Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:12:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Question About Volatility  (Read 581 times)
serenitys (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 08:08:08 PM

Am I wrong in my n00bsque opinion derived from a mere 2 days of researching and reading about bitcoin from a knowledge base of zero on the topic, that there probably isn't likely going to be another point for bitcoin value to drop below the $100 mark - or maybe once more before it begins its upward climb to mainstream adoption?

I'm getting the impression that the volatility is more in the scared, skittish sorts bailing out the second the media tells them anything negative about bitcoin, and not the actual value of bitcoin itself. That, to me, seems like artificial market manipulation more than the actual value of bitcoin being lost, so when the media starts hollering abandon ship, it's really to get the chickens out of the way and drive the price down so they can swoop in and get BTC - with real value - at a deal (or steal). Is that what's happening?

Also, how does the price/value work? It seems like it's that simple but since this is new to me and I've reached information overload in 36 hours, I'm not convinced this isn't way more complicated and technical than "buy low, sell high" Cheesy

So if I purchased 1 btc today at $480 and tomorrow China officially bans bitcoin, the US starts yapping about banning it, and all the skittish people jump overboard, the value drops below $100, technically I lost money, but if the media says WalMart will start accepting bitcoin and the value suddenly jumps to $1000, did I double my money? Do I have 2 bitcoins and change? How does this work? Am I missing something?

I totally get the speculation part and it's kind of exciting (is that bad? Cheesy ) wondering if I should wait til the next media beat down for the price to drop to a more "appealing" range ($100 or less) and jump in then, or just fork over $500 and buy one, and let it ride the wave.

Advice?

(And by advice I don't mean suggesting bitcoin is doomed, I know it's not...it's emerging. These are growing pains is what it looks like from here)

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
5thStreetResearch

Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 08:12:58 PM

The Bitcoin network has yet to grow into the size that speculation drove prices to.  There just is not enough business transacted in bitcoin at the moment to justify its price.  Because of this the price could still drop considerably from here.  Bitcoin is in a pretty firm downtrend at the moment, just as speculation can prices higher than is maybe justified, it can also take it lower than is warranted.  

serenitys (OP)

Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 08:15:10 PM

Thanks - is there somewhere you can point me to to keep an eye on the trend itself?

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
amspir

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 08:16:46 PM

Bitcoin currently has a market cap (all bitcoins in existence x current market price of btc)  of about $6 billion USD.

Compare that to a company with a market cap similar in magnitude as the market cap of bitcoin:  Twitter (currently at $27 billion)

Twitter tanked by 24% recently, and lost more than what all the bitcoins in the world are "worth"

Until bitcoin's market cap gets bigger, it will remain volatile.
5thStreetResearch

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 08:18:07 PM

Here is a chart I made...

TKeenan

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 08:18:56 PM

Am I wrong in my n00bsque opinion derived from a mere 2 days of researching and reading about bitcoin from a knowledge base of zero on the topic, that there probably isn't likely going to be another point for bitcoin value to drop below the $100 mark - or maybe once more before it begins its upward climb to mainstream adoption?

Exactly half of all people involved are willing to bet bitcoin will go up from $485 and the other half are sure it will go down from $485.  That is how open and free markets work.  People are betting very large sums it will go up - and the other people are betting large sums it will go down.  If the number of people on either side shifts even slightly, the price will immediately change to reflect that until it is again 50/50.  

Absolutely nobody thinks it will go down to $100.  'likely'?  lol!  

fonzie

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 08:20:30 PM

Exactly half of all people involved are willing to bet bitcoin will go up from $485 and the other half are sure it will go down from $485.  That is how open and free markets work.  People are betting very large sums it will go up - and the other people are betting large sums it will go down.  If the number of people on either side shifts even slightly, the price will immediately change to reflect that until it is again 50/50.  

I´m almost certain that we will see a price between 50 and 150$ this year!

"To know death, Otto, you have to fuck life in the gallbladder"
www.hsbc.com  - The world´s local bank
"These FUDsters are insane egomaniacs that just want cheap BTC" - oblivi
5thStreetResearch

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 10:45:21 PM

I´m almost certain that we will see a price between 50 and 150$ this year!

Yea this would not be surprising at all.  I dont understand why some people seem so certain that this is not even a possibility.  How many of us are actually using bitcoin for day to day purchases or regular uses apart from trading or gambling?  The reality is that there are not many people doing so which makes it hard to justify a $6b market cap.

knightcoin

Activity: 238

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 10:48:07 PM

you guys are selling like crazy .. I must be rich then ...

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: