Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 11:47:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is bitcoin an investment or is a currency ?  (Read 1476 times)
zolace (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:10:33 PM

I want to know how people see bitcoin,you bought it as an investment or you bought it so you can using to buy stuff/services?
IRS says that bitcoin is an property/investment,and they are wright in a way,because most people who have bitcoins they just keep it to see what happens with the value,mostly sell it if it has a high value or buy more if it has a low value.Bitcoin wasn\t made to be an investment,bitcoin is a currency, and as any currency it must flow,we  have to start using as we use the dollar,to buy products,services.
Why to pay my dinner in a restaurant with dollar when i can pay it with bitcoins!

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
blacksails

Activity: 294

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:12:27 PM

It depends on why you bought it and if you use it to pay for stuff.
crocko

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

'All that glitters is not gold'

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:15:41 PM

maybe you want to see this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvqkQvOWgeo

Find my posts helpful? Click my Trust link and rep me!
BTC: 1MqUxoDQE8Q88sDvoaLMbBJSMToSfPgKSy  DOGE: D61Na9wjuneAn9GFLRNrHgWHHFwVfd1T7y  LTC: 3Luo136zrqkCi53jT72FEY52GbwW1ZYi6X
blacksails

Activity: 294

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:20:29 PM

maybe you want to see this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvqkQvOWgeo
What does it have to do with his post?
alfabitcoin

Activity: 476

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:20:50 PM

I want to know how people see bitcoin,you bought it as an investment or you bought it so you can using to buy stuff/services?
IRS says that bitcoin is an property/investment,and they are wright in a way,because most people who have bitcoins they just keep it to see what happens with the value,mostly sell it if it has a high value or buy more if it has a low value.Bitcoin wasn\t made to be an investment,bitcoin is a currency, and as any currency it must flow,we  have to start using as we use the dollar,to buy products,services.
Why to pay my dinner in a restaurant with dollar when i can pay it with bitcoins!

That is a good question. Imo its currency meant to pay for goods and services. Its not a comodity, there is no uses of bitcoin as other convencianal comodity.
All this " investment idea" came after huge price increase after bitcoin become known to the world and price rose lead to pump price up. Imo, bitcoin should be used primary as currency and eventual profit from positive price change should be something aside and to be speculative nature and not taxed.
precrime3

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

PM for journalist,typing,and data entry services.

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 04:22:09 PM

Its designed to be a currency, but with it being new and the state of it (deflationary making it harder to mine and no way to make more as time progresses) I think that it will go up, so some people may consider it an investment. Its really just a mix of a currency, investment, and a commodity.

zolace (OP)

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:26:04 PM

I am just trying to say that if we use bitcoin in stand of any other currency to buy stuff/products/food/services;restaurants,stores,company etc will kinda be forced to adopt bitcoin.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
mintodev

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:26:55 PM

It is multipurpose Smiley. It can be investment and also for buying services/goods/other stuff.
precrime3

Activity: 84

PM for journalist,typing,and data entry services.

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 04:27:11 PM

I am just trying to say that if we use bitcoin in stand of any other currency to buy stuff/products/food/services;restaurants,stores,company etc will kinda be forced to adopt bitcoin.

Well yeah. Like how in an election, if people write in a person they "will kinda" be forced to adopt that said person. The trouble is getting enough people to do it.

lynn_402

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:30:57 PM

It's versatile and works equally well for both Smiley
Just like gold used to, before it became irrelevant to the digital age.
ryanmnercer

Activity: 70

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 04:37:36 PM

Yes.

Buy peptides with BTC
alfabitcoin

Activity: 476

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:43:03 PM

It's versatile and works equally well for both Smiley
Just like gold used to, before it became irrelevant to the digital age.
There is a big difference between gold and digital currency. Gold is used by industry and in wide variaty of products. It will always have a value. Digital currency do not have any use as ordinary comodity and it will worth depended on people interess and what they are willing to pay for.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:49:51 PM

If your optics are limited to this false dilemma, then it's your choice which to believe. Most people choose an argument from authority to decide for them. Or you can choose to accept the new paradigm.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:50:19 PM

For me, it is both.

At least during the initial phase, the Bitcoin will be used more as an investment. And don't get me wrong. People even stockpile bundles of USD or EUR, hoping that their exchange rate will improve in the near future. Same with BTC.

As time progresses, the use as a currency will gain momentum.
Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:52:15 PM

the 42% quantum hash 50% attack is real folks (and it's happenining   Grin)

i am here.
seafarer124

Activity: 302

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:52:39 PM

Who cares what it is, as long as it has the desired effect.
lynn_402

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:54:48 PM

the 42% quantum hash 50% attack is real folks (and it's happenining   Grin)
You're delusional. The recent spike in hashpower is from the release of the Antminer S2 in China, and all the other clones that are produced there at the moment.

For me, it is both.

At least during the initial phase, the Bitcoin will be used more as an investment. And don't get me wrong. People even stockpile bundles of USD or EUR, hoping that their exchange rate will improve in the near future. Same with BTC.

As time progresses, the use as a currency will gain momentum.

That seems quite silly, considering inflation. Hopefully a good number of them will see Bitcoin's potential Smiley
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 05:46:59 PM

Bitcoin is a currency.
If you do not agree, perhaps you are allowing the Gov to create your reality.
Bitcoin is an investment if you want it to be.

jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 06:05:35 PM
Last edit: April 02, 2014, 06:24:07 PM by jbrnt

It is both.

Bitcoin by definition is a currency. You can use it for payment of goods and services. However, it is not sovereign currency because it is not a currency of any nation. It is obviously also an investment, people speculate on its value and expects return form it.

jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 06:27:28 PM

If you bought bitcoin yesterday night to buy somehting today once you wake up, you already lost 15% of purchase power. That's not a currency.

Loosing purchasing power does not prove it is not a currency. What you described happens to global currencies all the time, through inflation and devaluation.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: