Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:21:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Transaction confirmation time down  (Read 1890 times)
FastSlots (OP)

Activity: 1008
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 03:02:45 PM

See https://blockchain.info/charts/avg-confirmation-time.

Does anyone know why that is? Could this due to Bitcoin Core 0.9.0?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Chemistry1988
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 03:11:12 PM

It is indeed related to the increasing total network hashrate.

https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty

Bitcoin Difficulty:    5,006,860,589
Estimated Next Difficulty:    6,135,992,123 (+22.55%)
Adjust time:    After 158 Blocks, About 20.9 hours

Block Generation Time(?):    
1 block: 7.9 minutes
3 blocks: 23.8 minutes
6 blocks: 47.6 minutes

With blocks being found at a faster rate (on average), transaction will get confirmed at a faster rate (on average).
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 03:25:28 PM

Average confirmation time of ~10 minutes is still quite significant. Won't cause any problem for the online shoppers. But people who want to use BTC for retail shopping won't be able to do it.
btcpay86

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

全球O2O消费商

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 03:31:15 PM

Yes, due to 0.9.

1. Jeunesse, Redefining YOUTH.  婕斯,重新定义年轻。| 该生病而不生病,该老化却很年轻,正是婕斯“沛泉菁华”的奥秘所在。
    为了大家实现财务自由的梦想,敬请关注婕斯全球直销网站: http://haccp.jeunesseglobal.com
2. 捐赠 Donations:  BTC - 12QSDXfUq6B2ywer8xJeQYbiV7A7E8yB3H
5thStreetResearch

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 03:41:15 PM

This is a good thing right?

greenlion

Activity: 667

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 04:41:23 PM

Average confirmation time of ~10 minutes is still quite significant. Won't cause any problem for the online shoppers. But people who want to use BTC for retail shopping won't be able to do it.

Retail transactions are routinely performed at 0 confirmations, because transaction propagation alone validates any given transaction better than any other payment method in existence already. 10 minute blocks being a hindrance to retail application is the biggest myth that absolutely refuses to die.
lynn_402

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 04:48:42 PM

Could the fact that the number of transactions/day is decreasing play a role in this?
(There's about 10-20% less now than in March: https://blockchain.info/en/charts/n-transactions)
There's still quite more than there was in January and February though.
ryanmnercer

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 05:22:51 PM

Retail transactions are routinely performed at 0 confirmations, because transaction propagation alone validates any given transaction better than any other payment method in existence already. 10 minute blocks being a hindrance to retail application is the biggest myth that absolutely refuses to die.

Except as a business owner I'm not giving you ANYTHING till I see 3 confirmations.

Buy peptides with BTC
Satosh¡ Slot

Activity: 164

Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 05:44:47 PM

There's only two things that can change the confirmation time:
1. The current fork uses a slightly modified code that has smaller target that gives faster confirmations.
2. The hash rate increased rapidly and it will take a little time for the difficulty to adjust to set the average block to 10 minutes.

In this case it's for sure (2) that is the answer.

descarte

Activity: 195

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 05:48:30 PM

atm, be prepared for hours to get 3 confirmations.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 09:51:02 PM

1. The current fork uses a slightly modified code that has smaller target that gives faster confirmations.
2. The hash rate increased rapidly and it will take a little time for the difficulty to adjust to set the average block to 10 minutes.

The hash rate hasn't jumped recently. On a log scale, it's been a straight line since the beginning of 2013, when ASICs started coming on line.
lnternet

Activity: 299
Merit: 253

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 09:58:27 PM

Except as a business owner I'm not giving you ANYTHING till I see 3 confirmations.

Well you are free to do as you please. But try sending me coins with correct fees but no confirmation and then try taking them back.

1ntemetqbXokPSSkuHH4iuAJRTQMP6uJ9
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 10:05:25 PM

3.  Block are larger and the average number of blocks that a transaction has to wait before confirmation has been reduced.

v0.9 changed the defaults for block size.  The chart is not showing the average time between blocks it is showing the average time to the first confirmation of a transaction.  There is a difference.  The average time between blocks has been significantly less than 10 minutes for months now.

Rannasha

Activity: 728

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 10:31:12 PM

Then have fun losing business to competitors that do accept 0-conf transactions and still see 0 to almost 0 losses due to double-spends.

edit: for brick-and-mortar stores and other business that relies on instant delivery of goods that is. Everything that is bought online but has to be physically shipped can afford to wait for one or more confirmations.
tins

Activity: 882

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 10:36:45 PM

There is really no need for that. Once you see the transaction go through, even without confirmations, you are safe.
The transaction will end up going through...there is no way for the purchaser to reverse it once you see it show up.
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 11:00:33 PM

There is really no need for that. Once you see the transaction go through, even without confirmations, you are safe.
The transaction will end up going through...there is no way for the purchaser to reverse it once you see it show up.

OK, I thought that having 51% of the hashing power allows you to do just that and more....
tins

Activity: 882

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 12:31:37 AM

OK, I thought that having 51% of the hashing power allows you to do just that and more....

Exactly! Since nobody controls or will control 51% of the hashing power, there is no fear for a business owner.
skooter

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 12:55:29 AM

Exactly! Since nobody controls or will control 51% of the hashing power, there is no fear for a business owner.

You could double spend the transaction.

If you control 10% of the hash power, you can replace the Tx in your mempool with one that overrides the existing one. It'll have a 10% chance of working.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4447

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 12:57:34 AM

Yes, due to 0.9.

no!

the miners are adding more hash power everyday, to exceed the difficulty causing them to be able to mine faster then average. the difficulty tries to rise high enough to compensate, but more hash power keeps getting added on.. nothing at all related to the client program at all.. its miner related

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
iraszl

Activity: 266
Merit: 257

Enthusiast

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 02:20:26 AM

One could theoretically create an app that first sends out the payment to the merchant's address. But immediately after that also sends the same to 50 other addresses too. I think there is a chance one of those 50 will get confirmed and the merchant could end up with nothing. Is this possible?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: