An integrated bitcoin escrow service woven into the eBay auction payment process could be accomplished with little effort, and the payments would be just as secure as any online escrow service, if not more so. It would remove the need for trust. Seller could provide tracking number to prove package was sent, buyer can prove they paid the escrow.

eBay's/PayPal's policies seem NARROW MINDED and anti-competitive, and everyone defending eBay's ToS fails to see the bigger picture that can come for eBay if they embraced this technology, not fought against it.

It is thinking like this that holds down widespread adoption.

Look, if you guys are all fine with big corporate conglomerates limiting consumer freedom of choice, de-neutralitizing your Internet, forcing you into antiquated pigeoned-holed financial fee-laiden commerce, then I'm sure you'd all be happy with living in a place like Communist China.

For the rest of us, there is BITCOIN.
The costs associated with accepting bitcoin in escrow would, at this time, most likely be greater then the benefit. I have doubts that it could set it up with "little effort" for a large company like eBay.
redhawk979

Activity: 271

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 10:21:07 PM

OH NO A COMPANY DID SOMETHING I DIDN'T LIKE THAT THEY ARE TOTALLY WITHIN THEIR RIGHTS TO DO! DAMN YOU REGULATIONS!
amspir

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 10:31:53 PM

It's a free market.  Check into using cryptothrift.com, and let ebay and paypal die.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: