Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:08:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My suggestions on how to make a decent client  (Read 2752 times)
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 03:11:06 PM

@Gabi - You had it right in the title when you said you had "suggestions". The client is at version 0.5.1. The zero means no complaining, no saying "this SUCKS!!!11!"; IMO.
Having said that, some of your suggestions good ones!

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gabi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 04:40:31 PM

@Gabi - You had it right in the title when you said you had "suggestions". The client is at version 0.5.1. The zero means no complaining, no saying "this SUCKS!!!11!"; IMO.
Having said that, some of your suggestions good ones!
If no one complains that 0 become and 1 with the client seeing no improvement cause "well no one complained, it's fine"

netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 06:10:15 PM

If seeing one complains with cause, "well fine" that client complained become improvement and no no no, the 0 it's 1

ftfy

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2011, 08:11:51 PM

Another suggestion:
Make full client act as light client until the blockchain is fully downloaded.

And this leads to another suggestion:
Universal server should be made to allow several light clients to connect. Maybe you should talk with devs of electrum about this.
Or even better - allow the full client to act as server for light clients if blockchain is up to date.

Possible GUI improvements:
Icons in 0.5.X client seems not to be in correct size (or has been resized from larger PNG images). It is detail, but it looks terrible.
Also the red/yellow color of connections indicator always looks like there is something wrong even when I have >30 connections opened.

I also think that online wallets are fine, but we should not advice new users to use them.
The danger of online wallets is similar to using credit card online. Trusted wallet provider can change the situation (like PayPal for bitcoins), but we do not want to make the same mistakes over and over again, do we?
Gabi (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 26, 2011, 07:17:43 PM

Integrating a thin client in the standard client is a nice idea indeed!

So you can choose if use your blockchain or use it as thin client and connect to a server. Very helpful for new ppl, so they tell you "ok i downloaded the standard client, what now to use my btc?" "Select "thin client" and you can use them right now, then if you want.. -explain blockchain-"

And remove the "oh well now you have to wait 12 hours to download the blockchain... or you can download it from that site but then you will have to run the client with the -rescan parameter... or use a thin client, here, download it here" (and he is like "then why the hell i found that client on the official site...")

netrin

View Profile
December 26, 2011, 07:31:43 PM

So you can choose if use your blockchain or use it as thin client and connect to a server (peer)

If each client has a decoupled blockchain and wallet, then peers can ask each other for address balances (anon shot) and even to submit transactions on their behalf, which might increase anonymity/deniability of transaction origin.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
Gabi (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 26, 2011, 07:57:10 PM

Even better, nice idea!

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
December 26, 2011, 08:50:22 PM

If I thought that downloading and installing software onto your computer is the way to go then I'd be helping make it better.

I don't. I think 90-something-percent of future Bitcoin users will be using it on an iPad or mobile phone or on their computer in a web browser.

I'm sorry you think 0.5 is worse than 0.4, but you're in the (vocal) minority. Nobody stepped up to support the 0.4 wxWidgets-based GUI, and we've got several people working on the 0.5 Qt-based GUI, so I'm confident switching was the right decision.

I don't think he's complaining about the qt framework. he's complaining about the new layout + useless features added to 0.5. like the overview tab, and csv export

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 26, 2011, 08:57:00 PM

Well, the csv export isn't that useless. I couldn't find any other way besides exporting to get to the tx ID...
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
December 27, 2011, 12:50:34 AM

Guys,

A lot of people forget that Bitcoin is a BETA software.
 It is just a embryo!! A baby software.
 Bitcoin 0.4.0 is great...
 Bitcoin 0.5.1 is AWESOME!
 Bitcoin 0.6.0 need a lots of tests BEFORE the final release!
 So, stop crying (sorry if I'm being rude) and start helping!!
 Draw your suggestions in a mock-up software/site...

Best!
Thiago
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 27, 2011, 03:55:40 AM

So you can choose if use your blockchain or use it as thin client and connect to a server (peer)

If each client has a decoupled blockchain and wallet, then peers can ask each other for address balances (anon shot) and even to submit transactions on their behalf, which might increase anonymity/deniability of transaction origin.
My LAN at home has three computers on it, two of which have GUIs installed and one of which serves as a headless router/firewall. If you count my smartphone then the network has four computers on it.

From my point of view I would like to see a complete separation of the blockchain tracking/network communication functions from wallet management/user interface. It doesn't really make sense to run more than one copy of the server on a single home LAN but there are three other computers (counting the phone) that might be using clients.

In an ideal world I'd run the server on the headless machine and it would advertise itself via zeroconf/avahi so that any client that was started in that network would automagically who to connect to in order to initiate a transaction.
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2011, 04:38:50 PM

In an ideal world I'd run the server on the headless machine and it would advertise itself via zeroconf/avahi so that any client that was started in that network would automagically who to connect to in order to initiate a transaction.

Hm— well, different models are possible here.   I'd like a separated GUI and backend because I can run a single trusted backend and not deal with the computationally expensive zero trust stuff on all the other clients I need.   I wouldn't want to use some node just because I heard about it via zeroconf/avahi.

If you're going to discover nodes via zeroconf then you need to be able to operate in a way where you don't trust them. Thats significantly more expensive than being able to trust them.
justusranvier
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2011, 04:42:30 PM

Hm— well, different models are possible here.   I'd like a separated GUI and backend because I can run a single trusted backend and not deal with the computationally expensive zero trust stuff on all the other clients I need.   I wouldn't want to use some node just because I heard about it via zeroconf/avahi.

If you're going to discover nodes via zeroconf then you need to be able to operate in a way where you don't trust them. Thats significantly more expensive than being able to trust them.
If the client is the one that controls the wallet then it doesn't need to trust the node to do any cryptography, does it? All it needs to do is to have the node forward the transaction to the rest of the network. A node can't tamper with transactions if it lacks access to the private keys, can it?
netrin

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 05:23:38 AM

You need to trust that the node is in fact sending the transactions and not trying to identify you by your address balance requests (though ANY node can and may attempt that).

I'd like to see a simple onion network between nodes without Tor.

justusranvier
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 05:28:03 AM

You need to trust that the node is in fact sending the transactions and not trying to identify you by your address balance requests (though ANY node can and may attempt that).

I'd like to see a simple onion network between nodes without Tor.
In the use case I mentioned a single network administrator controls the computers that run the node and the front end. I guess the risk then would be one of the computers on the same network becoming compromised and using zeroconf to advertise a malicious node?
netrin

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 05:44:22 AM

There are plenty of trust-based services on the LAN. High performance data-stores rarely authenticate and encrypt traffic, but rather assume the network is secure.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: