Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:25:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [newbie question] Which coin should I mine?  (Read 1844 times)
protonbeam (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 11:17:10 AM

Sorry for the newbie question. I realize I'm pretty late in joining the cryptocurrency bandwagon. I do not have a GPU or an ASIC miner, hence I absolutely can not mine bitcoins. I have an i5-2500K. Which currency would be the best to mine on this CPU? I am currently mining primecoins, and I have joined a pool as well. Is dogecoin going to be better? How about Quark? Since I am pretty new to the mining scene, I prefer a GUI miner over a CLI one, similar to what ypool provides. I also prefer coins which can be mined on Linux over others. Having a wallet for iOS and Android is a big plus. Also, since I plan on moving from physical currency to cryptocurrencies as much as I can, I prefer a less volatile currency. Bitcoin looks extremely volatile. A while ago, it was $1000+, now its less than $500. Also, which bitcoin exchange is the best? btc-e? I'd rather not go with anything which had any ties with Mt. Gox.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
brokedummy
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 11:28:04 AM

Nothing is good to CPU mine because botnets would mine it and dump it to below electric costs. GPU mining is barely profitable anymore. If you want to get into crypto you are probably going to want to either just buy the coins or buy an asic for scrypt coins or a GPU for asic resistant coins.
protonbeam (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 11:50:15 AM

Nothing is good to CPU mine because botnets would mine it and dump it to below electric costs. GPU mining is barely profitable anymore. If you want to get into crypto you are probably going to want to either just buy the coins or buy an asic for scrypt coins or a GPU for asic resistant coins.

Well, I have lots of free credit on Amazon and DO for virtual servers. So at this point, my mining costs would be 0, anything I make would be considered profit. Do you mean botnets would lower its value? Which GPU should I buy? I don't want to get a top of the line ultra costly GPU. If I'm understanding it correctly, bitcoin exchanges operate similarly to stock exchanges, right? I have my computers running 24x7 anyway, so mining doesn't cost me more than running my computers already does.
grippy54

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 12:17:16 PM

mining doesn't cost me more than running my computers already does.
Mining will cost more than having a PC sit idle, always. If you're mining, the CPU or GPU is FULLY utilized and will typically require MUCH more electricity to use than if it were doing nothing or just running a screen saver. Plus there will be significant cooling required, so whatever fans the PC has will likely be going full speed.
protonbeam (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 12:29:18 PM

Mining will cost more than having a PC sit idle, always. If you're mining, the CPU or GPU is FULLY utilized and will typically require MUCH more electricity to use than if it were doing nothing or just running a screen saver. Plus there will be significant cooling required, so whatever fans the PC has will likely be going full speed.

Yes, but my PC's never sit idle. If I weren't mining, I'd be running BOINC, or 10s of VMs. So its not much different, since BOINC would be eating all my cores if mining wasn't.
grippy54

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 01:22:28 PM

Yes, but my PC's never sit idle. If I weren't mining, I'd be running BOINC, or 10s of VMs. So its not much different, since BOINC would be eating all my cores if mining wasn't.
Good point. Then there is really no downside. You have no investment cost and no increase in operating costs.

ASICs have hit scrypt, so consider mining scrypt-n (vertcoin) or something else that is equally ASIC resistant. Get a couple good mind-range GPUs like R9 270. The 270 is about $200 and will do 225khs on scrypt-n (450khs on script).

Nothing is good for CPUs right now. If you have free credit, just mine the same thing as your GPUs are mining, or maybe target a newer coin with very low difficulty. Check out whatmine.com. There are profitable coins listed with a difficulty below 1. Sounds like a good place to target a CPU.
protonbeam (OP)

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 07:58:26 PM

Good point. Then there is really no downside. You have no investment cost and no increase in operating costs.

ASICs have hit scrypt, so consider mining scrypt-n (vertcoin) or something else that is equally ASIC resistant. Get a couple good mind-range GPUs like R9 270. The 270 is about $200 and will do 225khs on scrypt-n (450khs on script).

Nothing is good for CPUs right now. If you have free credit, just mine the same thing as your GPUs are mining, or maybe target a newer coin with very low difficulty. Check out whatmine.com. There are profitable coins listed with a difficulty below 1. Sounds like a good place to target a CPU.

If lower difficulty equals better return, protoshare should be very good, right? Difficulty: 0.036228
grippy54

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 12:37:09 PM

If lower difficulty equals better return, protoshare should be very good, right? Difficulty: 0.036228
Yes. That would be good for CPU mining.
researchsupportcoin

Activity: 63

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2014, 10:05:25 PM

You can actually earn Research Support Coin by running BOINC: www.researchsupportcoin.org

Join Research Support Coin at www.researchsupportcoin.org
btc-mike

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 01:34:15 AM

Sorry for the newbie question. I realize I'm pretty late in joining the cryptocurrency bandwagon. I do not have a GPU or an ASIC miner, hence I absolutely can not mine bitcoins. I have an i5-2500K. Which currency would be the best to mine on this CPU? I am currently mining primecoins, and I have joined a pool as well. Is dogecoin going to be better? How about Quark? Since I am pretty new to the mining scene, I prefer a GUI miner over a CLI one, similar to what ypool provides. I also prefer coins which can be mined on Linux over others. Having a wallet for iOS and Android is a big plus. Also, since I plan on moving from physical currency to cryptocurrencies as much as I can, I prefer a less volatile currency. Bitcoin looks extremely volatile. A while ago, it was $1000+, now its less than $500. Also, which bitcoin exchange is the best? btc-e? I'd rather not go with anything which had any ties with Mt. Gox.

Here are coins that can be CPU mined. -> http://cpucoinlist.com/

You won't get rich CPU mining, but it is a start.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: