Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 07:19:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fear and Trembling in Non-Techlandia -"Running" The Wallet  (Read 678 times)
dglenn (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 10:53:46 PM

Hi All,

I have applied and been accepted at Devtome as a writer/developer, so I'm pretty excited. Bitcointalk.org seems like a wonderful forum.

I'm trying to accomplish the simplest of tasks: I have the prehistoric Windows XP and have downloaded the devcoin setup exe Windows32 file/application.  Now the icon resides in my toolbar.

Unfortunately, I have shamefully little technical acumen. 

I have opened the icon/application and created (encrypted) a passphrase (somewhere, after I already did it, I read this step should have come after some other step I have not yet taken.  So there's that already). 

Now my understanding is to that my task is to "run" the wallet so that it can retrieve or build data related to previous rounds and so on.  I also understand this could take hours or days.

So the question for me is: how do I run the app?

The devcoin desktop app has three tabs as you know, File Settings and Help.

In Settings are the following:

*Your Receiving Address
*Change Wallet Encryption Passphrase
*Options

Is the key to "running" the wallet in the "Options" tab?  Do I select "Connection through socket4 proxy" under this tab (something tells me, No)?

I see no activity of any sort in the app or any indication of values, compilation processes, how to initiate processes, etc.

I looked at the program files folder, and there's the devcoind program (for mining, is my understanding) and the devoin exe, which has already been extracted to the toolbar.  Nothing else in there.

Though I feel like an idiot, I don't think I am (not completely, anyway); just very few tech skills.  I was an English major!  I can tell you what a retained object is!  Ha ha.

Can someone please extend me mercy and, if my guess above is not correct, briefly give me an idiot's step-by-step with as little crypto-lexicon as possible?  Really, if you are kind enough to list the steps, explain it to me as if I were a 5 year old. 

I would be forever grateful.  I've doing my due diligence, poring through all kinds of forums for info on how to run the wallet at this stage and just can't seem to pinpoint it. 

Many, many thanks.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 08:23:17 AM

Step 1: get rid of Windows XP. Still using it is sheer madness.
Post again if you have an OS that is still supported.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: