Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:40:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MPEx owner in danger of being extradited to US to face charges  (Read 14007 times)
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 01:52:27 PM

Lol, the irony of you calling *anything* fraud when Ken Slaughter, the guy you're shilling for, is under investigation for securities fraud (according to Ken Slaughter himself, can't make this shit up!) Roll Eyes

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phildo
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 01:53:09 PM

Didn't they also interview Pirate's victims.

err Yes but Popescu is the operator of an illegal Securities exchange/Ponzi scheme not a fraud victim. I know being interviewed does not imply guilt but you have to see why the interview is requested.

According to the letter from the SEC, they wanted info on S.DICE. it's a leap to say they are accusing MP of wrongdoing, it's another, bigger leap to say he's in danger of being extradited.
minerpart

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

IIIIII====II====IIIIII

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 02:29:25 PM

According to the letter from the SEC, they wanted info on S.DICE. it's a leap to say they are accusing MP of wrongdoing, it's another, bigger leap to say he's in danger of being extradited.

He has done some serious things and he has also conspired to commit blackmail against US businesses with pankkake his paid whore. They will both get a free ticket to the US.
Luttinen

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 02:49:07 PM

err Yes but Popescu is the operator of an illegal Securities exchange/Ponzi scheme not a fraud victim. I know being interviewed does not imply guilt but you have to see why the interview is requested.

Actually this is how things started for Liberty Reserve. First they received letters from US authorities and next thing they were all arrested.
minerpart

IIIIII====II====IIIIII

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 02:56:05 PM

Actually this is how things started for Liberty Reserve. First they received letters from US authorities and next thing they were all arrested.

It's pretty standard procedure. You find out what they are going to give you and if it's not enough you make arrests. People tend to open up in a Police cell.
Phildo
Legendary

Activity: 1526

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 02:56:51 PM

Next thing they were all arrested. 4 years after the CR authorities told them to get a license, 2 years after the US asked CR to investigate them, and after a multi-year investigation. Yup, definitely perfectly logical to assume that there are CIA guys on the way to put MP on a plane after this first letter that has nothing to do with anything.
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 03:00:07 PM

@Phildo:  OP of this thread, Herp, snapped after discovering that his buddy NeoDanny accidently all the bitcoin and he wasn't going to be the next Rothschild.  He has been banned from this forum.
The minerpart d00d invested in an elderly alcoholic from Missouri, with pretty much the same results.  Who woulda thunked?
Anyhow, they provide us the much-needed comic relief in these unpleasant times, every soul is useful.
Luttinen

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 03:07:39 PM

Thing is Liberty Reserve was complicated operation that reached all over the globe and involved many other foreign agencies. From info provided about this small exchange, things look pretty simple from a procedural standpoint. It will all end in few months time.
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 03:49:35 PM

As I see the SEC asking for information about Eric Voorhees not about MPEx, so I think at this time EV is the one to worry not MP. You guys shouldn't let your feelings to mislead your situation awareness Smiley.

Where did you get that from?

The SEC have contacted Popescu and requested an interview with him (by phone) which he denied them. If you think that means they will not be interested in him you are crazy.

From the Bloomberg article in OP Smiley. They linked the letter form SEC in the "The SEC sent a letter asking MPEx, an online exchange for Bitcoin-based trading, to provide contracts and other documents relating to SatoshiDice.com, according to a copy of the request posted on the website trilema.com." part. You can see here: http://trilema.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/2014-0303-popescu-mpex.pdf

But probably you know more than me, because of I haven't heard about the denied phone interview. Could you tell me where can I find more details, please?
Luttinen

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 03:50:36 PM

It's pretty standard procedure. You find out what they are going to give you and if it's not enough you make arrests. People tend to open up in a Police cell.

By the looks of things owner didn't cooperate much, by the contrary, he was pretty defiant. Even if he chooses to cooperate, they might still take him in for direct talks and put a freeze on exchange funds and assets.
thekekk

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 03:53:00 PM

There is a priority list you cannot jump from 15 to 18

1.  BTC980,000*. Satoshi Nakamoto

2.  BTC400,000*. HD Moore (AHA)

3.  BTC400,000*. Dustin D. Trammell (AHA)

4.  BTC400,000*. Tod Beardsley (AHA)

5.  BTC350,000*. "Dread Pirate Roberts" a.k.a. "DPR"

6.  BTC300,000.  Roger Ver

7.  BTC300,000*. "knightmb"

8.  BTC200,000. Mark Karpeles

8.5  BTC182,592. "Loaded"

9.  BTC174,000*. FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation, USA)

10.  BTC119,000. AsicMiner Management Team of 3 (names?)

11.  BTC110,000. Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss

12.  BTC100,000. "klaus"

13.  BTC100,000. "mezzomix"

14.  BTC75,000. "artforz"

15.  BTC70,000. Erik Voorhees

17.  BTC30,000. "nakowa"

18.  BTC30,000. Mircea Popescu

19.  BTC30,000. "Goat"

20.  BTC25,000. Chamath Palihapitiya

21.  BTC25,000. Gavin Andresen

22.  BTC20,000. Max Keiser

23.  BTC20,000. "Theymos"

BTC: 1AqwCAprjKRniThdxvCDx1TMPUYsqd8ig7
EAC: eYqPmqv3AiB12Z5b2MMpNm1vXtVPnp5PPX
e-token: e4ViTyRpJF9whLiKtLaAranijfeoTrww4u
Luttinen

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 04:23:48 PM

1.  BTC980,000*. Satoshi Nakamoto

2.  BTC400,000*. HD Moore (AHA)

3.  BTC400,000*. Dustin D. Trammell (AHA)

4.  BTC400,000*. Tod Beardsley (AHA)

5.  BTC350,000*. "Dread Pirate Roberts" a.k.a. "DPR"

6.  BTC300,000.  Roger Ver

7.  BTC300,000*. "knightmb"

8.  BTC200,000. Mark Karpeles

8.5  BTC182,592. "Loaded"

9.  BTC174,000*. FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation, USA)

10.  BTC119,000. AsicMiner Management Team of 3 (names?)

11.  BTC110,000. Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss

12.  BTC100,000. "klaus"

13.  BTC100,000. "mezzomix"

14.  BTC75,000. "artforz"

15.  BTC70,000. Erik Voorhees

17.  BTC30,000. "nakowa"

18.  BTC30,000. Mircea Popescu

19.  BTC30,000. "Goat"

20.  BTC25,000. Chamath Palihapitiya

21.  BTC25,000. Gavin Andresen

22.  BTC20,000. Max Keiser

23.  BTC20,000. "Theymos"

Interesting. So with this investigation the US can take down two birds with one stone as they are both high profile targets. More bragging rights for SEC.
TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 04:35:05 PM

1.  BTC980,000*. Satoshi Nakamoto

2.  BTC400,000*. HD Moore (AHA)

3.  BTC400,000*. Dustin D. Trammell (AHA)

4.  BTC400,000*. Tod Beardsley (AHA)

5.  BTC350,000*. "Dread Pirate Roberts" a.k.a. "DPR"

6.  BTC300,000.  Roger Ver

7.  BTC300,000*. "knightmb"

8.  BTC200,000. Mark Karpeles

8.5  BTC182,592. "Loaded"

9.  BTC174,000*. FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation, USA)

10.  BTC119,000. AsicMiner Management Team of 3 (names?)

11.  BTC110,000. Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss

12.  BTC100,000. "klaus"

13.  BTC100,000. "mezzomix"

14.  BTC75,000. "artforz"

15.  BTC70,000. Erik Voorhees

17.  BTC30,000. "nakowa"

18.  BTC30,000. Mircea Popescu

19.  BTC30,000. "Goat"

20.  BTC25,000. Chamath Palihapitiya

21.  BTC25,000. Gavin Andresen

22.  BTC20,000. Max Keiser

23.  BTC20,000. "Theymos"

Tell that to #16

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
Luttinen

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 04:48:53 PM

Subject: Message for Mircea Popescu from U.S. SEC
Date: Mon, March 3, 2014 11:22 am
To: officeoffice

Dear Mr. Popescu,

I have attached a formal letter requesting that MPEx voluntarily provide certain information and documentation to the SEC staff. I hope that the information contained in the letter satisfies your below concerns.

I appreciate your willingness to discuss these important issues and am available to discuss any additional questions you may have.

Thank you,

Daphna Waxman

followed by defiant reply:

Subject: Message for Mircea Popescu from U.S. SEC
Date: Tue, March 4, 2014 7:43 am
To: “Waxman, Daphna A.” waxman

While I appreciate your efforts to qualify for an information exchange agreement with MPEx, as well as your narrow satisfaction of the response timeline I publicly outlinediii, and while these constitute in my estimation significant progress towards building a solid platform upon which to further our shared goals, nevertheless substantial hurdles still remain to be overcome in this process.

As a key step, the commissioners of the SEC are to at their earliest convenience adopt a resolution, to be jointly drafted at expert level, which is to include a) a plain statement of the SEC’s lack of jurisdiction with regards to Bitcoin, thus alligning itself with the position of the US FED and the US GAO ; b) a statement recognising MPEx’ regulatory authority over Bitcoin finance as a SRO ; c) an appointment of any one of the commissioners as authorised Bitcoin liaison, which would include the creation of a dedicated PGP key and a Web of Trust membership, which would be recognised as such by MPEx, and on the basis of which all further communication is to be conducted, as well as minimal technical provisions for the operation of this system ; as well as further points as the parties may deem expedient.

This will both provide a solid basis for future, continued cooperation as well as conveniently insulate either party from unwelcome legal and technical complexities. Kindly let me know as soon as you are ready to proceed.

All the best,
Mircea Popescu

I think it's pretty clear what happens next.
minerpart

IIIIII====II====IIIIII

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 04:49:05 PM

I haven't heard about the denied phone interview. Could you tell me where can I find more details, please?

Use google, this story is everywhere. If he often dresses like this they will have zero problem finding him - even in Romania this look is pretty special.

http://www.ihavebitcoins.com/featured/sec-asked-romanian-bitcoin-ceo-private-data-response/
jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 04:56:42 PM

I haven't heard about the denied phone interview. Could you tell me where can I find more details, please?

Use google, this story is everywhere. If he often dresses like this they will have zero problem finding him - even in Romania this look is pretty special.

http://www.ihavebitcoins.com/featured/sec-asked-romanian-bitcoin-ceo-private-data-response/

Lol this image is too perfect.

No surprise mircea dresses like that.
Luttinen

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 04:57:48 PM

This blew me away. This part:

In the spirit of candor, let me make it perfectly clear that what’s being discussed here is nothing else and nothing short of the SEC’s ultimate relevancy and importance in the Bitcoin space, and so far I am not particularly impressed. Let us work together to improve upon this shaky basis if at all possible.

All the best,
Mircea Popescu

He really made SEC want to go after him. They will do so just to set an example.
jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 05:03:54 PM

He really made SEC want to go after him. They will do so just to set an example.

You forgot the best part:

As a key step, the commissioners of the SEC are to at their earliest convenience adopt a resolution, to be jointly drafted at expert level, which is to include a) a plain statement of the SEC’s lack of jurisdiction with regards to Bitcoin, thus alligning itself with the position of the US FED and the US GAO ; b) a statement recognising MPEx’ regulatory authority over Bitcoin finance as a SRO
Luttinen

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 05:06:59 PM

You forgot the best part:

As a key step, the commissioners of the SEC are to at their earliest convenience adopt a resolution, to be jointly drafted at expert level, which is to include a) a plain statement of the SEC’s lack of jurisdiction with regards to Bitcoin, thus alligning itself with the position of the US FED and the US GAO ; b) a statement recognising MPEx’ regulatory authority over Bitcoin finance as a SRO

If this isn't provocation of most direct kind not sure what is. SEC is probably all guns blazing now working to nail him. I'd be surprised if he's not arrested by August the latest.
Ozymandias2

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 05:20:25 PM

Is it possible to drown in popcorn?
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: