Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 07:59:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PREPAID BITCOIN CARDS are soon coming to stores this summer!  (Read 2057 times)
beckeswins (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 07:26:31 PM

I tried posting this once already and it "disappeared".... not sure if a moderator had a problem with it but here goes again....

Solpower Corporation (OTC: SOCR) announced that they are ready to bring prepaid bitcoin cards to market this summer.  This could be huge as prepaid VISA/MC have gotten huge over recent years.  This is a way to 1) buy BTC with cash without ever touching an IP address related to you, and 2) bring in un-comuter-savvy  and "un-bank-able" consumers to bitcoin. 

This is also a publicly traded company although the brokers I've spoken with so far say they can't trade it because it was put on a "chill list" after the recent bitcoin PR release. Here's a link to where I saw the story:  [Suspicious link removed]j.com/article/PR-CO-20140401-907327.html[/url]

It doesn't seem to be getting much attention yet but I think this is huge!!!
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 07:32:08 PM

Wow, I hope it's true, that would be big!

BTCBTCBTC  !!!
amspir

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 07:35:02 PM

Wow, I hope it's true, that would be big!

BTCBTCBTC  !!!

You do realize it is april 1?
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 07:36:52 PM

armspir, argh!  TWICE today!

EDIT: Maybe I should just drive back home and go to bed...
serenitys

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 08:23:27 PM

Why did they delete it?

Even if the link was a joke/scam whatever, the POINT of the topic being a good idea was not. I added there that I share the opinion that a bitcoin card would be an ideal way to get mainstream adoption. People are used to gift cards, they get the concept of self funded cards. If bitcoin was introduced to the public that way - merchants would jump on board seeing the demand as more people want to spend their bitcoin in their shops.

Is anyone even working on this? What are the drawbacks and how could they be overcome? I'd much prefer to just buy some bitcoin cards and side step all the convoluted stuff behind exchanges (that is, when I'm not secretly becoming a speculation pro Cheesy ) and so would most of the public.

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
amspir

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 08:27:33 PM

Why did they delete it?

Even if the link was a joke/scam whatever, the POINT of the topic being a good idea was not. I added there that I share the opinion that a bitcoin card would be an ideal way to get mainstream adoption. People are used to gift cards, they get the concept of self funded cards. If bitcoin was introduced to the public that way - merchants would jump on board seeing the demand as more people want to spend their bitcoin in their shops.

Is anyone even working on this? What are the drawbacks and how could they be overcome? I'd much prefer to just buy some bitcoin cards and side step all the convoluted stuff behind exchanges (that is, when I'm not secretly becoming a speculation pro Cheesy ) and so would most of the public.

I would think it would be a great idea, however it would require an online system for the merchant.   You can't leave raw loaded bitcoin private keys under a scratch-off silver coating, and the price would have to correspond to the current market price.   Similar system are in place though, such as buying a green dot money pak.

trior

Activity: 85

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 08:39:01 PM

This is the full article from wsj .

Solpower announces significant advances including arrangements to sell preloaded bitcoin cards in retail stores nationwide

POMPANO BEACH, Fla., April 1, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Solpower Corporation (OTCPink: SOCR) today announced that as part of the Bitcoin Collect Platform, there will be pre-loaded cards sold nationwide called the Bitcoin Collect Bitcard allowing people to purchase bitcoin at their local convenient stores for cash, adding to the anonymity of the new virtual currency. People will shortly be able to buy bitcoin with cash, and use that bitcoin in various retail establishments including medical marijuana depositories in a way that leaves no connection to a name or a person, protecting privacy and security.

The company acknowledges that a major problem for a lot of people, who would be patients of medical marijuana, is that it either requires having the name of a dispensary on their bank statement, or carrying cash, which could be lost or stolen. The addition of the Bitcoin Collect Bitcard makes this a thing of the past. Each card has a serial number and a QR code so bitcoin can change hands by simply scanning it with just about any smartphone.

The recently announced Bitcoin collect system has been undergoing beta testing with terrific results, and the company plans to release the full platform to the public in early to mid summer. "We are really excited to release the tools to the public. Our developers have used some of the core code used to build our industry recognized Medcare Collect system, so you know it is secure, and easy to use. This is the future of currency transactions, and we are at the forefront," said the company CEO, Charles Neinstedt.

Solpower Corporation, which recently began the process of filing for a name change to Bitcoin Collect, Inc. awaiting approval from FINRA, has several plans on the table for the coming quarters including the possibility of a significant stock dividend to increase liquidity, as well as the additional cancellation of insider shares. The company has already begun preparing a large network of retail stores, and specifically medical marijuana dispensaries for rollout of the Bitcoin Collect Merchant Services and the Bitcoin Collect Bitcard. According to Solpower, their distribution of the software and cards has been worked on for almost six months and will offer a significant leap forward for the company in just a few quarters.

About Solpower

Solpower Corporation, soon to be called Bitcoin Collect, Inc.(TM), owns and operates a software company that designs innovative solutions to problems that plague industries globally. Its products include Medcare Collect(TM), a healthcare billing system that allows patients to pay off medical bills over time with no credit check, and Bitcoin Collect(TM), a complete virtual currency merchant platform built around the new Bitcoin currency, as well as the Bitcard, a sort of Bitcoin debit card people can use to purchase bitcoin with cash.

DISCLAIMER This Press Release may contain certain forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. The Company has tried, whenever possible, to identify these forward-looking statements using words such as "anticipates," "believes," "estimates," "expects," "plans," "intends," "potential" and similar expressions. These statements reflect the Company's current beliefs and are based upon information currently available to it. Accordingly, such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which could cause the Company's actual results, performance or achievements to differ materially from those expressed in or implied by such statements. The Company undertakes no obligation to update or advise in the event of any change, addition or alteration to the information catered in this Press Release including such forward-looking statements.

SOURCE Solpower Corporation

/CONTACT: Investor relations, investor@solpowerco.com, 877-531-6613

Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 08:56:33 PM

Pink Sheet Stocks are worse than Bitcoin scammers, IMHO.
Jigme

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 09:02:19 PM

why is this something to get excited about  Huh I can buy from coinbase or localbitcoin or whereever
trior

Activity: 85

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 09:03:48 PM

Pink Sheet Stocks are worse than Bitcoin scammers, IMHO.

Men , you watch a lot of movies.
"the wolf of wall street"

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 12:37:43 AM

why is this something to get excited about  Huh I can buy from coinbase or localbitcoin or whereever

Retail distribution would be huge for bitcoin.  That's business 101

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 12:49:22 AM

I check their PR releases and this is what i get:

One of their press releases:
POMPANO BEACH, Fla., Sept. 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Solpower Corporation, Symbol (SOCR), today announced it has submitted a preliminary patent application for a new and exciting technology that could change how police handle interactions with suspects and even alter the widely controversial "Stop and Question" laws many states have. The new technology, referred to as a Visual Recognition Indicator (VRI), will help to empower law enforcement officers with the ability to know if a subject possibly committed a crime.  The company feels this software installed in a mobile device will be in every patrol car in the country and has already identified several police departments to beta test the product.
The whole company seems to be an april fools joke.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
beckeswins (OP)

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 01:16:09 AM

yes the press release is real, not an April fools joke. 

yes, for some reason the link keeps getting deleted, it was WSJ.

yes, the post about the company's Visual Response Indicator is CREEPY.

But the company is changing it's name to Bitcoin Collect, Inc so hopefully they're just making bitcoin prepaid cards their main thing....

As for WHY this is huge- again, opens bitcoin up to a huge segment of the population that would otherwise likely not bother with BTC.  Many people don't want to go through the hassle of opening a Coinbase account (although it's easier than opening a bank account) or the scary process of localbitcoins.com (not scary at all but most sheeple will think it is). Just think prepaid VISA users of various sorts and the unbankables.  This would also allow for quick and easy cash purchases not connected to any IP address.

I exchanged emails with the CEO of the company, Charles Nienstedt, and he would not give too much information.  They're publicly traded so I think he can only provide info that's been released in public PR releases. 

I wonder: what the exchange rate will be, if it will be an actual address and private key (perhaps private key under scratch off?) or if they will be storing private keys themselves remotely. If the actual address and private key are on the card then that poses exchange rate volatility problems for the company.....unless they were participating in swaps as protection.

Very interesting anyway.
serenitys

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 02:09:31 AM

Awesome...definitely keeping an eye on this development!

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:05:33 AM

So now this is real, not a joke?

Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:36:11 AM

I would love to see it happen. If it does I would a few each time I shop.

stevegraden

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 09:29:08 PM

umm. guys, this is already being done by Prepaidbitco.in  I bought a $25 prepaid bitcoin card on their site. tired of coinbase
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 05:31:13 AM

umm. guys, this is already being done by Prepaidbitco.in  I bought a $25 prepaid bitcoin card on their site. tired of coinbase

Then there is nothing new with Solpower.

But their shipping and handling charges are extremely high ($25 for a $100 card).
softron

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 01:12:04 PM

Good idea, Where is the company located

zolace

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 01:25:09 PM

love the fact there will be more ways to get bitcoins, now seems everyone will have to rival against each other for selling bitcoins, but if they only focuos on bitcoin cards then that leaves room for litecoin and others to easly compete on.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: