Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:34:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How safe is Mt Gox?  (Read 1257 times)
xenon28 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 05:36:26 PM

Hi, I am fairly new to bitcoins. I first read about them in June but now after a bit of research and with a couple of friends we've decided to take the plunge and buy some. The other day I made an account with Mt Gox and sent some money by bank deposit to them, but my account has completely disappeared. I cannot login with my username and password but more worryingly, their password reset form says that there is no account associated with my email, which I find bizarre. After a bit of googling I've found that I am not the only one with this problem (cf: https://support.mtgox.com/entries/20233722-no-answers-from-mt-gox-claiming-password-reset).

I thought Mt Gox had a reputation as the main exchange for buying bitcoins? It was not an awful amount of money as really it was just to use between me and my friends for fun but I am still worried, how reliable are Mt Gox/what experiences have people had? Ive sent them a support ticket and hoping they can resolve it but really if I do not get my money back or access to my account I would be worried to try buying bitcoins again.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2011, 07:48:43 PM

I have used Mt Gox for some time and I have had problems with them in the past.  All issues were eventually resolved.  It takes them forever and a day to do anything.  You have to submit a ticket, wait, bug them, wait, bug them, etc.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 09:18:56 PM

their password reset form says that there is no account associated with my email, which I find bizarre.

The form that I use does not respond with any indication that the email you entered is truly a valid account or not -- it ALWAYS appears to respond with: "An email has been sent to your email address." (even if a bogus email address is entered).

- http://mtgox.com/login/lost-password

So if you are getting different results what method are you using to try to reset the password?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

xenon28 (OP)

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 11:30:35 PM

Yeah, I used the support area lost password reset accidentally. Turns out you have separate accounts for when you are contacting their support desk... anyway I have used the correct password reset now but I do not receive any password reset emails. This is a common problem from googling it seems, their password reset simply doesnt work and doesnt send out emails. Very useful Sad I am starting to wish Id used a different exchange now as I do not really wish to wait forever and a day for them to give access to my money! The most frustrating thing is I can see no reason why I am locked out of my account since I know my password (for definite) but it will not login with it!!
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 11:37:00 PM

Are you sure the email isn't on your spam folder? One thing that working on webservices customer support taught me is that 99% of times people say they didn't get an email it is on the spam folder...
MtGox_Adam

Activity: 22

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2011, 02:04:44 AM

Hi, I am fairly new to bitcoins. I first read about them in June but now after a bit of research and with a couple of friends we've decided to take the plunge and buy some. The other day I made an account with Mt Gox and sent some money by bank deposit to them, but my account has completely disappeared. I cannot login with my username and password but more worryingly, their password reset form says that there is no account associated with my email, which I find bizarre. After a bit of googling I've found that I am not the only one with this problem (cf: https://support.mtgox.com/entries/20233722-no-answers-from-mt-gox-claiming-password-reset).

I thought Mt Gox had a reputation as the main exchange for buying bitcoins? It was not an awful amount of money as really it was just to use between me and my friends for fun but I am still worried, how reliable are Mt Gox/what experiences have people had? Ive sent them a support ticket and hoping they can resolve it but really if I do not get my money back or access to my account I would be worried to try buying bitcoins again.

Hi,

First, I'd like to say thanks for choosing Mt.Gox to get your first coins. As I'm only just seeing this now, and we haven't looked into your issue, I can't really say what might be causing the issue. What I do know, is that we often have these types of requests and 99.9% it is not on our end.

Have you contacted our support team? The forum message you reference is from June 29th, around the time of our infamous hack-crash. It sounds like you weren't around then (you can maybe be glad about that!) and our users at the time were going through the claim process to recover their accounts. What I'm getting at, is that this is not a "known issue" Wink

My suggestion is that you log into the email address that you registered your account with, find the confirmation email, and forward that to our support team at support@mtgox.com. This will a) provide you with the assurance that you haven't confused what email address you signed up with, and b) help us to identify you and confirm a), as well.

In the worst case scenario, we can always track down your account via your deposit method. Either way, we'll be able to get you your account back. If there is indeed an issue with our password recovery that we unearth while we investigate your issue, we'll look into it immediately.

Thanks for trading with us, and we look forward to getting to the bottom of this Smiley

-Adam
Mt.Gox_Natalie

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 26, 2011, 05:24:21 AM

Yeah, I used the support area lost password reset accidentally. Turns out you have separate accounts for when you are contacting their support desk... anyway I have used the correct password reset now but I do not receive any password reset emails. This is a common problem from googling it seems, their password reset simply doesnt work and doesnt send out emails. Very useful Sad I am starting to wish Id used a different exchange now as I do not really wish to wait forever and a day for them to give access to my money! The most frustrating thing is I can see no reason why I am locked out of my account since I know my password (for definite) but it will not login with it!!

Hello,

We see that you have been able to login.  If your problem persists, please submit a ticket at the Support Desk and we will gladly investigate this matter. 
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2011, 05:29:00 AM

^ Wow talk about great support for Christmas day!
xenon28 (OP)

View Profile
December 26, 2011, 06:34:18 AM

Very good! I got an email from the password reset the fourth time I tried it (there were none in my spam folder from before). Thanks for the support, I was slightly scared Id been permanently locked out of my account. On my browser the Lost password? link doesnt work when you enter your username and password wrong, which is why I went to support then forgotten password from there. Feel like a bit of a whiner now lol.
altuin

Activity: 42

View Profile
December 26, 2011, 07:43:08 AM

Mt. Gox is striving to get support ready alot more now.. I think they are really taking a step in the right direction
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 26, 2011, 08:35:07 AM

On my browser the Lost password? link doesnt work when you enter your username and password wrong,

FYI, I was able to confirm this behavior in Chrome 14 and have opened a support ticket ( #17024 ) with Mt. Gox where I reported the problem.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

MtGox_Adam

Activity: 22

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2011, 02:14:37 AM

Very good! I got an email from the password reset the fourth time I tried it (there were none in my spam folder from before). Thanks for the support, I was slightly scared Id been permanently locked out of my account. On my browser the Lost password? link doesnt work when you enter your username and password wrong, which is why I went to support then forgotten password from there. Feel like a bit of a whiner now lol.

Thank you for the explanation. We'll keep an eye on this for more example and make sure to mention it to our development team so they can check into it. Otherwise, we're happy this is working for you now. Enjoy the low fees over the holidays!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: