Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:29:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: One Aspect of Bitcoin nobody ever talks about ...  (Read 2539 times)
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 09:51:00 PM

There are plenty of ways to protect the consumer if the consumer doesn't want to protect themselves, and I'm sure they will come to Bitcoin when it makes sense.

Well yeah, there are ways to protect the consumer. One of those tools is escrow.

However, I find it very irresponsible to market bitcoins without any extra layer as a more consumer friendly option to payments. They simply aren't.

Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fellowtraveler

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 11:41:59 PM

There are plenty of ways to protect the consumer if the consumer doesn't want to protect themselves, and I'm sure they will come to Bitcoin when it makes sense.

Well yeah, there are ways to protect the consumer. One of those tools is escrow.

However, I find it very irresponsible to market bitcoins without any extra layer as a more consumer friendly option to payments. They simply aren't.

OT's latest version (with smart contracts) comes with a sample script that does a two-way trade between Alice and Bob. Arbitrated escrow isn't much more -- I'll work up a script tonight and check it into github. (This was on my list for today already, in fact.)  Here's what I'm thinking:

The existing sample script takes X units of currency A from Alice and Y units of currency B from Bob. If both are successful, then it gives Alice's money to Bob, and gives Bob's money to Alice. (They are atomic, success or failure.)

The new contract will introduce a third party: the arbitrator. This will be a real escrow contract, which assumes there is some offline sale happening (ex. You are sending a guitar to someone in another state...) The contract must include the precondition and the postcondition. After the parties have signed the contract and activated it, X funds from Alice will be stashed inside the contract for 30 days, and then automatically transferred to Bob. If, during that 30 day period, Alice decides that Bob has not shipped her the guitar, she can trigger the dispute clause, which sends notices to Bob and the Arbitrator. She must send her evidence when she does this. After this, the funds will remain stashed in the contract for another 7 days, awaiting a Decision from the Arbitrator. If the arbitrator does not respond in X days, then the money goes back to Alice automatically. Otherwise the arbitrator may trigger a clause deciding the matter one way or the other. Some arbitration fee will be listed in the contract, along with any additional fee should Dispute() be triggered. There will also be clauses allowing the arbitrator to query Bob and Alice for additional information. Calling these will add a day or two to the 7 day timeout period.

You will be able to test the contract on your own machine, or use the OT test server to play around with it. If you have any thoughts on the above, please let me know so I can work them into the script.

-FT

co-founder, Monetas
creator, Open-Transactions
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 24, 2011, 04:51:09 AM

The new A+B(or C) transactions will prevent scammers from running away with bitcoins in many cases.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
bc

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 24, 2011, 05:38:03 AM

OT's latest version (with smart contracts) comes with a sample script that does a two-way trade between Alice and Bob. Arbitrated escrow isn't much more -- I'll work up a script tonight and check it into github. (This was on my list for today already, in fact.)  Here's what I'm thinking:

The existing sample script takes X units of currency A from Alice and Y units of currency B from Bob. If both are successful, then it gives Alice's money to Bob, and gives Bob's money to Alice. (They are atomic, success or failure.)

The new contract will introduce a third party: the arbitrator. This will be a real escrow contract, which assumes there is some offline sale happening (ex. You are sending a guitar to someone in another state...) The contract must include the precondition and the postcondition. After the parties have signed the contract and activated it, X funds from Alice will be stashed inside the contract for 30 days, and then automatically transferred to Bob. If, during that 30 day period, Alice decides that Bob has not shipped her the guitar, she can trigger the dispute clause, which sends notices to Bob and the Arbitrator. She must send her evidence when she does this. After this, the funds will remain stashed in the contract for another 7 days, awaiting a Decision from the Arbitrator. If the arbitrator does not respond in X days, then the money goes back to Alice automatically. Otherwise the arbitrator may trigger a clause deciding the matter one way or the other. Some arbitration fee will be listed in the contract, along with any additional fee should Dispute() be triggered. There will also be clauses allowing the arbitrator to query Bob and Alice for additional information. Calling these will add a day or two to the 7 day timeout period.

You will be able to test the contract on your own machine, or use the OT test server to play around with it. If you have any thoughts on the above, please let me know so I can work them into the script.

-FT

This (and the multi-part-keys-so-a-wallet-doesn't-get-hacked stuff) is huge. It's the kind of technology that someone can wrap a business around. The assurances they can provide will calm a large percentage of candidate adopters. AT some point someone's going to come along and package this all up to feel like a credit card - only with built-in discounts.

"Democracy is the original 51% attack." - Erik Voorhees
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: