Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:12:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Apology to OldEngineer  (Read 3438 times)
the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 05:38:40 PM
Last edit: December 23, 2011, 12:30:54 AM by the joint

Hello,

By now I am sure many of you are familiar with my protest over the decision OldEngineer made in his game.  And, while, I do not regret my general approach to justifying my position, I realize that certain aspects of my approach have had, and may have, unintended consequences that I do not wish for.

I would like to apologize, first, to OldEngineer, for originally giving my protest thread the title of "OldEngineer Screwed Me out of 5 BTC."  I am not exactly sure how long the title was kept like this before I changed it to "I think OldEngineer screwed me out of 5 BTC" and finally to "I think Someone screwed me out of 5 BTC."  While I made the initial change quickly after I realized placing "I think" before it would be more accurate, I did not consider that it would be searchable through Google.  It is still searchable through Google, and if anyone has any idea how to remove that thread title from the Google search index, please let me know.  In any case, I am sorry, OldEngineer, if my thread caused you any unintended harm.

I would also like to apologize to the community if anyone was personally offended by the entire ordeal.  Again, it was not my intent as I felt and continue to feel as though I am justified in my defense.  But, still, I am sorry for any unintended hurt and for any intentional snappy comebacks cast towards those that I had believed to be antagonizing me.    Apology to the community retracted.

I have sent a message to Theymos requesting that he remove my protest thread in its entirety.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 05:47:20 PM

+1

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 05:49:46 PM

christ... all this for $20

(BFL)^2 < 0
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 05:57:13 PM
Last edit: December 22, 2011, 06:08:04 PM by jwzguy

christ... all this for $20
It's sad what some people are willing to ruin their reputation over.

The joint, I un-ignored you to give you another chance when I saw this apology thread. I guess I shouldn't have bothered. That's the most half-assed apology ever. You basically said "I'm not sorry for what I've done, I'm just sorry there were consequences." You sound like a sociopath.

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2011, 06:33:57 PM
Last edit: December 22, 2011, 07:29:14 PM by casascius

I don't think I was offended, it's just, obviously you are realizing how silly you looked to everyone else the whole time, just a little too late.

it reminds me of the time Matthew N. Wright got into some dispute over 1 BTC he refused to pay an artist who completed the job he asked for, simply because the artist had made his demand for payment public because it wasn't getting anywhere.  I have always viewed him as being in junior high ever since, though maybe he really is.

Your biggest mistake had nothing to do with UTC, it was that you felt (and probably still feel) that "the law" or "morals" or "ethics" entitled you to receive a gift from somebody who didn't choose to give it to you.  The fact that you added "I think" makes no difference - we understand it's what "you think" - it's just, well, you paint yourself precisely as the moochers (Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand, 1957) that many of us abhor.  All moochers think that people have an obligation to give them things in exchange for nothing.  (I bet if you go read the book and convince us you actually read it, you'll gain back much of the respect you lost in that thread! lol...google for the cliff's notes if the length is a problem)

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 06:40:13 PM

I have sent a message to Theymos requesting that he remove my protest thread in its entirety.

Personally I think your thread should not be removed.  It gives good insight into how you think for anyone who may be dealing with you in the future.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 06:53:51 PM

Personally I think your thread should not be removed.  It gives good insight into how you think for anyone who may be dealing with you in the future.

If you do not wish to remove it, then don't.  You are the moderator.  

I wanted it removed for OldEngineer.
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2011, 07:03:31 PM

It gives good insight into how you think ...
As does this thread.

Recognizing one's mistakes and trying to correct them is a wonderful quality to see in someone.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 07:16:37 PM

As does this thread.

Recognizing one's mistakes and trying to correct them is a wonderful quality to see in someone.

I'll +1 this.
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050

You are WRONG!

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 07:18:42 PM

As does this thread.

but still people needs to know who they are dealing with. i like to see both posts, and making my opinion.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 07:20:47 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg3m8wRVXWg

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2011, 07:26:04 PM
Last edit: December 22, 2011, 11:30:28 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

I only read the first paragraph in the OP and, personally, there's no ill feels stemming from this direction. Whatever that whole episode was about, I'm sure this thread will have us moving forward, the joint.

~Bruno~
old_engineer

Activity: 387
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 08:05:59 PM

Thank you, apology accepted.  It's time to move on.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 08:09:00 PM

You are welcome. 
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 09:14:36 PM

Personally I think your thread should not be removed.  It gives good insight into how you think for anyone who may be dealing with you in the future.

I went ahead and removed the two moved topic redirects, so that should reduce the Google exposure. I also renamed the subject of every post to "I Think I Got Screwed out of 5 BTC".

That being said, it is against policy to remove any thread that has a meaningful reply by the request of the original poster. As tysat explained, there is a very good reason for this policy.

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 09:22:31 PM

I went ahead and removed the two moved topic redirects, so that should reduce the Google exposure. I also renamed the subject of every post to "I Think I Got Screwed out of 5 BTC".

That being said, it is against policy to remove any thread that has a meaningful reply by the request of the original poster. As tysat explained, there is a very good reason for this policy.

Fair enough. 
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 09:45:52 PM

As does this thread.

Recognizing one's mistakes and trying to correct censor the main discussion of them is a wonderful quality to see in someone.

haha yeah.

No.

OldEngineer had threatened to sue me for libel since the title of the thread was indexed under Google search.  I wanted the thread removed in hopes that it would remove the original title, the one stating that "OldEngineer screwed me out of 5 BTC."  The only libelous comment I may have made regarded the thread's title, not the content inside it.  It was his request that I remove the title from Google index search.

Don't make the same mistake I did (see censor) or you could find yourself backtracking too.

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 04:36:55 AM

As does this thread.

Recognizing one's mistakes and trying to correct censor the main discussion of them is a wonderful quality to see in someone.

haha yeah.

No.

OldEngineer had threatened to sue me for libel since the title of the thread was indexed under Google search.  I wanted the thread removed in hopes that it would remove the original title, the one stating that "OldEngineer screwed me out of 5 BTC."  The only libelous comment I may have made regarded the thread's title, not the content inside it.  It was his request that I remove the title from Google index search.

Don't make the same mistake I did (see censor) or you could find yourself backtracking too.

i go by the belief that anything posted to the internet is there permanently, no matter how hard you try to remove it.

good luck.

Well, hopefully it is removed.  OldEngineer was kind enough to offer his own BTC in the game.  If not, I feel assured knowing the legal advice I sought laughed at the situation and told me any prosecuting attorney would get laughed out of court if he tried presenting it to a judge.  Interestingly, he knew what Bitcoin is.
sd

Activity: 730
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 05:10:38 PM

The joint is a jerk who went into a hissy fit because some total stranger didn't give him some free stuff. End of discussion.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 06:14:36 PM

The joint is a jerk who went into a hissy fit because some total stranger didn't give him some free stuff. End of discussion.

Suck it.  This is why I retracted my apology to the community.  It's completely undeserved.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: