Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:35:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HOW TO BUY LOTS OF BITCOINS VERY FAST  (Read 4566 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2011, 06:51:38 PM
Last edit: December 27, 2011, 07:08:49 PM by casascius

Wanted to make sure this was well known.

The easiest way if you have a large chunk of change to put into BTC is to do a bank wire...

I am in the US.  There have been a few times I have wired $50k to MtGox, whether it was to buy BTC for myself, or on behalf of others.  MtGox didn't charge me any fees for this deposit.  The only fee I paid was to Chase Bank for initiating the wire.

If I do it in time for wires to go out (e.g. before 3pm my local time, 5pm Eastern time, which I believe is a Federal Reserve cutoff time), each and every time, it has been available for me to spend that same evening - typically 7pm-9pm local time, as long as the next day was a business day in Japan.  That's because my evening is Japan's next morning.

My most recent wire, I initiated at 2:10pm local time, and was able to spend it at 7:02pm the same evening, so that's less than 5 hours.

I strongly recommend a YubiKey if you're dealing with that kind of money.  You will be dealing with a 100 BTC (or similar) withdrawal limit - consider that a blessing, an anti-theft measure, to give you time to get your YubiKey (while you get your personal info to MtGox).  If you deposit that kind of money into MtGox, order a YubiKey immediately, and don't ask for your limit to be raised before you have received and activated it.  YubiKey comes fast - it gets sent via a form of express post.

With dealing with that kind of money, I also wouldn't recommend anything less than just overnighting "certified copies" of your personal documentation as a way to get your limits raised.  A notary produces certified copies.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2011, 06:53:50 PM

So you're the "manipulator"..... Smiley j/k

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
pc

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 27, 2011, 08:16:47 PM

And here I thought the way you'd recommend to buy lots of bitcoins very fast was to buy your 1000-bitcoin bar from MemoryDealers…
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2011, 08:24:20 PM

For some reason, the thread title got my heart beating very fast as if someone was throwing free bitcoins from the sky!

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2011, 08:31:40 PM

And here I thought the way you'd recommend to buy lots of bitcoins very fast was to buy your 1000-bitcoin bar from MemoryDealers…

That too is very fast if you don't mind the surcharge... (which I believe can be reduced if you pay by wire)

Keep in mind that in a way, we (referring to me and Roger at MemoryDealers) are promoting Bitcoin and especially acquiring Bitcoin safely, more so than taking an interest in making money selling gold plated bars.  He and I could well be described as bitcoin enthusiasts.  The surcharge isn't meant to be a moneymaker.  Most of that markup goes into credit card fees and overhead and offsetting risk.  We all cheer when somebody goes and buys BTC from MtGox, because it helps bring BTC closer to what we think is its true value.  We're sad if somebody gets scammed or hacked or loses a wallet (even if it's their own fault), because it bruises Bitcoin as a whole.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 12:16:44 AM

whether it was to buy BTC for myself, or on behalf of others.

after seeing that your bank is probably filing a SAR as we speak
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2011, 12:58:40 AM

In my case, it's a good thing my activities are legitimate and I have nothing to worry about.

btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2011, 03:57:30 PM

In my case, it's a good thing my activities are legitimate and I have nothing to worry about.
Being on a US gov terrorist list of some sort would still not be fun, even if all your activities are legitimate.  It's so sad how we are letting our own government kill off civil liberties for the *illusion* of safety.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 05:43:25 PM

definitely the cheapest also.  $50K for $40= 0.08% fee
koin
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 06:07:21 PM
Last edit: December 28, 2011, 06:39:39 PM by koin

oh, i just assumed that the regulations required you to register as an MSB if you are engaged in converting or moving funds for others.  or be a licensed brokerage. or something else, in order to transfer someone else's funds.

i suppose these restrictions wouldn't apply when the transfers are for friends and family situations though, which might be the type of transactions you are describing.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2011, 06:17:07 PM

oh, i just assumed that the regulations required you to register as an MSB if you are engaged in converting or moving funds for others.  or be a licensed brokerage. or something else, in order to transfer someone else's funds.

i suppose these restrictions wouldn't apply when the transfers are for friends and family situations either.

Yeah, makes sense.  Nope, it's only been a few hundred or a few grand here and there for friends and family.  In most cases I am just selling them physical bitcoins.  And also if I sell a Casascius gold coin and accept USD for it, I essentially have to re-buy 1000 BTC as well.

smickles

Activity: 446

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2011, 06:45:19 PM

Being on a US gov terrorist list of some sort would still not be fun, even if all your activities are legitimate.  It's so sad how we are letting our own government kill off civil liberties for the *illusion* of safety.
+1 , (sorry if I didn't add much to the conversation)

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 07:21:24 PM

my bank has said they don't report those large amts to the gov't.  i wonder if this is true?
smickles

Activity: 446

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2011, 09:01:37 PM

my bank has said they don't report those large amts to the gov't.  i wonder if this is true?
TNO

koin
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 09:52:16 PM

i see what you did there!

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-unpaid-spies-in-the-financial-system-2011-12
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 10:25:01 PM

Yubikeys are worthless ATM for protecting bitcoins since you can withdraw via the API and the API still allows un/password authentication.  Just FYI.  MtGox needs to suck it up and break compatibility with old code instead of allowing this glaring hole to exist.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2011, 10:46:30 PM

Yubikeys are worthless ATM for protecting bitcoins since you can withdraw via the API and the API still allows un/password authentication.  Just FYI.  MtGox needs to suck it up and break compatibility with old code instead of allowing this glaring hole to exist.

Wow, is this fact wildly known?
It deserves a post of its own somewhere, the hole is indeed glaring.
I'll post it to reddit.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
old_engineer

Activity: 387

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 11:36:52 PM

At the very least, they should disable API usage by default for Yubikey owners, and require a press to activate the API.  The number of Mt. Gox users that have a Yubikey and use the API has to be a very small % of users, I'd guess a few dozen at most.
Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

Activity: 392
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 12:28:03 AM

You do have to enable the API in your user preferences, and have some granular control i.e. trade functionality vs. withdrawal functionality.

In other words, it's up to the end user to control their own risk in using the API features. For example, one might enable trade API functionality while limiting withdrawal functionality to Yubikey authenticated web based user sessions.

I don't think this is a hole at all, but I will say that MtGox and others are probably limited by their own niche success, as they have a large enough user base that they have to give consideration to backward compatibility when including new features (and risking breaking everything).

-Jon

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 12:40:51 AM

can u explain this a bit more and its implications for us non API Yubikey users?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: