Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:06:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Animals Leaving Yellowstone? Earthquakes and Seismic Activity  (Read 2088 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:12:44 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEH58QvFH0w

I personally believe this is a well made fake of a CGI herd of bison. Maybe for some viral marketing campaign for a movie, TV show. The shadows, the way they feel "light" when moving, the red shadow-less pole. But I could be wrong of course.
 Smiley
Still a nice way to put us in perspective reminding us who is really in charge on the very large scale if that thing blows one day.

Number One Climate Changer: Nature itself.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/reports-bison-fleeing-yellowstone-amid-fears-quake-could-trigger-eruption-of-parks-supervolanco/story-fn5fsgyc-1226872993965

Schleicher

Activity: 675
Merit: 513

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 08:45:11 PM

I think this is the original video of the bisons:
http://youtu.be/RiexHmbJlp4

zolace

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 09:25:59 PM

Yellow Stone is suppose to be where the next super volcanoe explodes, according to the latest science news where about to have a supernova explosion near us in the next 50 years.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 09:29:39 PM

I must admit, the bison shadows do not look real. They are a bit too dark for what it seems like a gloomy day. The trees do not have shades under them and yet those bisons have dark shadows. At one point, a bison was very close to a yellow pole on the left, the yellow pole did not cast a shadow and yet the bison did.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3098

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 09:35:00 PM

I find it hard to believe that a bison would be able to detect earthquakes in advance.

We know of the two types of waves that an earthquake is made of - and they both are sent out as the earthquake happens.  There is nothing that we know of that happens in advance of an earthquake that could be detected.

Besides, how would such a odd sense evolve? 

https://nastyscam.com - featuring 13 years of OGNasty bitcoin scams     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming sooner than you think!
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 09:37:22 PM

If it is not CGI is this normal behavior? I remember reading about how animals were panicking before the tsunami in 2005.

Maybe it is nothing special.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 09:48:40 PM

I find it hard to believe that a bison would be able to detect earthquakes in advance.

We know of the two types of waves that an earthquake is made of - and they both are sent out as the earthquake happens.  There is nothing that we know of that happens in advance of an earthquake that could be detected.

I don't know about the bison but people have been trying to prove if that was true or not for a long time

http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2014/02/seismology

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 10:04:58 PM

Quantum Control and Entanglement in a Chemical Compass

ABSTRACT
The radical-pair mechanism is one of the two main hypotheses to explain the navigability of animals in weak magnetic fields, enabling, e.g., birds to see Earth’s magnetic field. It also plays an essential role in spin chemistry. Here, we show how quantum control can be used to either enhance or reduce the performance of such a chemical compass, providing a new route to further study the radical-pair mechanism and its applications. We study the role of radical-pair entanglement in this mechanism, and demonstrate its intriguing connections with the magnetic-field sensitivity of the compass. Beyond their immediate application to the radical-pair mechanism, these results also demonstrate how state-of-the-art quantum technologies could potentially be used to probe and control biological functions.

http://phys.org/news196322276.html

-----------------------------------------------------------
This not about earthquake directly but cool to know.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 11:18:52 AM

From even minor large scale movements of dirt/earth it's totally reasonable to think that air composition will change as huge amounts of gas are released from deep layers, likely mostly co2.  Also, obviously the static charges and the balance of charge between air mass and earth changes.  So now you are looking at vibration, chemical, electrical changes.  It could be as simple as some group of these signals being to the bison a "bad smell".

Actually that's a hypothesis capable of being tested...
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 11:59:39 AM

A few years also, similar incident was reported from the Yellowstone. But no earthquake or any other natural catastrophe followed.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 12:30:05 PM

A few years also, similar incident was reported from the Yellowstone. But no earthquake or any other natural catastrophe followed.

Here is one from 2012.  The behavior of the bison is obviously quite different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_bAAoH0JVQ

and from 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85JhGNtOBwU
zolace

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 02:33:52 PM

I've been to Yellowstone dozens of times, watched Bison running for no apparent reason- on the road or off, tearing up trees and then stopping and playing in one of the many rivers there. Nothing unusual seeing Bison running around.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 02:54:28 PM

I've been to Yellowstone dozens of times, watched Bison running for no apparent reason- on the road or off, tearing up trees and then stopping and playing in one of the many rivers there. Nothing unusual seeing Bison running around.
Aw...come on....

you know....

you just KNOWS, deep inside...

this time it's different!!!
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 05:39:03 PM

From even minor large scale movements of dirt/earth it's totally reasonable to think that air composition will change as huge amounts of gas are released from deep layers, likely mostly co2.  Also, obviously the static charges and the balance of charge between air mass and earth changes.  So now you are looking at vibration, chemical, electrical changes.  It could be as simple as some group of these signals being to the bison a "bad smell".

Actually that's a hypothesis capable of being tested...

You would need a hell of a budget to scale this test... Make sure you use the word "green", "climate change", "for the children" when asking for this multi million dollar grant while staying at the nearest 5 star motel
ibminer
Legendary

Activity: 1836
Merit: 2830

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 06:11:16 PM

Interesting. Seems like a difference in behavior between the 2011, 2012, and 2014 bisons.

The problem appears to be that the bison are running towards the park & caldera... but maybe they are just done with bison life and are committing bison suicide  Grin

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 06:13:41 PM

Interesting. Seems like a difference in behavior between the 2011, 2012, and 2014 bisons.

The problem appears to be that the bison are running towards the park & caldera... but maybe they are just done with bison life and are committing bison suicide  Grin

Super Volcano Grill Party!
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 07:22:36 PM

BitChicksHusband had a basset hound when he was young that could predict earthquakes.  The dog would make really strange noises right before one hit.  Don't underestimate the ability of animals to predict things we can't.  Who knows, the Bison might be smarter than scientists. Wink

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3098

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 07:35:01 PM

BitChicksHusband had a basset hound when he was young that could predict earthquakes.  The dog would make really strange noises right before one hit.  Don't underestimate the ability of animals to predict things we can't.  Who knows, the Bison might be smarter than scientists. Wink

What your dog would predict is called the "P Wave", which arrives faster than the "S Wave"  that does all the damage.  We can detect these P Waves as well, but we don't have much time between the warning and the shaking.

Man evolved to be the smartest creatures on this planet.  Bison are idiots (i.e. dank) in comparison.

https://nastyscam.com - featuring 13 years of OGNasty bitcoin scams     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming sooner than you think!
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 07:55:30 PM

What your dog would predict is called the "P Wave", which arrives faster than the "S Wave"  that does all the damage.  We can detect these P Waves as well, but we don't have much time between the warning and the shaking.

Man evolved to be the smartest creatures on this planet.  Bison are idiots (i.e. dank) in comparison.

I knew "dank" had to be included somehow in Yellowstone  Smiley
ibminer
Legendary

Activity: 1836
Merit: 2830

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 10:51:42 PM

Bison may be idiots in comparison to Man, but I think your giving Man too much credit here. Clearly, Sasquatch is the smarter creature.  Smiley

BTW - You gotta stop harping on dank, don't let him get into your head   Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: