Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 10:55:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin and PayPal. Is it ok to sell on PayPal now?  (Read 2079 times)
UnNamedCoin (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 12:57:54 AM

If Bitcoin is now classed as a commodity, does that mean it is now not against PayPal's TOS to sell Bitcoin through PayPal?
I have sent them a question to that regard and yet to hear from them. So perhaps someone here may have that answer?
twiifm

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 01:04:57 AM

You mean eBay?  I thought Paypal is a payment service
UnNamedCoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 01:10:11 AM

Thats right.. Paypal is a payment service and can be used to buy Bitcoin
skooter

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 01:19:04 AM

Yeah, let me know if you're going to sell bitcoin with paypal.

I'll buy everything you got at $1000 / coin.

I promise there won't be any chargebacks.  Roll Eyes
UnNamedCoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 01:21:26 AM

Well if it turns out that selling Bitcoin is not against the TOS, you may well not be able to do a chargeback, as the transaction would be on the Blockchain as proof that a commodity was sold.
skooter

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 01:25:26 AM

Well if it turns out that selling Bitcoin is not against the TOS, you may well not be able to do a chargeback, as the transaction would be on the Blockchain as proof that a commodity was sold.

Because you know, nobody ever uses a stolen paypal account/credit card on the internet.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 01:47:15 AM

No it is still a horrible idea.
Accept PayPal and you will lose money and probably lose your account.

skooter

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 01:56:44 AM

No it is still a horrible idea.
Accept PayPal and you will lose money and probably lose your account.

Yeah.. basically if you take paypal from someone for bitcoin, you should also be willing to send them bitcoin up front while they mail you a check for it.

You need THAT level of trust to accept paypal for bitcoin.
UnNamedCoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 02:05:48 AM

Im not arguing on the problems with PayPal.

Its more of a reference to the USA announcing that Bitcoin is a commodity. If so then is it against PayPals TOS.
Does it also open the doors with ebay as well?

Another thing to note is that when the US classed Bitcoin as a commodity, Ross Ulbricht may also escape his money laundering accusation, as the law does not claim bitcoin as a currency. Perhaps he will be charged with commodity laundering.

shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 02:10:33 AM

As long as PayPal payments are reversible it will be very risky to sell BTC for PayPal.  There are better options.

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
twiifm

Activity: 784

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 02:15:13 AM

Another thing to note is that when the US classed Bitcoin as a commodity, Ross Ulbricht may also escape his money laundering accusation, as the law does not claim bitcoin as a currency. Perhaps he will be charged with commodity laundering.

Did he launder USD or BTC?  If he used BTC to launder USD then it's still money laundering.

I don't know anything about PayPals TOS or Ebays for that matter.  But as private companies they can do set whatever terms suits them as long as the terms don't conflict w standing trade laws.

Waramp22

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 02:34:24 AM

eBay/Paypal both hate BTC as it is competition for their business. If there is any dispute on your transaction the customer service rep will do his best to ass fuck you the second he hears bitcoin, litecoin, miner, ASIC etc. Find or become a reputable seller and look at other payment options. Transferwise sounded pretty slick providing you have a trusted seller with good reviews. 

Scammed by Black Arrow? See the consumer complaint thread here -
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=681965.0
Equate

Activity: 770

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 02:35:55 AM

Don't accept paypal for buying and selling of Bitcoins.It will create trouble for you and your account gets locked.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 03:39:02 AM

Even if the buyer is not going to cheat you, Paypal will definitely ban your account and freeze your funds. Forget it. Not worth the risk.
romang

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 04:30:10 AM

I sold a ton of litecoins on ebay but thy where paper wallet ones but the  they stopped me lucky I never got scamed

tins

Activity: 882

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 04:38:57 AM

I sold a ton of litecoins on ebay but thy where paper wallet ones but the  they stopped me lucky I never got scamed

I did the same thing. Except for that scammed part...I got scammed good.  Undecided
evoked22

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 06:25:45 AM

Stay away far far away from PayPal and eBay if you are using cryptos.

They are not even real companies, they are mafia orientated organisation that really really dislike cryptos of all forms.

SnZN5o2ePUgtr9roQyavBC3r41vz7p63ne
go4nature

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 07:17:06 AM

Normally paypal is against all other payment systems. They don't allow to exchange with other payment systems. That is why they started to ban bitcoin users. It is better to avoid paypal in bitcoin transaction.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 07:24:24 AM

Paypal is a private financial company and they can unfortunately in most cases do whatever the fuck they like, much like bank have outright frozen and attacked Bitcoin users despite there not necessarily being any clear laws against Bitcoin use.
magnet007

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 07:48:54 AM

Normally paypal is against all other payment systems. They don't allow to exchange with other payment systems. That is why they started to ban bitcoin users. It is better to avoid paypal in bitcoin transaction.

Really?any such instances  so far?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: