Bitcoin Forum
May 18, 2024, 02:13:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP I GOT ROBBED!  (Read 3639 times)
the1 (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 03:58:00 PM

I really feel like I want to puke and I'm shaking all over my body and can barely type.

I was just checking my wallet on blockchain and noticed that all my bitcoins were transfered to another account!

From the Details it happened yesterday.

I had made a brainwallet which i tought noone could have guessed and never put my private-key somewhere.

Please is there anything I can do or at least to make me feel better?
I just don't have a clue what to doaöäshefp9heWHFPAWHEFE
go4nature

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 04:23:36 PM

Very sad to hear. How much did you lost?

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 04:27:19 PM

Please post the details. Especially, the transaction ID in blockchain. Since the robbery has been already committed, there is not much that we could do now. But still, if there is any chance of a recovery, then we can try.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 04:30:15 PM

Bummer man. But please do follow up with anything you learn about what happened. It may save someone else.  Embarrassed

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 04:33:18 PM

I had made a brainwallet which i tought noone could have guessed and never put my private-key somewhere.

This was a very bad idea.  People don't need to "guess" a brainwallet.  Instead, they write computer programs that model human behavior and then generate all possible brainwallets that match a set of likely behaviors.  Depending on where and how you created the brainwallet, it is also possible that the brainwallet creating program stored a history of the brainwallets that it created so that the author of the program could steal the bitcoins at a future date.

Please is there anything I can do

Unfortunately recovery of the bitcoins is extremely unlikely.  There is a small chance that the thief is careless and reveals something about themselves that allows them to be identified. With subpoena power, there is a very small chance that the thief might try to use the bitcoins at a service that would supply you (or law enforcement) with the identity of the thief from their records.  Please don't take this to mean that there is any hope of recovery.  I offer this information only in the interest of being complete in my answer.  I don't want to instill you with false hope.

As a note to anybody else that comes across this thread:

Bitcoin is still experimental and is still a technology considered to be in beta test.  As such, it is very important that people don't hold more bitcoins than they can emotionally handle losing.  If a person would feel devastated to lose all their bitcoins (or if the exchange rate on their bitcoins were to drop to $0) then they have too much bitcoins.
lynn_402

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 04:34:14 PM

So many worthless hackers hold so many Bitcoins.. I got in this to be protected from the theft that is inflation, but the thiefs here are 10 times worst.
Starting to lose faith in this, imagine the power these scums will have when a Bitcoin will be worth 20000$ or more Sad

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 04:50:08 PM

So many worthless hackers hold so many Bitcoins.. I got in this to be protected from the theft that is inflation, but the thiefs here are 10 times worst.
Starting to lose faith in this, imagine the power these scums will have when a Bitcoin will be worth 20000$ or more Sad

Worse?

There is absolutely nothing you can do to protect yourself against inflation if you hold an inflationary currency.

There is much you can do to protect yourself against the theft of bitcoins if you are willing to take the time to learn just a little bit.

Also, just so you are aware, the bitcoin supply is currently inflationary and will continue to be so for the lifetime of most people that are alive today. The supply of bitcoins should continue to increase until nearly the year 2140.
jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 05:05:55 PM

It is always saddening to hear about people loosing all their bitcoins. Brain wallets is a good idea in principle but is extremely difficult for us humans to think of a long phrase which is truly random. My advice is not to use them, and do not put all your coins in one address.
lynn_402

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 05:06:42 PM

Worse?

There is absolutely nothing you can do to protect yourself against inflation if you hold an inflationary currency.

There is much you can do to protect yourself against the theft of bitcoins if you are willing to take the time to learn just a little bit.

Also, just so you are aware, the bitcoin supply is currently inflationary and will continue to be so for the lifetime of most people that are alive today. The supply of bitcoins should continue to increase until nearly the year 2140.

I know I can protect my Bitcoins, but the theft of coins from those who can't affect me too.
Imagine how much the value of gold would plummet if 10% of the world supply of it was stolen, and the economical power that the worthless looters would gain.
Still, Bitcoin is quite young and I believe it will survive this, but I'm really looking forward for a service like Coinbase to gain enough credibility in being able to properly secure the noobie's coins, and make cellphone 2fa obligatory. And you make a good point about there being no way to be protected against inflation. Thanks for your answer, it's just that seeing this kind of posts everyday depresses me a bit Wink
BSZ28

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 05:13:37 PM

Sorry to hear the loss. It is not really a good idea to use brainwallet.

BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 05:17:29 PM

I really feel like I want to puke and I'm shaking all over my body and can barely type.

I was just checking my wallet on blockchain and noticed that all my bitcoins were transfered to another account!

From the Details it happened yesterday.

Please is there anything I can do or at least to make me feel better?
I just don't have a clue what to doaöäshefp9heWHFPAWHEFE

Can u please give us the Tx details ?

softron

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 05:19:42 PM

Sorry for your loss. did u scan for virus.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 05:28:43 PM

As Danny mentioned, passwords should contain no information. Do not include ANY words and no numbers that relate to you, such as an address. It should be a long password (at least 20 chars.) and use both cases as well as numbers and special chars. Using words leaves you open to a dictionary attack. You must force the thief to brute force your password and then make it so long that he can't. There are only like 80K English words in common use, all of them could be checked in seconds. 

For example: Ji$9iht5cR@09onUG7fcMg2&nSP

Rather than: myleetpassword

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3219

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 05:57:09 PM

I had made a brainwallet which i thought noone could have guessed and never put my private-key somewhere.

Sorry, there is nothing you can do.

The mistake you made was thinking that nobody would or could guess your password. No brain wallet is safe. There are 6 billion people in the world. What are the chances of one of them using the same password? What are the chances your password being guessed by any of the thousands of computers that are making millions of guesses every second? Both of those possibilities are very high. Any password that can be memorized can be guessed easily or accidentally.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
the1 (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 10:26:14 PM

what can I do with the transaction-id?
I know in cases like that some people are asking for it,
but I haven't heard of any recovery because of the transaction-id.
Just trying to understand for what it's good or use.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 10:28:21 PM

It is always saddening to hear about people loosing all their bitcoins. Brain wallets is a good idea in principle but is extremely difficult for us humans to think of a long phrase which is truly random. My advice is not to use them, and do not put all your coins in one address. bad idea

FYPFY
fatguyyyyy

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

Bitcoin Mixer: https://BitLaunder.com

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 10:42:20 PM

1st of all, I never heard of brain wallet. Why trust a wallet thats not established when there are options like blockchain?

The only recovery attempt would be contacting brain wallet and see if they can re-course that transaction with your story.

Tell them the details of what happened, and see if they can retrieve the balance it went to and take that balance which is very possible.

To make it faster, screen capture the balance gone, etc.

Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 02:07:44 AM

1st of all, I never heard of brain wallet. Why trust a wallet thats not established when there are options like blockchain?

The only recovery attempt would be contacting brain wallet and see if they can re-course that transaction with your story.

Tell them the details of what happened, and see if they can retrieve the balance it went to and take that balance which is very possible.

To make it faster, screen capture the balance gone, etc.

A brain wallet is not a web wallet as you are alluding to with Blockchain. It is this: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Brainwallet

As far as security goes - just avoid using a brain wallet. It might be a cool idea but unless you have sufficient entropy your coins will be eventually stolen.
firstlast

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 02:15:44 AM

Sorry for your loss.

Brain wallets aren't safe because people are terrible at choosing random passphrases. Hopefully your mistake wasn't too expensive!
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3219

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 02:45:54 AM

what can I do with the transaction-id?
I know in cases like that some people are asking for it,
but I haven't heard of any recovery because of the transaction-id.
Just trying to understand for what it's good or use.

People are asking for the transaction id in order to look at the transaction that sent the coins from your wallet. There may be a clue to where the coins went and even a possibility that you haven't actually lost the coins. Don't hold your breath. If everything you wrote is accurate, then it is probably impossible for you to get your coins back.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: