Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:53:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you run a client with a built-in "tax"?  (Read 8972 times)
Ground Loop (OP)

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 23, 2010, 09:16:11 PM

If you could download a Bitcoin client that computed hashes at twice your current rate, but sent 5 of every 50 bitcoins awarded to the software developer, would you run it?

Bitcoin accepted here: 1HrAmQk9EuH3Ak6ugsw3qi3g23DG6YUNPq

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2010, 10:53:29 PM

If you could download a Bitcoin client that computed hashes at twice your current rate, but sent 5 of every 50 bitcoins awarded to the software developer, would you run it?

Taxes aren't voluntary. Might be willing to pay a fee though.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
NewLibertyStandard

Activity: 252
Merit: 268

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2010, 11:23:20 PM

No, I wouldn't. If I released a Bitcoin client that looked like it was hashing twice as many hashes, but actually wasn't, and also donated 5 bitcoins out of every block of received bitcoins, would you run it? If you have such code, just release it. It will strengthen the network and promote the adoption of a version of the client with other improvements besides your improvement. If you really did release code that doubles the hash speed, I'd be more than happy to donate at least 5 bitcoins to you. Actually, probably more than 5, but I'm not sure how many.

Treazant: A Fullever Rewarding Bitcoin - Backup Your Wallet TODAY to Double Your Money! - Dual Currency Donation Address: 1Dnvwj3hAGSwFPMnkJZvi3KnaqksRPa74p
knightmb

Activity: 308
Merit: 256

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2010, 11:39:07 PM

The speed comes at a price, if you visit the developer area, there are several members who have released highly optimized/customized compiled binary for BitCoin client using the source that will get you that speed increase, but the application can crash randomly so you might not generate anything overnight if you aren't watching it 24/7

Timekoin - The World's Most Energy Efficient Encrypted Digital Currency
Ground Loop (OP)

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 24, 2010, 01:17:31 AM

Interesting replies.

I don't have such a client -- just to clear that up.

What I'm getting at is this:  If BTC were highly valued, and a very clever-but-selfish developer had an exceedingly fast client (say, someone gets CUDU running on all cylinders, or hand-crafts SSSE3 for i7), would they be better off retaining the program for their exclusive use (during inflation), or offering it for 'sale' by effectively charging a fee for every find.

I suspected it would be more profitable to distribute it with a small fee, but the reception sounds a bit... less favorable.

Bitcoin accepted here: 1HrAmQk9EuH3Ak6ugsw3qi3g23DG6YUNPq
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 24, 2010, 02:14:26 AM

Interesting replies.

What I'm getting at is this:  If BTC were highly valued, and a very clever-but-selfish developer had an exceedingly fast client (say, someone gets CUDU running on all cylinders, or hand-crafts SSSE3 for i7), would they be better off retaining the program for their exclusive use (during inflation), or offering it for 'sale' by effectively charging a fee for every find.

I suspected it would be more profitable to distribute it with a small fee, but the reception sounds a bit... less favorable.

The difficulty would just goes up and make it harder for you to generate bitcoins.

SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
July 24, 2010, 02:24:07 AM

doubling the hashspeed would double the expected value for generated bitcoins in a certain time.
as long as:
expected value  - tax = higher than the expected value before doubling the hashspeed (without taxes),
I guess I'd use it.

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
knightmb

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2010, 03:50:21 AM

Interesting replies.

If he used it for personal use, then sure he could keep it to him/her self. But I think this being open source software, he couldn't legally do that.

There are a lot of gray areas about that would be beyond the scope of this topic I'm guessing.

Bitcoiner

Activity: 70
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 24, 2010, 03:49:47 PM

Interesting replies.

The difficulty would just goes up and make it harder for you to generate bitcoins.

But it would go up less if you were the one with the fast client and everyone else had "normal" clients. If you distributed such a fast client to everyone, then yes, the benefit would cancel out.

Want to thank me for this post? Donate here! Flip your coins over to: 13Cq8AmdrqewatRxEyU2xNuMvegbaLCvEe  Smiley
knightmb

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2010, 05:01:24 PM

Interesting replies.

But it would go up less if you were the one with the fast client and everyone else had "normal" clients. If you distributed such a fast client to everyone, then yes, the benefit would cancel out.
Some of us are already like that, I'm running optimized clients that were posted by some members that have a 50% speed increase for a while now on a lot of PCs.  Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: