Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 06:19:36 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Demographics of Bitcoin early adopters?  (Read 1035 times)
300 (OP)

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 12:33:18 AM
Last edit: April 04, 2014, 12:43:46 AM by 300

Does anyone know anything about the demographics of Bitcoin early adopters?

If Bitcoin does become as big as some people here believe, then these people will find themselves sitting on lots of money. If even one of them has a special talent, then this could change the world. I am interested in the lifestyles that these early adopters had before they found Bitcoin, their pre-Bitcoin wealth, their age, what their hobbies are, their professions, etc. because all of these things would impact on how they would spend their newfound wealth.

For example, if even a small percentage of Bitcoin early adopters happened to be knowledgeable about biochemistry, then we might witness an explosion in new cancer treatments and cures for various diseases in the future. More so if they are young, less so if they are old. If some happened to be knowledgeable in physics, then we might witness an explosion in alternative energy, more efficient solar panels, fusion power, etc. If many were libertarians then that could change the political landscape of the world in the next couple of decades. Transhumanists would bring the date of the Singularity closer, and computer geeks might might encourage game development, online startups, new advances in computer science, etc.
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 02:22:07 AM

Two peaks me thinks, near college age gamers, and gen X silverback alpha geeks.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 03:07:05 AM

Right now, 99% of the Bitcoiners are straight. 95% of them are white and 96% of them are male.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-03-10/demographics-bitcoin
sprot

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 07:03:50 AM

Nice thought. But excluding the developers and crypto types, the people messing around with bitcoin in the early days are what you might call "the dregs of society". Drug addicts, gamblers, flim flam artists and smooth talking con men. White collar criminals, some just regular criminals. Latchkey derelict minecraft kids with no dads, and slutty moms.

And worst of all, the libertarians.

These are the people that we have entrusted with the future of our society. Every time you buy a bitcoin, you're driving another nail into the coffin of the human race. But fuck it, we're doomed anyway.
Beef Supreme

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Put your trust in MATH.

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 11:40:41 AM

Right now, 99% of the Bitcoiners are straight. 95% of them are white and 96% of them are male.

I don't think those stats are accurate.
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 11:44:49 AM

Those kind of analysis have always been vague. I am a Bitcoin holder and I have never published my information to anyone - and there are hundreds of thousands like me. How would someone analyse their data?
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 01:23:07 PM

I don't think those stats are accurate.

They are a bit old. I think the stats are from 2013. Might have changed now.... with so many Chinese becoming new investors.
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 01:26:54 PM

Those kind of analysis have always been vague. I am a Bitcoin holder and I have never published my information to anyone - and there are hundreds of thousands like me. How would someone analyse their data?

Heh yah, the (appropriately!) paranoid anonymous cryptography fans are going to be severely under-represented.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
BTCMS

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 01:27:56 PM

Although the chinese now are a big part of the community there is no denying that very early adopters will probably be westerners. So yeah, tech/it-savvy mainly high educated western males will be main demographic I reckon.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 02:08:41 PM

Although the chinese now are a big part of the community there is no denying that very early adopters will probably be westerners.

There were a lot of Japanese and Koreans as well... but I don't know the exact percentage.
dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 03:51:14 PM

Pretty impossible to know, wouldn't surprise me if the surveyed demographic was white, straight and male, hardly surprising they would boast about it vs the opposite kind of people.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 07:29:00 PM

Pretty impossible to know, wouldn't surprise me if the surveyed demographic was white, straight and male, hardly surprising they would boast about it vs the opposite kind of people.

What the hell is the opposite of white, straight and male?

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
El Cabron
Gnomo
VIP

Activity: 840

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 10:35:50 PM

black gay and female?

Sorry El Cabron, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
Trolling
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=622250.msg7030081#msg7030081
jmdon1

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 11:46:12 PM

Roll Eyes
dreamspark

Activity: 798

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 12:09:22 PM

Black, gay and female...  Huh

I didn't express my point very eloquently, I tried to but its very hard over a media where context can be so easily lost.

My point was more so that people in third world countries or places where it maybe illegal to be gay or women are oppressed aren't going to come around shouting about their new found Bitcoin fortune vs stereotypical white, male geeks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: