Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:45:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My cristmas present: Burnt House  (Read 2217 times)
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 01:55:58 AM

I know this is hard for you or anyone else who has already 'made up their mind about [me]' to understand, but when I first saw this thread I wanted to say "I am so sorry for your loss". Do you know why I didn't? Because I also immediately thought about what a good scam this would be.

It is not an issue of not having a heart, it's an issue of having a loud brain. Turn yours up and I'll turn mine down.
In case you missed it. There is a photo of a smoke damaged computer that suspiciously looks like a bitcoin miner.

Is that really all the evidence it would take you to send something to a newbie on this forum?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 01:56:20 AM

I know this is hard for you or anyone else who has already 'made up their mind about [me]' to understand, but when I first saw this thread I wanted to say "I am so sorry for your loss". Do you know why I didn't? Because I also immediately thought about what a good scam this would be.

It is not an issue of not having a heart, it's an issue of having a loud brain. Turn yours up and I'll turn mine down.
In case you missed it. There is a photo of a smoke damaged computer that suspiciously looks like a bitcoin miner.

I noticed that photo too.  It's the only photo in the entire lot that was convincing to me.  If it weren't for that photo and that photo alone, I'd be inclined to side with Matthew.  I do believe the house belongs to the OP (though, the photo is a long way from 'proof').

Proof of insurance (or lack thereof) is another issue.

In either case, sorry to hear about the house  Sad  I'm glad nobody was hurt.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 02:19:37 AM
Last edit: January 01, 2012, 03:29:37 AM by repentance

Fortunately, it looks like there's very little damage to the house itself.  Furniture and consumer goods can be replaced and the latter can be done without to a large extent.

It's a stunning coincidence that your dad happened to go check on the house just after the fire had started but before it had taken hold enough to cause extensive damage.  Don't be surprised if the investigators ask a lot of questions about that - it's their job to be suspicious of such coincidences.

Why the fuck would anyone set up a mining rig in the bathroom, for fuck's sake?  If you're that careless about electricity, then I'm surprised you haven't had a fire before now.

Insurance isn't necessarily the issue, but liability might be.  If negligence on the part of the occupants caused the fire then they might be directly financially responsible for the damage whereas they might not be if arson by a third party can be established.  Fire investigators are not stupid and they'll look at all of the possibilities before committing themselves to a conclusion about how and where the fire started and whether or not it was arson.

I don't have trouble believing that there was a fire.  I also don't have trouble believing that the OP thinks he knows the circumstances under which the fire occurred.  Regardless of whether or not the fire was arson, it's really up to his parents to get estimates of the damage and come up with ways of funding any repairs.  I don't know whether the OP's parents know that he's soliciting money on their behalf, but I'd have no respect for any parent who endorsed their child doing that even if it is an adult child doing so.

I'm curious about how much the estimate for essential repairs is if it's going to take 2-3 years to pay off the amount.  Your profile gives your age as 32 and that makes me wonder why neither you nor your parents have the capacity to raise funds through conventional means.

I'm also interested in knowing whether the parents own the house outright or whether there's a mortgage on it.  If they own it, then they should be able to borrow against it to fund repairs.  If there's a mortgage, then it's usually a condition of the loan that insurance be maintained on the home itself. 

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2012, 03:41:06 AM

My Bitcoin adress: No need anymore, thanks for all the support!

It's all said. I don't know what to say more, but to thank you in advance for all the help, you are the best.

I wish you all, including the ones who burned my house, a happy cristmas and a very happy new year.

Best regards, AniceInovation

Looks like everything is now fine, according to this update in the OP.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 04:10:39 AM

It's all said. I don't know what to say more, but to thank you in advance for all the help, you are the best.

I wish you all, including the ones who burned my house, a happy cristmas and a very happy new year.

Looks like everything is now fine, according to this update in the OP.

I promise I won't say I told you so.

payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 09:28:45 AM

...I told you so.

what if someone mis-quotes you? Wink
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 11:15:19 AM

...I told you so.

what if someone mis-quotes you? Wink

Shocked

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2012, 06:07:05 PM

My Bitcoin adress: 12cFgq3iwoA4iRzMMHZjZi7wAmaAXCq3Xd

Changed to this:

Surely, the following is not all that is needed to make repairs and purchase replacements: http://server1.blockchain.info/address/12cFgq3iwoA4iRzMMHZjZi7wAmaAXCq3Xd  and  http://blockexplorer.com/address/12cFgq3iwoA4iRzMMHZjZi7wAmaAXCq3Xd

Final Balance   (362.42 USD) 70.37283242 BTC
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: