Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 03:50:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why doesnt someone make a competitor to eBay that accepts cypto...... BitBay?  (Read 1578 times)
papagravel (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 06:46:42 AM

I've read quite a bit about eBay and PayPal cancelling peoples sales and outright banning people for using Bitcoin. Why doesn't someone create a site where people could buy and sell new or used items with Bitcoins?

Is this the next million dollar idea? We need to get people using Bitcoin and this is a great way to do it.

If eBay had some competition, it would force their hand. Isnt this the type of activity Bitcoin was created to do? Would Bitcoin payment be an improvement to the payment systems for eBay and Paypal? The money of the internet. The internet of money. Bitcoin is made for this.. We've all been sitting around waiting for them to get in the game. Why not do this ourselves? Who needs em.

my first post. Nice to meet you guys. You have provided some great reading. Thank you.

[ Z ] ZooomEx0%  trading  FEE                            CRYPTO EXCHANGE 
facebook  |  TELEGRAM  |  ◥ twitter  [  A N N  ◾  B O U N T Y  ◾  WP   ]
████████████████████ (❪ TRADE NOW ❫) ████████████████████
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 06:51:52 AM

Wouldn't be that hard to build, there are already ebay clone scripts readily available, just need to integrate btc payments.  in sure more than one person is building a bitcoin based auction site as we speak.

papagravel (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 06:59:59 AM

Hey you guys would have a place to sell your old rigs... or a coffee mug lol

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4501

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 07:20:28 AM

there was "bitmit", but there was too much issues eg:
selling illicit stuff that had to be removed alot
many scammers trying to abuse the system
wasnt programmed as well as ebay

i think the owner gave up in the end and closed it for good.

that is the problem with most bitcoin start-ups. they are set-up by naive basement dwellers and ran like hobby projects instead of actual legit businesses. They are looking for opportunities to make money with little to no work and as such, instead of employing or selling their project to enthusiastic and hard working people that want services to succeed, they end up just closing it down.

bitcoin doesnt need just a ebay clone, but a ebay clone with enthusiasm, drive to succeed and ethics.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
5flags

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 07:27:40 AM

Yes, anyone who tells you that setting up an ebay competitor shouldn't be too hard is living in cloud cuckoo land.

It's a heck of a lot of work. I'm working on a Bitcoin project right now, a very simple one, and it's a lot of work - mainly because I insist that it is done right. I do intend to introduce a market place, but it's a way off yet.

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 07:36:02 AM

that is the problem with most bitcoin start-ups. they are set-up by naive basement dwellers and ran like hobby projects instead of actual legit businesses. They are looking for opportunities to make money with little to no work and as such, instead of employing or selling their project to enthusiastic and hard working people that want services to succeed, they end up just closing it down.

IMO, it's really just this. If someone with enough initial capital with some vision wanted to do this they probably could, but currently nobody really has enough drive or wants to front up the money to make the project a success. Plus the initial expenses would be pretty high especially if you had to find someone to code and as the site expands to get some support staff. However, I'm pretty sure if they just took a % it would cover the costs and be a pretty good revenue stream.
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 07:42:06 AM

Why doesnt someone make a competitor to eBay that accepts cypto...... BitBay?

You mean BitPay ?
https://bitpay.com/
5flags

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 07:47:16 AM

You mean BitPay ?
https://bitpay.com/

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bitbay

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter
papagravel (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 07:52:17 AM

BitPay is the payal of the two. BitPay could act as the third party and be the dispute security of the auction site.

Brangdon

Activity: 365
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 08:01:57 AM

It would be a lot of work, and time. If/when you succeed and have a successful site, chances are eBay will start taking bitcoin. You lose your USP and your site has no role any more, so it dies. It'd be better to invest the effort into an idea with long-term prospects.

People who say eBay will never allow bitcoin are being naive, in my view. It's just another currency for them. If anything, their buyer-wins adjudication policy is even more important as a layer over Bitcoin because raw Bitcoin transactions are not reversible. If you want an eBay-like that doesn't have that policy, that favours the seller, then it might have long-term prospects but it's not actually specific to Bitcoin. (And it's not clear that the business will succeed, because you arguably need buyers more than sellers and buyers are less likely to use a site they don't trust because it favours sellers.)

Bitcoin: 1BrangfWu2YGJ8W6xNM7u66K4YNj2mie3t Nxt: NXT-XZQ9-GRW7-7STD-ES4DB
papagravel (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 08:12:58 AM

Even though bitcoin is not reversible, couldn't a system be put in place to handle disputes similar to how eBay handles them now? Im sure if you put your thinking cap on, someone could come up with a way to handle this where both buyer and seller are protected.

Is eBay going to accept this? Or they want to come up with their own version? Seems like to me they have taken a stance against it just like apple. They want to keep control of the money.

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 08:17:27 AM

https://cryptothrift.com/
^^^^
Excellent auction site.

sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 09:55:50 AM

I know; I was merely conveying to OP that such a service already exists with the name BitPay
vnvizow

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 10:42:26 AM

^^^^
Excellent auction site.
Thanks! Wonder why this site does appear on my google search results
lemfuture

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 10:47:38 AM

^^^^
Excellent auction site.
Thanks! Wonder why this site does appear on my google search results
need to popularize the link more or pay ads

1ADLcfwTofFXb95pKhebpeRkJ4WTWsvQXB
100bitcoin

Activity: 860
Merit: 423

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 10:49:10 AM

I've read quite a bit about eBay and PayPal cancelling peoples sales and outright banning people for using Bitcoin. Why doesn't someone create a site where people could buy and sell new or used items with Bitcoins?

Is this the next million dollar idea? We need to get people using Bitcoin and this is a great way to do it.

If eBay had some competition, it would force their hand. Isnt this the type of activity Bitcoin was created to do? Would Bitcoin payment be an improvement to the payment systems for eBay and Paypal? The money of the internet. The internet of money. Bitcoin is made for this.. We've all been sitting around waiting for them to get in the game. Why not do this ourselves? Who needs em.

my first post. Nice to meet you guys. You have provided some great reading. Thank you.

It is coming ...please wait a few more days

zolace

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 11:10:28 AM

Wow someone says is coming, dont have realistic goals, for one thing I should be opening a ebay competitor but in order to do this , you need better concepts then Ebay, you cant just start an ebay competitor without any ammo.  Many have tried to do this already and failed and worse of all now there are companies accepting bitcoin, you will have to beat them as well.   Plus you will need about 10,000 USD for SEO alone monlthy.  If you wanna reach out and have a good marketing team. 

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 11:36:04 AM

So they finally took a decision .! still can't say how much they mean it..
http://www.coindesk.com/ebay-adds-new-virtual-currency-category-us-site/

guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 11:41:12 AM

Feathercoin also has a ebay style market: https://feathercoinmarket.com
BitOnyx

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Cryptocurrencies Exchange

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 11:43:09 AM

There are already such sites. All of them would have hard times though at point when ebay (sooner or later) decide to accept bitcoin.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: