Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 05:30:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: For a beginner does Bitcoin or Altcoin make more sense?  (Read 1812 times)
martio (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 01:54:31 PM

Hi folks, will keep it short and sweet. Would something like this be any use for Bitcoin mining http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-Newest-USB-BTC-Miner-300H-S-Bitcoin-Mine-Machine-Bitcoin-Mining-Asicminer-For-Bitcoin-Mining/1662618230.html It a USB thingie, not sure that it would be any good at all tbh. And what do people think of Quarkcoin? Looks interesting having really only discovered Bitcoin and Altcoin yesterday. For a beginner I kind of think an altcoin like Quark might more more sense for me, no expensive equipment or cloud contracts etc, mine from your CPU. Low price to buy if you want to buy. Btw, are Coinmkt ok to deal with? Is there any other exchange where you can trade US$ directly for Altcoin, Quark for example? Thanks.   
crocko

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

'All that glitters is not gold'

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 01:58:16 PM

I hope you will find this useful: http://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency

Find my posts helpful? Click my Trust link and rep me!
BTC: 1MqUxoDQE8Q88sDvoaLMbBJSMToSfPgKSy  DOGE: D61Na9wjuneAn9GFLRNrHgWHHFwVfd1T7y  LTC: 3Luo136zrqkCi53jT72FEY52GbwW1ZYi6X
lassdas
Legendary

Activity: 3662
Merit: 1452

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 02:14:10 PM

Well,
it would be of use in the sense that it's able to generate Bitcoin-Hashes, but....

a 300MH/s Bitcoin-Miner is (at current BTC-rates) not worth the $25,
more like $1.  Cheesy

No idea about Altcoins, i don't use those.
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 02:35:43 PM

Barrier to entry for any BTC ASICs worth buying is getting into the multiple thousands range.

Though you may like to see if Ken can still honor this special price on the 512Gh VMC FastHash... https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=462370.msg6018837#msg6018837

Possibly gridseed scrypt ASICs from a reputable seller shipped right away may be profitable still, compared to building a whole new scrypt rig with GPUs, but that kind of depends on how soon the monster machines like the KNC Titan ship.

Alternatively, if you have a machine already with a PCIe slot or two and a good PSU, then scouring local classifieds for a good deal on a used GPU may get you ahead. GPUs look like being useful for some time, but there could be a massive selloff dumping the resale value when scrypt ASICs take over.

Edit: Oh and the great big elephant in the ASIC room at the moment is, that BTC price is so low that you are just as likely to make dollar profits buying BTC right now as buying miners.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
Prolifik

Activity: 588
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 02:40:15 PM

Sadly that device would only earn you a pennys worth of Bitcoin a day  Undecided

GPU mining altcoins is the way to go. Though it can be a little expensive to get into. (nothing compared to asics)

martio (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 02:41:21 PM

I hope you will find this useful: http://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency

Thanks. Tbh, those graphs make little sense to me. I am at an uber basic stage. I didn't see QRK there though? For me mining would be more like a pastime, a hobby, an interest - not an all out lets make money thing. Bitcoin and Altcoin are fascinating though, we've had a small online business for a few years now and we're going to start taking both Bitcoin and Altcoin I think. It is really good, love the idea of both. We're also setting up another online business and we have to consider taking Bitcoin and Altcoin there too. The last 24 hrs have been fascinating for me.
Prolifik

Activity: 588

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 02:54:41 PM

One of these would be a sound investment and introduction to crypto mining.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131545

Around $250 after taxes and shipping

Gives you around 450KH/s Scrypt or 450MH/s SHA256 when its setup correctly.

martio (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 02:57:33 PM

Well,
it would be of use in the sense that it's able to generate Bitcoin-Hashes, but....

a 300MH/s Bitcoin-Miner is (at current BTC-rates) not worth the $25,
more like $1.  Cheesy

No idea about Altcoins, i don't use those.

Lovely  Undecided lol
martio (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 03:08:06 PM

Barrier to entry for any BTC ASICs worth buying is getting into the multiple thousands range.

Though you may like to see if Ken can still honor this special price on the 512Gh VMC FastHash... https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=462370.msg6018837#msg6018837

Possibly gridseed scrypt ASICs from a reputable seller shipped right away may be profitable still, compared to building a whole new scrypt rig with GPUs, but that kind of depends on how soon the monster machines like the KNC Titan ship.

Alternatively, if you have a machine already with a PCIe slot or two and a good PSU, then scouring local classifieds for a good deal on a used GPU may get you ahead. GPUs look like being useful for some time, but there could be a massive selloff dumping the resale value when scrypt ASICs take over.

Edit: Oh and the great big elephant in the ASIC room at the moment is, that BTC price is so low that you are just as likely to make dollar profits buying BTC right now as buying miners.

Thanks. Yeah, I did see Gridseed alright, again at Aliexpress (descried to me as kind of like a Chinese ebay without the auction) About €160, guess that's about $210 or so. I wouldn't have a clue how to work these things, not even sure if my better half would although she has a BSc in SoftDev and an MSc in InfoSec. But she's on the software side of things not the hardware side. Tbh, she'd probably understand what you wrote more than I do. Yeah, noticed BTC has fallen recently. That's the risk with any currency, crypto or otherwise.   
fatguyyyyy

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

Bitcoin Mixer: https://BitLaunder.com

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 03:25:14 PM

Majority will agree, mining btc directly is not worth it unless you have some serious hardware money.

Most are buying or setting up a alt rig to change back to bitcoin. Although this is going on, most companies are aware of this, so they are bumping down the prices on the hardware.

Keep in mind too, that depending on what mining pool you choose, that while you mine bitcoin you can also mine name coin at bitminter which can be changed back to bitcoin as well too.

martio (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 03:53:59 PM

Thanks. Will see if my better half knows how to set one up. Aside from mining we were thinking of what is essentially speculating, and investing in an altcoin, specifically Quark. Not too sure, we'll have to think it over. 
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 03:59:02 PM

If you have limited hashpower, then mine some altcoins. Else, go for BTC.
softron

Activity: 210

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 09:18:04 AM

U cant mine bitcoin with 300mhz maybe u can a low difficulty sha256 alt to mine.

Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 11:38:08 AM

Thanks. Will see if my better half knows how to set one up. Aside from mining we were thinking of what is essentially speculating, and investing in an altcoin, specifically Quark. Not too sure, we'll have to think it over. 

Well quark was seen by many in the community as a pump and dump scheme, and it's rewards now are very low. On the machines you've got, you might like to try mining primecoin or one of the other coins on ypool.net which has guides and instructions for set up. Those can be mined on CPUs, anything better than a Pentium 4 does well.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
Onews1990

Activity: 362

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 01:50:16 PM

For mining? I would have to say alt-coins , Bitcoin mining is so saturated that you need an amazing a high-GB count miner to get anything out of it and if you want to seriously mine you need TB units.
fatguyyyyy

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

Bitcoin Mixer: https://BitLaunder.com

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 09:06:36 PM

The current of entry is alt rigs, and most people who bought the cointerras 1ths been over paying and are now noticing under performance.

Or they just are aware that the difficulty keeps climbing to even break even in dollar value as well.

Most are already taking it as a loss.

Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 11:16:12 PM

Mining only for fun now, because for money you must take it in very professional way. Big funds, big facility, cheap electricity
galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 11:25:20 PM

For mining and learning about crypto in general the alt coins can be fun.  However, almost all of them are pump and dump so for some chance of value, your best bet is bitcoin.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 03:17:13 AM

However, almost all of them are pump and dump so for some chance of value, your best bet is bitcoin.

I had bought a few hundred TRC four months ago, when they were going at 0.0001 BTC. They went up to 0.005 BTC. So if you are lucky, you'll hit the jackpot.
Relnarien

Activity: 399
Merit: 257

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 03:47:31 AM

Hi folks, will keep it short and sweet. Would something like this be any use for Bitcoin mining http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-Newest-USB-BTC-Miner-300H-S-Bitcoin-Mine-Machine-Bitcoin-Mining-Asicminer-For-Bitcoin-Mining/1662618230.html It a USB thingie, not sure that it would be any good at all tbh. And what do people think of Quarkcoin? Looks interesting having really only discovered Bitcoin and Altcoin yesterday. For a beginner I kind of think an altcoin like Quark might more more sense for me, no expensive equipment or cloud contracts etc, mine from your CPU. Low price to buy if you want to buy. Btw, are Coinmkt ok to deal with? Is there any other exchange where you can trade US$ directly for Altcoin, Quark for example? Thanks.   

An Antminer U2 costs around the same, but can provide over 2 Gh/s. Anyway, I wouldn't really recommend Bitcoin mining for newcomers to crypto. Get your feet wet with mining altcoins first. Quark is indeed a good coin to mine if you're still learning how mining works. There are only a few miners left still hashing for Quark so you're guaranteed to get at least a couple of coins while you're trying to figure out the basics. Quark's subsidy has dropped down to the minimum of 1 coin per block though, so you would still be getting much less than if you mined for another coin. You could also try mining Litecoin or Dogecoin for a while just to test your GPU's capabilities.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: