Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 11:37:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Times 03 Jan 2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks  (Read 1545 times)
BittBurger (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 06:53:04 AM

This is the comment Satoshi Nakamoto wrote on the first ever Bitcoin "transaction".  

https://blockchain.info/tx/4a5e1e4baab89f3a32518a88c31bc87f618f76673e2cc77ab2127b7afdeda33b?show_adv=true

Is it safe to say that this famous quote from this famous newspaper date is the reason Bitcoin was created?

If so, this is a very powerful quote, and should be referenced often.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 07:49:19 AM

-B-

If it's such a good quote, then why isn't it in your signature?

Roll Eyes

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
BittBurger (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 06:39:04 PM

I like my current quote too, though only old bastards like me will understand it.

I guess I am just wondering why people think he chose to write those words.  Obviously he knew it would be a foundational quote.

Do you think Satoshi had a powerful frustration with the bailouts, and everything they represented ... and he poured that passion into the creation of Bitcoin.

Could we say that this quote represents "The very reason Bitcoin was made" ?

If so, it just feels like this quote has immense meaning behind it.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
pening

Activity: 245
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 07:13:41 PM

He was taking a topical and relevant headline of the day.  I'm sure the economical malaise of the time was a strong motivation for Bitcoin, though i doubt it was the whole reason.

What is slightly more interesting, given the recent "discovery" of Satoshi's identity, is this quote is from an UK paper and he's written the date the correct order ( Wink ).  Now there may have been no other relevant newspapers headlines across the world that day, however he's changed the date from "January 3 2009" to the British form.  To me this insists that the author was British.  I know this is no revelation, i've just not look at it that deep before, but if one want to know the identity (or rule out anyone) they have to pass a Brit test.  Grin
Taras
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1053

Please do not PM me loan requests!

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 08:29:04 PM

Putting that statement in the genesis block is also proof that no bitcoins existed before January 3rd, 2009.
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 09:40:10 PM

Putting that statement in the genesis block is also proof that no bitcoins existed before January 3rd, 2009.

Indeed, so he was proving to everybody he didn't premine a ton of coins thus creating scamcoin.
Also fitting headline, banks will probably collapse again in due time
Ragnarly

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 10:32:27 PM

This is the comment Satoshi Nakamoto wrote on the first ever Bitcoin "transaction".  

https://blockchain.info/tx/4a5e1e4baab89f3a32518a88c31bc87f618f76673e2cc77ab2127b7afdeda33b?show_adv=true

Is it safe to say that this famous quote from this famous newspaper date is the reason Bitcoin was created?

-B-

Yes.
Robert Paulson

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 10:41:32 PM

I like my current quote too, though only old bastards like me will understand it.

I guess I am just wondering why people think he chose to write those words.  Obviously he knew it would be a foundational quote.

Do you think Satoshi had a powerful frustration with the bailouts, and everything they represented ... and he poured that passion into the creation of Bitcoin.

Could we say that this quote represents "The very reason Bitcoin was made" ?

If so, it just feels like this quote has immense meaning behind it.

-B-

yes, from satoshi's other quotes it seems to me he held libertarian views e.g

"Yes, (we will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography), but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years. Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own."

http://crypt.la/2014/01/06/satoshi-nakamoto-quotes/

so its most likely that bitcoin was created to destroy the central bankster's current scam system.
for anyone unfamiliar with the full details of the scam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFDe5kUUyT0
Taras
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1053

Please do not PM me loan requests!

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 10:51:52 PM

Indeed, so he was proving to everybody he didn't premine a ton of coins thus creating scamcoin.
Also fitting headline, banks will probably collapse again in due time
Yeah. I don't believe this quote was actually discovered until around 2011, interestingly.
By the way satoshi did premine about 500 BTC. Those bitcoins are totally dwarfed by the bitcoins satoshi mined post-release.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: