Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:55:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: (M)MORPG with a Bitcoin currency  (Read 2226 times)
n2liquid (OP)

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2011, 02:35:31 PM

@CliffordM, I have never played an exciting text-based game, though I'm sure it's possible to make one. I like the parallel world-style thematics (i.e. not our past, not our future; something completely unbound from our world, used only as an inspiration for the new one) better, if I'm to start suggesting anything.

What do you think?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CliffordM

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 27, 2011, 06:29:21 PM

Given we are trying to create something in which to use bitcoin as a central currency, I think that the game should revolve around the players being able to easily make payments amongst themselves.
bithobo

Activity: 87

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 12:15:10 AM

Given we are trying to create something in which to use bitcoin as a central currency, I think that the game should revolve around the players being able to easily make payments amongst themselves.

They already have that, it's called Bitcoin Cheesy

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
n2liquid (OP)

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 09:49:34 PM

The Instawallet API (https://instawallet.org/static/api.html) must be a nice way to start testing Bitcoin games, huh? Really easy to start trading coins Grin

I think I'll make something using NodeJS just to try it out. Anyone else here into server-side JavaScript?
CliffordM

Activity: 95

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 11:52:29 PM

I had a fun time today playing dragonstale , a free to play mmorpg with bit coins as the in game currency.
NASDAQEnema

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 12:50:19 AM

@Gabi, yes, something "high-tech" can be directly linked to BTC, but that doesn't mean Bitcoins can be worked in-game to be magical, steampunk, or just a normal currency.

My initial idea is to have something Ragnarok-style: http://mmohuts.com/wp-content/gallery/ragnarok-online/ragnarok-online-outside-combat.jpg

Or maybe Wild Arms 5-style (artwise):

http://www.dignews.com/legacy/screenshots/wild_arms_5_rev_06.jpg
http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2007/03/wildarms5.jpg

@mattiemus, thanks for that post, man; it really gives me a lot of energy! Grin

One way of "securing" the working capital would be to simply make sure that there's limited money in there to keep the drops happening (e.g. having a "cap" amount adjusted to how many players are online), and move the remaining money to the possession of one (or many) game masters with password-protected wallets. They should then put the money back in as needed.

Here's an idea:

Use microwallets. Like say use dobits (.001 BTC) with a wallet cap.

When people deposit their bitcoins 99.9% gets distributed throughout the game. Under rocks with challenges attached for example. They get an equal amount of dobits in their in-game wallet. As people find the distributed coins they move out of the microwallet of the user who deposited them. If the user transfers dobits to someone else they move from the place they were scattered. Coins spent at non-player character shops go back into the game.

As a result you are using the game itself as a bank making it impossible to steal any of the coins easily. As long as coins are locked or behind an unsolved challenge then they cannot be moved. If they are transferred between in-game wallets without a matching transaction any attempt to withdraw will have them sent back to the owner.

This adds a curious possibility: You can have campaigns where people can choose to play a thief character and steal the dobits but never actually own them. They can then be exchanged for items at shops but the ownership remains with the original user.

This allows the tactics and strategy of spies and thieves to be played out in a controlled way that's challenging and fun rather than allowing people to steal large amounts.

If someone were to hack into the system they would only have access to the dobits. Not worth the trouble.

If people want to withdraw their bitcoins, they will be removed from the game.
If people do a transaction of bitcoins it must be authorized by both parties, even a third (say a guild secretary).
If someone sends the dobits to their in-game wallet by hacking and tries to withdraw, the coins will actually return to the correct owner. Again not worth the trouble to hack.

In order to steal, the attacker has to move the dobits into their wallet, hack into the user's email account, hack intto the secretary's account, or create a fraudulent transaction in the database after hacking into that. And that would require modifying multiple tables.

I could draw up the code for this scheme and it would make the security of the exchanges pale by comparison. In fact, it might replace them.

If you feel Universe has trolled you exclusively, please donate to Emergency Butthurt Support Fund:
1Jv4wa1w4Le4Ku9MZRxcobnDFzAUF9aotH
Proceeds go to Emergency Butthurt Escape Pod none of you will be allowed to use. If you have read this far, you must pay Emergency Butthurt Internet Tax.
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 12:51:48 AM

I had a fun time today playing dragonstale , a free to play mmorpg with bit coins as the in game currency.

Where is it ? dragonstale

N.Olmos

Activity: 162

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 01:11:49 AM

Dragon's Tale

http://www.dragons.tl

Refer friends and earn 25%!

http://offers.coinad.com/?r=3
NASDAQEnema

Activity: 182

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 01:52:41 AM

@mattiemus, thanks for that post, man; it really gives me a lot of energy! Grin

One way of "securing" the working capital would be to simply make sure that there's limited money in there to keep the drops happening (e.g. having a "cap" amount adjusted to how many players are online), and move the remaining money to the possession of one (or many) game masters with password-protected wallets. They should then put the money back in as needed.

The idea of "splitting out" the entire store of bitcoins would be a good idea, you spread the risk of storing the coins over so many people reducing the risk of the pool being stolen.
And the cap would be a cool idea too, it would also allow you to take, say 10% for upkeep of the game (and to allow you and the game masters to actually afford to eat, cuz y'know thats important too Wink)

LOL. The notion is in the ocean (TM yours truly). HIVEMIND!

See my post on page 2.

If you feel Universe has trolled you exclusively, please donate to Emergency Butthurt Support Fund:
1Jv4wa1w4Le4Ku9MZRxcobnDFzAUF9aotH
Proceeds go to Emergency Butthurt Escape Pod none of you will be allowed to use. If you have read this far, you must pay Emergency Butthurt Internet Tax.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: