Bitcoin Forum
December 09, 2016, 05:38:08 PM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining on gaming consoles  (Read 15311 times)
Anonymous

December 22, 2011, 02:35:53 PM

Is there a way for me to use my xbox360, ps3, or wii, to mine for bitcoins?? Some sort of code written to be like a game, but actually is a miner. I would think that a gaming console would have the highest hash rates of them all.
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
heinz

Activity: 83

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 02:41:31 PM

Other
Model   p/t   Mhash/s   Mhash/J   Mhash/s/$   ACP [W]   Clock   Version   Comment
Cell   6   21   0.35   0.07   60W   3.2 GHz   Cellminer   Sony Playstation 3 (FAT): Needs custom firmware. source source Total power usage of PS3 fat is 120W but only the Cell cpu is active.
Cell   7   26.6   ?   ?   60W   3.2 GHz   Cellminer   Sony Playstation 3 (FAT): Needs custom firmware. source source Running with 7th spu enabled and both ppe cores.
Cell   6   21   0.7   0.07   35W   3.2 GHz   cellminer   Sony Playstation 3 (SLIM): Total power usage of PS3 slim is 70W but only the Cell cpu is active.

Taken from https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison
Azrael_PT

Activity: 154

Par Pari Refertur

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2011, 02:42:39 PM

Hi.
I think that the PS3 has something but it runs on linux.
http://www.ps3hax.net/2011/06/cellminer-bitcoin-miner-for-the-cell-broadband-engine-architecture/
The hash rate is not so high as you think.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison#Other

Donations: 16WPtSGFtj7wH2TxQi5tZfdxtAG84zPVwD
CEX.IO
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 02:53:47 PM

Is there a way for me to use my xbox360, ps3, or wii, to mine for bitcoins?? Some sort of code written to be like a game, but actually is a miner.

Yes.

I would think that a gaming console would have the highest hash rates of them all.

No.

When Bitcoin was CPU mined consoles were pretty powerful compared to home computers.   However GPU destroyed those perfromance metrics.  Remember xbox360 & PS3 are now what 7 years old?  That means the hardware (which was finalized about 2 years before launch) is almost 9 years old.

It would be like saying I think a low end video card from 9 years ago would be a powerful miner.   Moore's law is a monster.  Even if a console is top of the line (which usually they aren't)  a decade in an insanely long time.   GPU performance roughly doubles every 18 months.  An entry level video card today (i.e. $59 special) is many magnitudes more powerful that the most powerful GPU from 10 years ago.    Worse the GPU on consoles can't be used at all.  They come from a time before programmable shaders.  They can't run OpenCL code.

Hypothetically shortly after launch of the "next xbox/PS" they may be decent miners depending on how powerful their GPU are and if they are OpenCL capable.  No way to know until they launch.   Today PS3/xbox is worthless for Bitcoin.  Maybe someone could look to see if they can mine "CPU friendly" chains.  A lot would depend on how much L1 cache they have.  My guess is they won't do a very good job there either.
Anonymous

December 22, 2011, 02:57:18 PM

Oh, I see. Thank you all.
ssvb

Activity: 39

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 09:04:35 PM

Maybe someone could look to see if they can mine "CPU friendly" chains.  A lot would depend on how much L1 cache they have.  My guess is they won't do a very good job there either.
There is Cell/BE optimized miner for litecoin, which can run on linux capable PS3 consoles : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=55953.0
Probably a lot of people have already noticed it, but I got zero feedback from PS3 owners so far Wink
fivemileshigh

Activity: 136

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 09:55:46 PM

Probably a lot of people have already noticed it, but I got zero feedback from PS3 owners so far Wink

I'm thinking of getting a PS3 just for litecoin mining. Just doing the math to see if it makes sense. If your numbers are right, the PS3 is the cat's ass, by a very long shot. I wonder why there don't seem to be more people using it.

Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2012, 09:58:20 PM

I'm thinking of getting a PS3 just for litecoin mining. Just doing the math to see if it makes sense. If your numbers are right, the PS3 is the cat's ass, by a very long shot. I wonder why there don't seem to be more people using it.
Except litecoins are not even worth pennies and only going down. Just because you can get a bunch of KH/s doesn't make it good.  Run the numbers for the electricity and then see if you think it is still "the cat's ass"

fivemileshigh

Activity: 136

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 10:20:00 PM

I meant cat's ass relative to anything else on that list. I'm aware ltc is barely pennies, but so was btc at one point. I'll do the math and we'll see.
gurg2.o

Activity: 42

Living

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 10:22:39 PM

Good idea, not so productive though  Embarrassed

Successfully traded with: Delorean, FreeMoney
The Bitcoin Magazine! http://bittalk.tv/?page_id=314
ssvb

Activity: 39

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 01:35:37 AM

I'm thinking of getting a PS3 just for litecoin mining.
For LTC mining, OtherOS capable PS3 is needed. And there are no chances of finding one of these in the shops nowadays. But some people may still have PS3 consoles with the older version of firmware.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 01:49:05 AM

I meant cat's ass relative to anything else on that list. I'm aware ltc is barely pennies, but so was btc at one point. I'll do the math and we'll see.

That wasn't the point.  When BTC was worth pennies it was still worth more than the electrical cost to produce them.   Compare electricity consumed vs value of LTC produced.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.