Bitcoin Forum
July 14, 2024, 11:31:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The rewards for a Bitcoin miner  (Read 1227 times)
davejh (OP)

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 01:15:55 PM

I've spent another few hours crunching numbers to try to work out some of the current economics of bitcoin mining as a whole. I've been interested in how much money has been generated by mining and how much has to be spent on mining hardware. I also took a guess at when the next fixed block reward will halve next time and what the current peak hashing rate might look like (assuming the best current 28 nm ASICs).

If anyone is interested then you can find the write-up at: http://hashingit.com/11-the-rewards-for-a-bitcoin-miner
J_Dubbs

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 01:21:58 PM

I've spent another few hours crunching numbers to try to work out some of the current economics of bitcoin mining as a whole. I've been interested in how much money has been generated by mining and how much has to be spent on mining hardware. I also took a guess at when the next fixed block reward will halve next time and what the current peak hashing rate might look like (assuming the best current 28 nm ASICs).

If anyone is interested then you can find the write-up at: http://hashingit.com/11-the-rewards-for-a-bitcoin-miner

It looks like you are completely omitting the added tax complexities and cost associated with US based mining, thus for me the write-up is incomplete and doesn't seem relevant for the times. Just being honest, my opinion.
davejh (OP)

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 05:41:49 PM

It looks like you are completely omitting the added tax complexities and cost associated with US based mining, thus for me the write-up is incomplete and doesn't seem relevant for the times. Just being honest, my opinion.

I guess the interesting question is just what percentage of the mining is taking place in the US? Up to now there hasn't really been a huge tax complication and it will be interesting to see what effect that has. It's difficult to estimate the impact given a lack of any historical data.

For anyone mining as a commercial enterprise then I would expect that if any income is being reinvested in mining equipment then the tax liabilities will be marginal - it's certainly there for any individuals though.
precrime3

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

PM for journalist,typing,and data entry services.

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 05:46:03 PM

I guess the interesting question is just what percentage of the mining is taking place in the US? Up to now there hasn't really been a huge tax complication and it will be interesting to see what effect that has. It's difficult to estimate the impact given a lack of any historical data.

For anyone mining as a commercial enterprise then I would expect that if any income is being reinvested in mining equipment then the tax liabilities will be marginal - it's certainly there for any individuals though.

That's the first half of the problem, US complications. I believe the worse has yet to come, as since China and USA are cracking down on BTC (regulating would be a better word here), I believe more countries will too as well as many countries look at economic superpowers and gauge on what they should do based on what USA and China did. So I believe that US percentage of miners (which I believe is fairly high, as their pretty lenient right now, even with tax guidelines) is irrelevant, as if other countries follow suit... Its not just US tax guidelines you'll have to go by, its by xxx countries.

J_Dubbs

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:07:39 PM

Tax liabilities are one thing, but the compliance and hiring of CPAs is another. I mean, there are plenty of collateral costs that come along with increased compliance. I went legit, taxes due weren't crazy but definitely had to pay my CPA a few bucks and put several hours into creating records for him. The larger the operation the larger the costs.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: