Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:29:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: reset google authenticate after lost phone? (I still can access coinbase fully)  (Read 2197 times)
zhangweiwu (OP)

Activity: 313
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 08:16:00 AM
Last edit: April 03, 2014, 08:31:25 AM by zhangweiwu

The typical newbie problem is that you didn't backup Google OTP. That's not my case. I have auhty (an OTP tool) on one phone, and Google Authenticator on another. Both can be used to login coinbase and use any services / functions they offer. The two phones are in two different cities, losing them together is unlikely, hence I consider myself backed-up - not a totally ignorant newbie.

And I lost the one with Google Authenticator. I have full access to coinbase and use every feature they offer, including password reset. The only thing I cannot do, is to reset Google Authenticator. I was surprised, because I thought I can reset one OTP with another.

coinbase says they cannot do anything on their end: http://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/1468758-can-t-reset-google-authenticator this hints that Google has the control.

So if coinbase can do nothing to reset Google authenticator, even if I have full access to my account, then who can? It is damn difficult to search for a solution on Google, because all search results point to 'how to reset google authenticator so that you can login to your Google Accout' - I don't have that problem at all, because I use Google Apps and the admin disabled 2-factor authentication for the whole domain.

Best.

P.S. Even worse: iOS offers me to upgrade authy, and after upgrade it says "Health Check Failed: please re-install authy app. Before you delete the authy app, enable your authenticator backups and verify the upload status of all tokens to prevent losing them". And 15 minutes google search did not reveal how to "enable your authenticator backups". I still can access every coinbase feature with SMS authentication. This is a seperate problem than the one I am asking, though.

My (old) column about Bitcoin & China: http://bitcoinblog.de/tag/zhangweiwuengl/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: