Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:20:28 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else depressed by all these alts?  (Read 3062 times)
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 05:56:29 AM

I started investing in a few alts but then realized that with each new alt it does not really dilute Bitcoin, it dilutes all alt coins.

The key to a currency is the Network Effect, where a currency reaches critical mass. Once that happens, it competes with established currencies. Bitcoin is on its way to reaching that point. No other alt is even close.

If I had a few extra days to work on it I would create an alt generator to create a new alt every hour. What do you think would happen to the alt coins? They would all be diluted to the point where nobody would ever touch them.

Bitcoin and a million alts does nothing to Bitcoin.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
jesse11

Activity: 333
Merit: 250

Ants Rock

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 06:03:13 AM

Bitcoins go's up altcoins go's up, Bitcoins go down altcoins go's down. Yep, it's all based on BTC  Grin
O one more pic  Grin Just Mine it!

Grin To the Max  Grin BTC

Mining with: BE's,BE Cubes, K16's, AntMiners U1's and AntMiners S1's
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 06:04:18 AM

Every alt that dies strenghtens bitcoin. Give them time.
BBmodBB

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

BTC = FREEDOM IS OUR ONLY HOPE!

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 06:09:12 AM

Bitcoins go's up altcoins go's up, Bitcoins go down altcoins go's down. Yep, it's all based on BTC  Grin
O one more pic  Grin Just Mine it!

Grin To the Max  Grin BTC

^is that nuclear? LOL =)

*BTCitcoin Wales Club*-- message me for details!--///\\\TELEKINETICS///\\can manipulate objects with their mind. Telekinesis is one of the basis of many superpowers that are based on "controlling/manipulating", it may evolve to the point that a Telekinetic can control anything at a subatomic level.
jesse11

Ants Rock

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 06:12:07 AM

YEP  Grin

pandher
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

Stagnation is Death

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 06:19:55 AM

Yes there is one which has a vision - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=552633.0
jesse11

Ants Rock

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 06:25:22 AM

They all have a vision pandher, if your a Miner, Mine BTC   Grin

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 06:26:27 AM

Every day a dozen or more new shitcoins are being created. At this rate, by the end of the year, we'll be having 5,000 different shitcoins.
jesse11

Ants Rock

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 06:28:42 AM

Hey bryant.coleman, I'll stick to BTC  Grin  You Too?  Grin

freequant

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 06:29:53 AM

So many add so little except confusing crap for new players in the crypto world. Do we really need the 500 scrypt coins? Litecoin was enough. Bitcoin was enough! Im just interested to see what others think and to try and find a alt that isnt just a load of crap/scam/copy! We dont need more get-rich-quick schemes!

So. Do you know a decent alt?
or do you think Bitcoin was enough?

Im kinda depressed by all this new business, overwhelmed my attempts at investing! Its so hard to find anything decent!
It really depends what you are looking for.

If by "alt" you are referring to direct Bitcoin derivatives as is usually the case, you just need to read the whitepapers of the newly released alt-coins and decide for yourself which one makes significant changes that really bring something new. Obvious answers on technical grounds are NMC, LTC, PPC and XPM, but I may be missing some more recent developments. You can also keep a tab on new projects from former innovative coin creators like Sunnyking, the chances that their next coin will be up to their reputation are good.
If on the other hand, what you are referring to by "alt" is completly new designs that really depart from Bitcoin and are disruptive in their own way, then NXT, Mastercoin, Ripple and Ethereum is what you really want to look into. These are long haul projects and may not be immediately profitable as investments in the short term, but their impact will be dramatic when/if they finally make it into the main stream. To be exact, these aren't really "alt" coins but rather second generation crypto-currencies.

So to make a long story short, from an investor's perspective:
- if you are seeking immediate profits go for any pump & dump provided that it has enough hype, mine it first, and dump it within the first minutes where it becomes exchange traded
- if you are seeking short term profits identify innovative Bitcoin clones from respectable developers and wait for their value to increase as they are making it to leading exchanges and start being listed as possible contenders by technology and finance magazines.
- if you are seeking long term profits get involved with second generation currencies. This requires a leap of faith and you will probably not get any return on investment before years, but remember that this was the also the case for early bitcoiners.
BBmodBB

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 06:36:06 AM

YEP  Grin

~flux capacitor n chit! =)

*BTCitcoin Wales Club*-- message me for details!--///\\\TELEKINETICS///\\can manipulate objects with their mind. Telekinesis is one of the basis of many superpowers that are based on "controlling/manipulating", it may evolve to the point that a Telekinetic can control anything at a subatomic level.
jesse11

Ants Rock

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 06:40:24 AM

Got to have the right PSU  Grin

YEAH!

sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 06:40:41 AM

Merge mined coins with utility may survive
jesse11

Ants Rock

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 06:43:19 AM

Merge mined coins with utility may survive
OK, Cool  Grin is it like this?

LOL  Grin

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 07:05:37 AM

I have some LTCs and NMCs with me. But 98% of my crypto assets are in BTC.
softron

Activity: 210

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 07:06:55 AM

It used to be easy to decide which alt to invest in now it just too much. Just follow a coin with active devs  

jesse11

Ants Rock

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 07:10:13 AM

I have some LTCs and NMCs with me. But 98% of my crypto assets are in BTC.

Yeah, Namecoins Rock  Grin

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 07:16:54 AM

Anyone who truly believes in the free market, believes in currency competition would have no problem with altcoins, I'm not surprised there are this many people going nuts and making shit considering how long we've been under the thumb of central banks. I have the same opinion as Ron Paul on this, so long as there's no fraud involved, why do we care? The bad coins will eventually be weeded out and some outright copies have already died off so I don't see what the big deal is.

If Bitcoin hadn't been made open source, it would have been an abysmal failure.
jesse11

Ants Rock

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 07:22:09 AM

Anyone who truly believes in the free market, believes in currency competition would have no problem with altcoins, I'm not surprised there are this many people going nuts and making shit considering how long we've been under the thumb of central banks. I have the same opinion as Ron Paul on this, so long as there's no fraud involved, why do we care? The bad coins will eventually be weeded out and some outright copies have already died off so I don't see what the big deal is.

Very True Lethn, Ya got to love BTC  Grin YEAH!

BBmodBB

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 07:24:31 AM

RPC woot woot! Wink

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: