Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:40:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MPOE-PR Perma-Banned after warning, Temp Ban more appropriate?  (Read 8464 times)
Twilight_Sparkle

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 01:18:00 AM

The only tragedy is that TAT was not banned after asking the mod to ban him. Teach children that throwing temper tantrums do not work.

As for the mods supposed "scam-loving", Do your own homework, if you get scammed it is your own fault, do not blame the mods for that. 

Finally, It is only one website, being banned or whatever is not a big deal. There is almost always drama about this sort of thing, never understood why.

1H8gQ7KEN65pbdtusg28NQ33YWFBPgWAf1

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 01:47:34 AM

As for the mods supposed "scam-loving", Do your own homework, if you get scammed it is your own fault, do not blame the mods for that. 
Hey, do you own homework yourself, and learn how to write properly.
This is about mods removing and banning criticism of scams.

There is a fine line between critisism and trolling.

MPOE-PR had stepped miles across that line.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 01:50:57 AM

Hey, do you own homework yourself, and learn how to write properly.
This is about mods removing and banning criticism of scams.

Seeing as its the forum's official policy not to touch scam accusations, I find that hard to believe. When people come to me asking to have a scam accusation against them taken down, even if I can tell its complete BS, I just tell them to provide a response that makes the accuser lose all credibility. We don't touch scam accusations, ever. Besides moving them to the scam accusation section that is.

If you see someone violate that, report it. They will be gone immediately if not sooner.

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 02:09:35 AM

Old members shouldn't get preferential treatment if they break the rules. No one would be complaining if a new member got banned for swearing at a moderator. Sometimes people need to be made an example of in order to keep others in check.

You don't get banned for swearing at a moderator. MPOE-PR was asked to stop spamming/trolling by Maged, and rather than stopping, she swore at him. The act of insulting Maged itself didn't get her banned, it was the warning, and then lack of acknowledgement of the warning that got the ban.
Oh, the warning was acknowledged, all right. She specifically quoted my warning in her "fuck you" reply. That reply was off-topic and was extremely likely to result in additional off-topic posts from other users. Had she posted that message in the correct location, she would have been fine. This is also why TAT wasn't banned: you can insult us and complain all you want in Meta, since doing so is often on-topic.

Beyond the reasons you mentioned for the ban, there are some more:
1) I've deleted many of MPOE-PR's posts in the past, throughout many threads.
2) MPOE-PR has an orange ignore button.

Alone, none of these things would result in a ban. You can only get banned if you put them all together.

And yet Inaba can slander and defame people up and down the forums for years and nothing is done? Funny.
Slandering and defaming people in a thread about a company of which you are an employee is often on-topic because it reveals the true character of the company. If we removed those posts, there would be a much better argument for claiming that we support scammers.

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 02:23:58 AM

Labcoin got me a yellow one.
Again, none of those factors alone can result in a ban.

Yeah, nice work. Congratulations, you're a scammer.
You're very welcome. I live to please.

But seriously, I deleted about as many of the supporter's posts as I did of the detractor's.

SaltySpitoon
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 02:24:27 AM

See that, SaltySpitoon?

If you call everything a scam, and get some things right once in a while, that doesn't give you immunity to troll. If there is a thread accusing someone of being a scammer that is 15 pages long, and someone comes along and starts posting a "legit warning" but it is in the form of something that should be deleted. Its not silencing the accusation, its shutting one person up. The other 15 pages should be adequet.

Message to take away I guess is just because you call out scammers doesn't give you a free pass to break the rest of the rules. Thank you and congrats on calling them out, to both you and MPOE, your posts can still be deleted.
Cactusizer

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 02:43:31 AM

See that, SaltySpitoon?

What is your achievement on this thread? To complain (cry) about all the staff being scammers?
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3053

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 02:49:35 AM

MPOE is/was the only account on my ignore list.  Now I can remove her and be even more open minded!   Grin

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 03:26:15 AM

I find it funny that the only reason why she was even here is because she was paid to be here. And not only that, she did much harm to the people she represented.

Time and reader's discretion might apply to the second part, but...

The part where a concern was willing to offer a paid PR representative to present their positions on this forums for 25 months was a rather big deal, in a positive way. They highlighted the large scams: Pirate, GLBSE, LabCoin, Vircurex, and others. Most recently they highlighted NeoBee as almost inevitably a scam. The only person I've seen with a better efficacy at predicting scams might have been Kakobrekla, but he's been banned for a while now because he critiqued the Cognitive mining scam.

A well placed "Fuck You" is indeed the most professional speech possible in situations where:

happens.

When few people care to criticize scams and their posts start disappearing because "butthurt" or "trolling" before events can play out, the reasonable conclusion is that people with control over the content that survives on this forum are more concerned about their sphincter's lack of lubrication when they get called out and fucked than they are about letting a discussion stand long enough to get tested. Pirateat40 and Nefario still have their posts here.
Posted from Bitcointa.lk - #ma4ZCFEIdojjVUJN

zaseb

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 03:49:12 AM

Nothing surprising. The forum is rotten at its core, many mods and admins deeply involved in scams (and what a joke is DefaultTrust?); as far as I'm concerned, their actions make them scammers too.

You can pretty much assume that mod = scamlover.

In what way are the staff do you think the staff are involved?

Usually the best way to fix issues like this is to suggest solutions instead of just throwing around accusations. It seems like lots of people here enjoy pointing out what they think are problems with this forum but don't offer any viable solutions that would fix them.

If people think moderators are deleting scam accusations, then why don't we have more accountability for the actions of moderators?
Perhaps a log of mod actions be visible and posts/threads that are deleted be accessible via this log for a brief amount of time after they are deleted. Then you can easily see what exactly the mods are up to and instead of thinking they are deleting scam accusations you will be able to quite easily prove it.

A useful tip: the website bitcointa.lk regularly crawls bitcointalk.org and has an archive of deleted posts so you can use this to see the posts people delete, including moderators. If they are indeed aiding scammers by deleting scam accusations they are doing a bad job as the scam accusations subforum is very lightly moderated.

Another common accusation is that Theymos is aiding scammers by allowing them to purchase advertising. How do you think he should solve this problem?
Should he ask all advertisers for Photo ID?
Should he then submit all ID scans to Law Enforcement? if not what happens if he is compelled by law to hand them over?
Should he hire private investigators to background check each and every potential advertiser?
Should he personally decide which ads he wants to display, and then be accused by people of censorship or being biased for or against certain advertisers?

You also touched on the staff being anonymous, I don't think thats the case. It seems to me that the moderators are not required to prove their identity nor are they required to publicly post it. They may or may not be anonymous and it is certainly possible to find out who a number of them are. I'm unaware of any forums that require volunteer moderators to prove their real identity or have it publicly accessible. I can't see why people have issue with this because knowing who they are doesn't change anything, they could still be "deeply involved with scams". Many scammers in the Bitcoin community are known yet remain unpunished. Many mexican drug lords are not only known but internationally famous yet still remain free. Knowing someones identity does not make that person more trustworthy.

I would also like to point out, if the moderators are deeply involved in scams then why aren't they deleting the hundreds of posts such as yours that accuse them of it? I find it quite strange you accuse the staff of these things yet they allow you to post it. Try accusing the mods of any other 100,000+ member internet forum of aiding scammers, I can almost guarantee you that the post will be deleted and you will likely be banned.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:09:35 AM

I'll miss you Goaty Goat, don't forget to write me  Sad

Or steam chat works too  Smiley
surfer43

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

"Trading Platform of The Future!"

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:14:07 AM

IMAO don't unban! I can't believe this forum made this wonderful decision!
I have more or less said "Fuck You" to this forum as well but in a different way. I have so far removed well over 10,000 of my posts and as soon as I get the rest gone I will no longer be spending time here.
Sad
surfer43

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:50:21 AM

Oh and BTW, a while back I thought it would be a good idea to open a few extra accounts just in case someone I know needs to post or something. So yeah...  Roll Eyes
wtg now those will easily be banned too.  Roll Eyes

The db probably has your ip logged, or some other identifier...  Roll Eyes
surfer43

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 05:00:12 AM

Also would it be a violation of the rules if I made a publicly accessible mirror of all posts on your forum? would you be upset if I did it?
simonk83

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 06:49:39 AM

She is an ass, but an asset.

You're half right.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 07:44:23 AM
Last edit: April 02, 2014, 08:02:48 AM by TECSHARE

I've been banned twice for something similar. This was a while back though lol
I was threatened with a permanent ban for "bumping" too many times even when there were no rules posted on the subject, and EVERYONE was doing it to the point that if you didn't do it too, your threads didn't get seen. I had already confirmed with another mod the appropriate amount of bumps as the unwritten rule, and then gladly limited myself to this. Regardless of my compliance for several days I was banned retroactively without warning, then they posted rules.

I was then banned for "off topic" posts for asking why only people bashing "Atlas" could post in one of the countless Atlas bashing threads run by the moderators. My post was removed, I received no warning and was banned with no way to fulfill orders from previously paid customers waiting for goods, and me with no shipping info available. I posted again about my post removal in the thread and I was threatened with a permanent ban for "trolling" shortly after this. The point of this is that "I disagree" is some times confused with "off topic" or "trolling". Bias and frivolous bans only cause more instability in the community and drive away otherwise dedicated users.  I would really hate to see a return to those dark days of this forum. The last thing we need now is more infighting.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:49:02 AM

What about this?

04-01-2014, 02:46 PM #30
Employee

BFL_Josh's Avatar Blog Entries

Just not on those days... meaning you'd have 1 less entry into the contest when we run the random drawing. Each day is a separate ticket to enter in the raffle basically.

Someone gets people to abuse the trust rating system each day with 6 entries. Multiplied by the number of people participating each day times the number of people responding each day to the negative posts? This is spam. Why wouldn't the people posting these daily be BANNED? And the person who started it be banned form the forums? Interesting.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 11:48:15 AM

Correlation does not equal causation. If I post that Area 51 is real, and there is a government coverup, start trolling/spamming over it, then get banned, I'm pretty sure there would be at least a dozen people who would be convinced I was banned because I was trying to expose the truth.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 12:54:51 PM
Last edit: April 03, 2014, 12:16:09 AM by NotLambchop

Correlation does not equal causation. If I post that Area 51 is real, and there is a government coverup, start trolling/spamming over it, then get banned, I'm pretty sure there would be at least a dozen people who would be convinced I was banned because I was trying to expose the truth.

It's like this:
Shills and lunatics singing Danny's praises are not considered spam, no matter how asinine their comments get.
Those who try to warn the rubes in Neo thread are called trolls and spammers, their posts are deleted, and finally they are banned.  This astroturfing makes the scam appear credible to the suckers.  So yeah, you are responsible for people getting taken by Danny.  Through malice or plain incompetence, but you are not without guilt.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 01:05:22 PM

It's like this:
Shills and lunatics singing Danny's praises are not considered spam, no matter how asinine their comments get.
Those who try to warn the rubes in Neo thread are called trolls and spammers, their posts are deleted, and finally they are eventually banned.  This astroturfing makes the scam appear credible to the suckers.  So yeah, you are responsible for people getting taken by Danny.  Through malice or plain incompetence, but you are not without guilt.

I would prove you wrong, but I don't really care what you think. When I'm laying on my deathbed one of my regrets will not be "I wish I spent more time proving random dude #302867 on the internet wrong". Which is why I don't participate in these sorts of threads anymore, or if I do it's just a post or two to make a point. The trolls are doing harm by hiding real accusations beneath tons of garbage that people won't bother to sift through. But think what you want, I don't care.

Though there is this.
But seriously, I deleted about as many of the supporter's posts as I did of the detractor's.

Also for the record, it isn't a permaban.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: