Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:52:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitPak - The Bitcoin Wallet for iOS  (Read 8622 times)
trentreznor321

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 02:59:49 AM

Just a heads up for anyone using this app, the wallet.dat file in NOT encrypted in dropbox. It can be copied into another client to access your coins. This can be good, or bad. If you lose your phone, you can still access your coins. If someone else has access to your dropbox folder, they can copy your wallet.dat file into there own client and steal you coins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2012, 12:22:19 AM

Just a heads up for anyone using this app, the wallet.dat file in NOT encrypted in dropbox. It can be copied into another client to access your coins. This can be good, or bad. If you lose your phone, you can still access your coins. If someone else has access to your dropbox folder, they can copy your wallet.dat file into there own client and steal you coins.

That's really too bad.  Especially since dropbox has messed up before...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20072755-281/dropbox-confirms-security-glitch-no-password-required/

BR0KK

Activity: 784

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 06:05:47 PM

The download of the chain took almost a week (ok i only have 4k internet here....) i transfered 3 bitcoin to it and they are not showing up, since a week....

Im curious why this is so damn slow ......

Left the phone open all night for almost three weeks now, with the app in foreground. I'll try it at home with my 16k internet today.

Turbor
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

BitMinter

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2012, 07:52:16 PM

The download of the chain took almost a week (ok i only have 4k internet here....) i transfered 3 bitcoin to it and they are not showing up, since a week....

Left the phone open all night for almost three weeks now, with the app in foreground. I'll try it at home with my 16k internet today.

Waste of money and time imo (voll der Dreck) Sad There is just no usefull BTC wallet app for iOS. But if you want a nice Bitcoin app with active support, get BTCmon !

BR0KK

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 08:28:05 PM

There is some called Blockchain in the cydia appstore. I'll try this if my BTC "Appear" in BITPAK.....

All u needs is a Jailbroken iPhone; wich i have.... This leaves the concern of "Security" open?

R-

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Pasta

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2012, 10:37:16 PM

Would you consider sending some of us release coupons for this App? Im afraid my last iTunes bill is made my bank account shriek in pain.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 09:48:39 PM

Waste of money and time imo (voll der Dreck) Sad There is just no usefull BTC wallet app for iOS. But if you want a nice Bitcoin app with active support, get BTCmon !

voll der dreck, indeed.

there's a acceptable solution, the blockchain.info client: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=75673.0
it's still buggy on my iPod, but seems to work for most people. Good design and acceptable security.

you need jailbreak or korean iTunes account (one is provided in thread or on page, dont remember which)

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2012, 10:37:53 PM

voll der dreck, indeed.

there's a acceptable solution, the blockchain.info client: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=75673.0
it's still buggy on my iPod, but seems to work for most people. Good design and acceptable security.

you need jailbreak or korean iTunes account (one is provided in thread or on page, dont remember which)

You can also use the website directly on your phone.  I have the jailbroken app installed on my old phone and just browse to blockchain.info on my current phone.  It doesn't have as good of a theme, but seems to actually be a little faster and more stable (although the iphone app seems to be getting better and better every patch)

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 01:18:20 PM

voll der dreck, indeed.

You can also use the website directly on your phone.  I have the jailbroken app installed on my old phone and just browse to blockchain.info on my current phone.  It doesn't have as good of a theme, but seems to actually be a little faster and more stable (although the iphone app seems to be getting better and better every patch)

question is: can you scan a qr-code to send someone money on the go this way?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2012, 06:24:58 PM

voll der dreck, indeed.

No, but there are plenty of free qr reader apps available that allow you to easily copy/paste scanned text.

It isn't quiet convenient, but you don't have to have a jail broken phone or add a Korean app store account to your phone.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 07:37:23 PM

No, but there are plenty of free qr reader apps available that allow you to easily copy/paste scanned text.

It isn't quiet convenient, but you don't have to have a jail broken phone or add a Korean app store account to your phone.

well, personally, I'll just use my android. But for recommending bitcoin to noobs with an iDevice copy/paste is too much to explain.

julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 13, 2012, 02:00:07 AM

well, personally, I'll just use my android. But for recommending bitcoin to noobs with an iDevice copy/paste is too much to explain.

Yeah.. not having a decent iPhone app is a showstopper for that platform I think.
I've managed to convince my mother to go Android when it comes time to replace her iPhone.
Attempting to teach her to copy and paste addresses would be a waste of time, because even though she may follow my initial tutorial..  anything that tedious would never get used again.
When it comes to the point that I can transfer some bitcoins to my mother's phone - and then she can successfully transact with her friends without me being present to explain things.. then bitcoin might have a chance to grow via mobile. 
Apple's reluctance to allow virtual currency apps is the major impediment to this.  Screw em. I used to be pretty ambivalent when people asked my advice about iPhone vs Android.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 14, 2012, 06:51:12 AM

Yeah.. not having a decent iPhone app is a showstopper for that platform I think.
I've managed to convince my mother to go Android when it comes time to replace her iPhone.
Attempting to teach her to copy and paste addresses would be a waste of time, because even though she may follow my initial tutorial..  anything that tedious would never get used again.
When it comes to the point that I can transfer some bitcoins to my mother's phone - and then she can successfully transact with her friends without me being present to explain things.. then bitcoin might have a chance to grow via mobile. 
Apple's reluctance to allow virtual currency apps is the major impediment to this.  Screw em. I used to be pretty ambivalent when people asked my advice about iPhone vs Android.

I've given up on recommending free/open alternatives to people.

I just wait for the point in time when I can finally say: "Well, you should've gotten a free phone, then".

BR0KK

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 03:15:22 PM

Sending BTC with that app is a pain too.... they don't show up on the account i send them to.....
U do use Blockchain for now. Seems the only working solution for iPhone Sad.

BTW where is the developer ?

kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 03:33:29 PM

Technically it is possible, and I have demonstrated this with my easywallet.org web-based bitcoin wallet. QR code scanning works easily with iPhone and Android. You just need to install specific QR code scanners (free zxing ones). Hopefully more web wallets will implement this in the future.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 07:01:44 PM

Technically it is possible, and I have demonstrated this with my easywallet.org web-based bitcoin wallet. QR code scanning works easily with iPhone and Android. You just need to install specific QR code scanners (free zxing ones). Hopefully more web wallets will implement this in the future.

It's also easily possible to to x with device y, just install kernel u with options v and w enable (be sure to disable z).

I have some iFriends, telling them to install more than one thing per time we meet is prohibitive.

kangasbros

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 10:09:54 AM

It's also easily possible to to x with device y, just install kernel u with options v and w enable (be sure to disable z).

I have some iFriends, telling them to install more than one thing per time we meet is prohibitive.

Well, as I have guided some people to use easywallet.org, the "installation process" usually takes just 1-2 minutes.

- open safari and go to easywallet.org
- add bookmark to home screen
- open safari again, click the app download link
- install the app
- click the easywallet.org app icon, and you are ready to go

I will add more detailed instructions & make this easier in the future.

Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2012, 06:04:03 PM

Well, as I have guided some people to use easywallet.org, the "installation process" usually takes just 1-2 minutes.

- open safari and go to easywallet.org
- add bookmark to home screen
- open safari again, click the app download link
- install the app
- click the easywallet.org app icon, and you are ready to go

I will add more detailed instructions & make this easier in the future.
Blockchain.info's app is native and works amazingly and is now on the app store.  I've been using it on my 4S and been really liking it, plus it is free!

kangasbros

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 12:14:47 PM

Blockchain.info's app is native and works amazingly and is now on the app store.  I've been using it on my 4S and been really liking it, plus it is free!

According to this it is only available for jailbroken devices: https://blockchain.info/wallet/iphone-app (in the real app store there is only limited app without the send/receive functionality)

I will try it out when I have time to jailbreak my iPhone...

randomproof

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 02:14:07 AM

Instead of downloading the whole blockchain could you just query https://blockexplorer.com/q/mytransactions/{address_here} and get the transactions?

Donations to me:   19599Y3PTRF1mNdzVjQzePr67ttMiBG5LS
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: