Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:13:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Huge bitcoin dump on MtGox  (Read 1776 times)
cheat_2_win (OP)

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 03:26:13 AM

Large Bitcoin dump of last couple of months has greatly reduced the price of Bitcoin. Which led many miners to quit mining. But in my opinion, one positive effect of such dumps is the increase in depth of the Bitcoin currency market as a whole. Look at yesterday 20 kBTC dump and it only reduced the price to $3.5 and now the price is back to $3.9 as it was before the dump. Previously, such a large dump would have had huge impact on the price. Also, as speculators and currency traders become used to such large dumps, there has been less and less of panic selling. I cannot guess the motive of the person to dump such a large amount. If it was to trigger panic selling, then it clearly failed to achieve that objective this time. Which in my opinion shows the trust people now have on the resiliency of the bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
warlordluke

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 09:02:21 AM

Large Bitcoin dump of last couple of months has greatly reduced the price of Bitcoin. Which led many miners to quit mining. But in my opinion, one positive effect of such dumps is the increase in depth of the Bitcoin currency market as a whole. Look at yesterday 20 kBTC dump and it only reduced the price to $3.5 and now the price is back to $3.9 as it was before the dump. Previously, such a large dump would have had huge impact on the price. Also, as speculators and currency traders become used to such large dumps, there has been less and less of panic selling. I cannot guess the motive of the person to dump such a large amount. If it was to trigger panic selling, then it clearly failed to achieve that objective this time. Which in my opinion shows the trust people now have on the resiliency of the bitcoin.

Probably this monthly "dump" is the owner of some large exchange or mining pool converting their bitcoin profit into USD so they can spend it.

Most likely
cheat_2_win (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 12:47:34 PM

Probably this monthly "dump" is the owner of some large exchange or mining pool converting their bitcoin profit into USD so they can spend it.

Most likely

May be. But does not have to be. When the price was hovering around $2.00, many people bought large sums of bitcoin. They might be the ones cashing out.
cheat_2_win (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 06:14:39 PM

Most likely

May be. But does not have to be. When the price was hovering around $2.00, many people bought large sums of bitcoin. They might be the ones cashing out.

But there has been a monthly dump of several 10s of thousands consistently every month for a few months now. My guess is it is one of the big mining pool owners, I just don't think anything else would be that regular.

It may be so and we can only guess as to for their motives. Whatever that may be, the end result of creating deeper Bitcoin currency market is good for every one and good for bitcoin. It will finally help establish bitcoin economy. It will also be harder and harder to manipulate the market by dumping even 10s of thousands of bitcoins as more bitcoins are distributed to more and more people.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 06:39:39 PM

Those dumps are from the top seller at silk road  Grin
cheat_2_win (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 11:18:28 PM

It is nice to know silk road is alive and doing well.
altuin

Activity: 42

View Profile
December 24, 2011, 06:08:42 AM

That definietely makes sense
jddebug

Activity: 446
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 02:24:44 AM

Could it be early adopters needing some cash who were able to mine with ease using just their cpu?
Shashi Yakuza

Activity: 17

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 03:43:16 AM

Nothing like giving people what they ask for  Wink
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 12:47:06 PM

Nothing like giving people what they ask for  Wink

Selling dreams is the best business model, no doubt about that Wink
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 01:10:52 PM

Mining pool? Reality check; 216K BTC are mined per month. Even deepbit has "only" 30% of the bitcoin hashing power, with their preposterous 3% fees, that works out to 2K BTC per month, not 20K.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: