Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 02:38:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC Call to Arms  (Read 987 times)
SquareR (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 09:05:21 PM

As we are all aware the MtGox fiasco combined with the blown out of proportion Chinese uncertainty (partially due to fake press releases designed to drive the price down), the media is having a hay day putting their negative spin on every detail no matter how small.

Generating fear and uncertainty resulting in panic selling, remember no news is good news.

While this is going on, the majority (not all) BTC coiners sit on forms, theorize, graph (I do graph by the way), discuss and complain about the plummet in price or the burst bubble.

I have been thinking for some time now about this and have come to the following conclusion;

Yes the press has power, yes the press can with this power cause fear and uncertainty, resulting in the price being driven down.

I put this to you, we worldwide as BTC coiners have power as well and are not using it, we have people that are intelligent, articulate, technically inclined and money savvy, why is it that we stand by idly and allow the media to dictate our fate our money.

We all have access to social media, blogs, hmmm even forums...

Why not make this as a call to arms if we band together as a group, each of us taking a few minutes every day to post a positive, success stories and accurate information, we as a collective can neutralize, maybe heaven forbid, even overpower the negativity of the media.

So let's all, me included get off our collective assets, put our fates in our own hands and turn this trend around crypto-currency is here to stay and is the future. HODL!
iraszl

Activity: 266
Merit: 257

Enthusiast

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 09:12:43 PM

Good idea. We should focus on positives anyway in life.

Here is my post: http://bitcoinowl.com/hodl

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4242
Merit: 4507

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 09:18:13 PM

Why not make this as a call to arms if we band together as a group, each of us taking a few minutes every day to post a positive, success stories and accurate information, we as a collective can neutralize, maybe heaven forbid, even overpower the negativity of the media.
1. media don't do "happy news"
2. i do love the call to arms about correcting their FUD though. i have done this a few times in the UK media, and to anyone else half interested. it is not hard or scary. its simply writing a email or tweet, stating the facts and THEIR discrepancies. so if you feel they are wrong, not based on opinion. but on factual evidence. then please do inform them.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 09:21:20 PM

Nice idea......painfully weak ending.
You want to tell the whole world we are lemmings who mindlessly say HODL?
You are expecting that to actually help?   Cheesy

amspir

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 10:10:47 PM

I think the best way forward is to SPEND rather than SELL or HOLD.   There's no value to bitcoin if it isn't being used like money.
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 10:20:19 PM

mmm.

The best response to the FUD, IMO, is fixing things. 

The concerns that people have are real -- mostly centering around our pathetic failures to protect ourselves from fraudsters, thieves, and broken exchanges.  We just got ripped off for a whole lot of value by a half-dozen enormous frauds, starting with Mt.Gox.  If we can't fix it so that won't happen any more, they don't wanna be us.

So, we need support for contracts.  We need support for proving that exchanges actually have all the coins they're promising to have at any given moment.

We have a global open ledger.  We need to fix it so we can use that to eliminate fraud.  THAT is when we will have a good answer to the people who don't wanna be us because we are vulnerable to fraud.

amspir

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 10:27:39 PM

mmm.
So, we need support for contracts.  We need support for proving that exchanges actually have all the coins they're promising to have at any given moment.

We have a global open ledger.  We need to fix it so we can use that to eliminate fraud.  THAT is when we will have a good answer to the people who don't wanna be us because we are vulnerable to fraud.

There are systems for that can be put on top of bitcoin, bitcoin denominated debit card transactions, checks, etc.   Bitcoin in it's rawest form is like cash.  You can't change the inherent properties of a currency to prevent fraud, i.e. you can't change the design of a $100 bill to prevent it from being stolen from you.

cozk

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 12:45:43 AM

Oh boy... you lost me there :

Most importantly ask yourself: Are you only interested in the monetary gains or do you care about what the good things Bitcoin technology's wide adoption can bring about?

All public goods are produced through self-interested labour.

SELF-INTEREST.

I personnally don't give a shit about the greater good of bitcoin if it involves me losing money.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 03:20:46 AM

Try you luck. Do some short selling.  Grin
googlemaster1

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 03:39:01 AM

Sounds like somebody who bought in before capitulation and then thinks that BTC is going to die unless we "save" it.  Traders are going to do what they are going to do.  The reality is they are going to trade on news, fundamentals, momentum and whatever other analytical means they thing is necessary.

They don't care about bitcoin from a humanitarian standpoint.  They are there to make money.  They may know and believe that crypto is not going anywhere.  As a long term investor and trader, that might help you with feeling out psychological bottoms, whereas there are a few traders that think this could go to 0 at any minute (those guys usually don't try and stick their nose out to catch the floor though) whereas the informed know that it would take a HEELUVALOT for that to happen. 

I'm not a pro trader or anything, and I trade with VERY LITTLE of my overall BTC, but most of my trades are sound.  I usually sleep in Crypto though, because my goal is to acquire more bitcoin and learn a little bit, regardless of $/BTC rate.

BTC: 15565dcUp4LEWe6KYT7tawMHFRL4cBbFGN
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 03:43:24 AM

If you want us to outweigh the effects of the media then we need to be writing articles in the same publications.

Perianne did just that with this outstanding piece this week, on Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/perianneboring/2014/04/02/bitcoin-could-strengthen-the-world-economy-if-washington-doesnt-destroy-it/

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Equate

Activity: 770

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 03:52:54 AM

If you want us to outweigh the effects of the media then we need to be writing articles in the same publications.

Perianne did just that with this outstanding piece this week, on Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/perianneboring/2014/04/02/bitcoin-could-strengthen-the-world-economy-if-washington-doesnt-destroy-it/

-B-

Thats the article to look in.
semaforo

Activity: 728

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 03:55:18 AM

Yeah, I think its a good idea... I have been impressed about some of the comments on articles critical of bitcoin that really effectively destroyed their weak arguments. It might well be a good idea to get on the sites and start throwing out some comments to show bitcoin/bitcoin community resilience.
seafarer124

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 08:15:46 AM

I think the best way forward is to SPEND rather than SELL or HOLD.   There's no value to bitcoin if it isn't being used like money.

I agree the best thing for BTC is to spend.

Unfortunately, most will hold if the price is less than they originally paid.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: