Bitcoin Forum
July 31, 2024, 04:29:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mintcoin vs Blackcoin  (Read 1172 times)
dogechode

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 05:30:02 PM

I agree most if not all alt markets are highly manipulated, the same can be said about any market with low capitalization, however there has to be a fundamental basis for value otherwise there is no purpose in trading.

Until there is REAL ADOPTION, all trading will be highly speculative as it is now, where people are essentially buying crypto in the hopes that they will pick "the right one" and see a massive price increase. It's a bit like penny stocks. By real adoption, I mean the status quo changing to the point where actual normal people (not just miners and investors) are going out of their way to acquire crypto and commonly using it for transactions.
mgburks77

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 05:38:59 PM

Crypto valuations are fundamentally based on innovation and scarcity.

I'm sorry but this portion of what you said is flat out wrong. Crypto values are currently based almost 100% on trader manipulation behind the scenes, with the exception of MAYBE bitcoin and litecoin due to their age and comparative maturity (name recognition, merchant acceptance, etc) when compared to coins that have been out less than 6 months.
I agree most, if not all alt markets are highly manipulated. The same can be said about any market with low capitalization, however there has to be a fundamental basis for value otherwise there is no purpose in trading.

That fundamental basis means being accepted by merchants, presence on exchanges, and stuff like a working android wallet that allows minting on a tablet or mobile device.
mgburks77

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 05:41:15 PM

I agree most if not all alt markets are highly manipulated, the same can be said about any market with low capitalization, however there has to be a fundamental basis for value otherwise there is no purpose in trading.

Until there is REAL ADOPTION, all trading will be highly speculative as it is now, where people are essentially buying crypto in the hopes that they will pick "the right one" and see a massive price increase. It's a bit like penny stocks. By real adoption, I mean the status quo changing to the point where actual normal people (not just miners and investors) are going out of their way to acquire crypto and commonly using it for transactions.

Exactly, great points all around. This is a highly speculative market subject to all types of disruptions. I think some of that will level off as soon as some of the aspects of a coin that add fundamental value are enhanced by further development
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 05:43:53 PM

I agree, the larger the market capitalization, the harder it becomes to manipulate but to say alt-prices are 100% due to manipulation is simply not correct. In regards to the alt coin market scarcity and innovation play a fundamental aspect of the price, for the same reason one 42 coin is valued at 140 BTC and one Doge is valued at 100 sat.
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 05:46:35 PM

Crypto valuations are fundamentally based on innovation and scarcity.

I'm sorry but this portion of what you said is flat out wrong. Crypto values are currently based almost 100% on trader manipulation behind the scenes, with the exception of MAYBE bitcoin and litecoin due to their age and comparative maturity (name recognition, merchant acceptance, etc) when compared to coins that have been out less than 6 months.
I agree most, if not all alt markets are highly manipulated. The same can be said about any market with low capitalization, however there has to be a fundamental basis for value otherwise there is no purpose in trading.

That fundamental basis means being accepted by merchants, presence on exchanges, and stuff like a working android wallet that allows minting on a tablet or mobile device.
Being accepted by merchants or any of those items are not a fundamental requirement for value, that is the speculative part.
mgburks77

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 05:55:14 PM

I agree, the larger the market capitalization, the harder it becomes to manipulate but to say the alt-prices price are 100% due to manipulation is simply not correct. In regards to the alt coin market scarcity and innovation play a fundamental aspect of the value, for the same reason one 42 coin is valued at 140 BTC and one Doge is valued at 100 sat.

well, who can afford 1 42 coin and will use it and who can afford 1 dogecoin and will use it? Nobody the former, and everybody the latter.

I think utility and usage has more weight than market cap or distribution rate. The logic behind the idea that scarcity automatically increases value and therefore usage is sort of short sighted. Especially in light of what are essentially fiat currencies without any government "fiat" backing them up.  

There is no real "inherent" value to any currency, only general social agreement to use it so I think the entire economic perspective being presented by that type of argument is outdated imho
dogechode

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 06:20:26 PM

You don't need one whole 42 coin to use it, just like you don't need one whole bitcoin to use it. I think what I said is being misinterpreted slightly; when I say manipulation I am including speculative investment solely for the sake of trying to catch a coin on a pump.

Innovation means nothing if the coin is not being widely used for actual transactions. If 99.99% of the transactions occurring for a coin are between miner->investor->other investor etc etc then the price is nonsense it's all endless speculation and market manipulation to convert altcoins to BTC/LTC because those do have some small inherent value beyond mere speculation, since they are (to a small degree) being used for actual purchases and payments rather than just penny stock style flipping.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: