Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:02:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripple vs Bitcoin  (Read 13327 times)
NWO

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 09:31:57 AM
Last edit: April 06, 2014, 09:51:03 AM by NWO

Every time I read bitcoiners trying to understand Ripple.

Why are you all so dumb!? Stick with your simple archaic system if that is all you can wrap your mind around.

Sick of seeing these debates.

Yes, insulting people is a great way to support your view?

Every time I read bitcoiners trying to understand Ripple..
Ripple is not suitable for mainstream users (BTC is not yet either)

• BTC has over 20 to 50+ companies with VC$$$ all trying to make BTC ready for prime time.
  • How many companies are actively working to improve Ripple?
  • What are the chances Ripple will ever be ready for "the dumb people" to use?

Because I don't care if bitcoiners don't understand Ripple. The amount of threads that I have read with Sukrim clearly rebutting or informing bitcoiners about Ripple is ridiculous. The worst part is, those same people are still like...

From the top of my head there is peercover, ritazachari (jewelry), bitstamp, zip zap, ripplesingapore (gold/ silver) and with crosscoinventures I'm sure there are many more in the pipeline. Theoretically, anyone who accepts BTC accepts XRP due to the Bitcoin bridge (but you probably don't know what that is either). How many companies were involved with Bitcoin after a year? Oh that's right, it was still being premined/ instamined (there's some bitcoiner lingo which is actually relevant!) by Satoshi and his small group of followers.

I'm assuming this is what the OP is talking about http://www.coindesk.com/ripple-courts-developers-entrepreneurs-new-initiatives/
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NWO

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 09:44:31 AM

Every time I read bitcoiners trying to understand Ripple ...

I know how you feel but your post was unhelpful, NWO.   Bitcoiners are a natural ally to the Ripple ecosystem, though and we can't forget that.

People get abused or treated poorly daily on bitcointalk for not understanding Bitcoin....

When you constantly witness 'senior members' still not grasping Ripple (considering it is so simple) and still yapping on about it being closed source, premined etc it just gets annoying. I don't mind helping genuine newcomers to Ripple (I have activated well over 10+ accounts for new members, friends, family), it is the people who constantly whine like broken records or understand nothing about Ripple (and just post links to RippleScam etc) that annoy me.

It is true, Ripple empowers Bitcoin and they work hand-in-hand. Let them find out after its too late. We have bigger fish to fry than this forum.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:16:41 AM

I know how you feel but your post was unhelpful, NWO.   Bitcoiners are a natural ally to the Ripple ecosystem, though and we can't forget that.

People get abused or treated poorly daily on bitcointalk for not understanding Bitcoin....
People get abused or treated poorly on the WoW forums or youtube for understanding/using Bitcoin.

This is bitcointalk.org, it is kinda expected that people are critical towards anything that might look like endangering BTC. Also, maybe I need to remind you that you were also kinda trolling against Ripple for some time.

Calling people who don't understand a concept stupid, dumb or dense does not help at all. Also generalizing from a vocal minority to "bitcoiners" is a bit far fetched. English is not my native language and probably also not the native language of a lot of people around here, so there can be just very simple misunderstandings too.

ripplescam is relatively well designed and written and I regularly have to fight down the urge to create a similar page, just with Bitcoin as an example of how FUD and twisted words from someone who is relatively well informed about a system really can look like. Then again I constantly try to remind myself that Ripple as well as Bitcoin a few years(!) ago both took some time for me to really "sink in" and that it took quite some time of reading and asking until I understood it better. Pointing out (or making up) flaws of Bitcoin will not make Ripple any better or trustworthy, it will just make Bitcoin look worse. My hope is that while there are usually a handful of trolls showing up who try to upset me from time to time there are people that are genuinely interested in understanding more about Ripple and how it benefits Bitcoin as well as the anonymous mass of "lurkers" who do not post in these threads but just read them and form their own opinion.
Also it helps my own understanding a bit better to be asked beginner questions or to debunk common myths (like the "it's not open source" or "it's centralized" stuff).

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
NWO

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 12:05:52 PM
Last edit: April 06, 2014, 12:17:57 PM by NWO

I know how you feel but your post was unhelpful, NWO.   Bitcoiners are a natural ally to the Ripple ecosystem, though and we can't forget that.

People get abused or treated poorly on the WoW forums or youtube for understanding/using Bitcoin.

This is bitcointalk.org, it is kinda expected that people are critical towards anything that might look like endangering BTC. Also, maybe I need to remind you that you were also kinda trolling against Ripple for some time.

Calling people who don't understand a concept stupid, dumb or dense does not help at all. Also generalizing from a vocal minority to "bitcoiners" is a bit far fetched. English is not my native language and probably also not the native language of a lot of people around here, so there can be just very simple misunderstandings too.

ripplescam is relatively well designed and written and I regularly have to fight down the urge to create a similar page, just with Bitcoin as an example of how FUD and twisted words from someone who is relatively well informed about a system really can look like. Then again I constantly try to remind myself that Ripple as well as Bitcoin a few years(!) ago both took some time for me to really "sink in" and that it took quite some time of reading and asking until I understood it better. Pointing out (or making up) flaws of Bitcoin will not make Ripple any better or trustworthy, it will just make Bitcoin look worse. My hope is that while there are usually a handful of trolls showing up who try to upset me from time to time there are people that are genuinely interested in understanding more about Ripple and how it benefits Bitcoin as well as the anonymous mass of "lurkers" who do not post in these threads but just read them and form their own opinion.
Also it helps my own understanding a bit better to be asked beginner questions or to debunk common myths (like the "it's not open source" or "it's centralized" stuff).

You commented on how someone didn't post your entire quote, yet you fail to include the section of mine which refutes your first sentence...

Bold is what annoys me. Underlined is what doesn't. I'm talking about trolls or general hatred towards Ripple.

When you constantly witness 'senior members' still not grasping Ripple (considering it is so simple) and still yapping on about it being closed source, premined etc it just gets annoying. I don't mind helping genuine newcomers to Ripple (I have activated well over 10+ accounts for new members, friends, family), it is the people who constantly whine like broken records or understand nothing about Ripple (and just post links to RippleScam etc) that annoy me.

It is true, I also didn't like Ripple and then I did my own research. I'm an example of someone who has both perspectives. But anyway, like I said. I'm going to keep calling people out for being retarded if they come into Ripple threads going "derp... derp.. closed source, centralized, scam.. derp derp" because that is just idiocy. As mentioned, I don't mind newcomers, general questions, language barriers etc.

Edit: Do you need some perspective? Go take a look at the comments on that article I linked to earlier.
mmeijeri

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 12:38:20 PM

Sure, but judging by some of the juvenile responses on this thread, I think many of the critics are just kids.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 01:50:48 PM

I've done a little more reading about Opencoin/Ripple Labs version of Rippled. I no longer see it as a threat to Bitcoin. It is a fundamentally different approach to payments than Bitcoin. I laud the tenacity of the marketroids selling the system (which requires buying XRP), but I will reserve final judgement on it until there is further development and forks to compare it to.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
JunkieMiner

Activity: 412
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 06:35:43 PM

Are you seriously? They have nothing to compare

███ TWITTER █████████████████ LIANG ████████████████████ WHITEPAPER ███
███ ANN ██████ Banking Eco-System █████ FACEBOOK PAGE ███
███ TELEGRAM █████████████████ AMM ███████████████████ MEDIUM ███
Pente

Activity: 528
Merit: 527

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 07:19:13 PM

[ANN] Cripple Payments
Cripple = Cryptographic ripple
Have you had your first cripple?  Cheesy

....sorry....probably not funny.

I laughed  Roll Eyes
GTO911

Activity: 672

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 07:32:43 PM

How are you comparing ripple to bitcoin? both are poles apart
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 07:34:27 PM

I know how you feel but your post was unhelpful, NWO.   Bitcoiners are a natural ally to the Ripple ecosystem, though and we can't forget that.

You commented on how someone didn't post your entire quote, yet you fail to include the section of mine which refutes your first sentence...

Bold is what annoys me. Underlined is what doesn't. I'm talking about trolls or general hatred towards Ripple.

It is true, I also didn't like Ripple and then I did my own research. I'm an example of someone who has both perspectives. But anyway, like I said. I'm going to keep calling people out for being retarded if they come into Ripple threads going "derp... derp.. closed source, centralized, scam.. derp derp" because that is just idiocy. As mentioned, I don't mind newcomers, general questions, language barriers etc.

Edit: Do you need some perspective? Go take a look at the comments on that article I linked to earlier.

What's the value of ripple? Why should I care about it?

themusicgod1

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 10:07:37 PM

Sure, but judging by some of the juvenile responses on this thread, I think many of the critics are just kids.

Then the better response is to treat them with respect, but sternly.  It's better to deal with a child as an adult than to stoop to childish memes in response.
themusicgod1

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 10:12:26 PM

What's the value of ripple? Why should I care about it?

What was your motivation on offering this loan https://bitcointa.lk/threads/would-consider-giving-micro-loans.292416/ ?
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:12:10 PM

Maybe because ripple is using the concept of IOU

IOU is a typical way to confuse people and let them fall for the scheme, banks are very good at it. A financially strong person don't need to borrow money, nor lending money, so the concept of IOU only attract those financially weak person. Only banks need IOU, since that will cover the fact that they print money for themselves or they lend customer funds to someone else

When you see the word IOU, you can sense that some scheme is going on here Wink

GodHatesFigs

Activity: 557
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:23:14 PM

Fortunately we can have both. It is not a zero-sum game: one person taking ripple seriously does not imply one fewer person taking bitcoin seriously.

Yes it does - Ripple and Bitcoin are in direct competition: every dollar spent on the one cannot be spent on the other.

http://themisescircle.org/blog/2014/03/14/the-coming-demise-of-the-altcoins/
adpinbr (OP)

Activity: 1008
Merit: 254

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:31:59 PM

XRP and bitcoins compete. Ripple and Bitcoin require a more elaborate analysis to substantiate that claim

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:32:40 PM

Maybe because ripple is using the concept of IOU

IOU is a typical way to confuse people and let them fall for the scheme, banks are very good at it. A financially strong person don't need to borrow money, nor lending money, so the concept of IOU only attract those financially weak person. Only banks need IOU, since that will cover the fact that they print money for themselves or they lend customer funds to someone else

When you see the word IOU, you can sense that some scheme is going on here Wink

Call it "escrowed funds" then?

"Bank note" or "balance" might also be correct terms, in the end it is not strictly defined by the network though what your RippleState entries (the internal name for trust lines) reflect - they can be debt, money, time, goods...

All Bitcoin exchanges (even localbitcoins with their escrow system) use strictly IOUs, not "real" Bitcoins by the way.

Fortunately we can have both. It is not a zero-sum game: one person taking ripple seriously does not imply one fewer person taking bitcoin seriously.
Yes it does - Ripple and Bitcoin are in direct competition: every dollar spent on the one cannot be spent on the other.
You need to spend less than one single dollar buying XRP for a few million transactions + reserves, after that you can spend all other dollars for BTC, dogecoin or whatever else you want to buy on Ripple. It's an exchange mostly with an "altcoin" attached to it for denominating fees, not the other way around.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
mmeijeri

Activity: 714

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:40:00 PM
Last edit: April 07, 2014, 12:45:57 AM by mmeijeri

XRP and bitcoins compete. Ripple and Bitcoin require a more elaborate analysis to substantiate that claim

Yes, but Ripple is much more than XRP, it also includes the IOU rippling mechanism and a distributed exchange. And these aren't just any two merely nice additions, they deal directly with Bitcoin's major weakness, its interface with the fiat world. That won't matter eventually in an all-crypto world, but we have to get there first, and that's where Ripple or something like it can help. If Ripple didn't have these additional parts, it would be much less interesting.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
adpinbr (OP)

Activity: 1008
Merit: 254

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:40:39 PM

Every time I read bitcoiners trying to understand Ripple.

Why are you all so dumb!? Stick with your simple archaic system if that is all you can wrap your mind around.

Yes, insulting people is a great way to support your view?

Every time I read bitcoiners trying to understand Ripple..
Ripple is not suitable for mainstream users (BTC is not yet either)

• BTC has over 20 to 50+ companies with VC$$$ all trying to make BTC ready for prime time.
  • How many companies are actively working to improve Ripple?
  • What are the chances Ripple will ever be ready for "the dumb people" to use?

Because I don't care if bitcoiners don't understand Ripple. The amount of threads that I have read with Sukrim clearly rebutting or informing bitcoiners about Ripple is ridiculous. The worst part is, those same people are still like...

From the top of my head there is peercover, ritazachari (jewelry), bitstamp, zip zap, ripplesingapore (gold/ silver) and with crosscoinventures I'm sure there are many more in the pipeline. Theoretically, anyone who accepts BTC accepts XRP due to the Bitcoin bridge (but you probably don't know what that is either). How many companies were involved with Bitcoin after a year? Oh that's right, it was still being premined/ instamined (there's some bitcoiner lingo which is actually relevant!) by Satoshi and his small group of followers.

I'm assuming this is what the OP is talking about http://www.coindesk.com/ripple-courts-developers-entrepreneurs-new-initiatives/

Merchant adoption of ripple is an irrelevant point IMHO. If a merchant were to accept XRP for G&S, MAYBE, it would be relevant. But Ripple does not aim for merchants to accept it, as these merchants are not interested in running a hawala network, Ripple needs to get the banks to do it so they can get rid
of visa and MasterCard. Ripple aims to be paypal, you can't say that paypal competes with dollar vs yuan adoption...

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
herebittybittybitty

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:45:00 PM

You'd better squeeze all the Charmin you can,
When Mr. Ripple's not around.
Put your head in the microwave and get yourself a tan...

i know at least someone will get this
NWO

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:48:49 PM

I've done a little more reading about Opencoin/Ripple Labs version of Rippled. I no longer see it as a threat to Bitcoin. It is a fundamentally different approach to payments than Bitcoin. I laud the tenacity of the marketroids selling the system (which requires buying XRP), but I will reserve final judgement on it until there is further development and forks to compare it to.

Exactly.

Although it only costs a few dollars and you will probably never have to buy XRP again (transactions fees are tiny). It is cheaper than others systems (bitcoin, paypal, banks etc), so it isn't too much of an issue.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: