Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:11:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why USB miners?  (Read 3540 times)
Tovadnok (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 11:56:12 AM

I'm having trouble understanding why people still use USB miners like the HexFury.
The price per Gh/s is extremely high and seems to have no chance of breaking even, especially when compared to standalone miners like S1.

What am I missing?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
WetSeals

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 12:03:42 PM

Probably some people do not have the funds to invest in something better but want to mine as a hobby.  Also, some people just do not understand the math part.
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 12:32:16 PM

USB miner people are mostly beginners trying to understand mining process before getting their feet into deeper waters, to see if it really works out for them or not. Imagine a guy who read an article about Bitcoin on Digg and started reading about mining, got interested but rather than investing $10,000 straightaway on a mining rig he would first wants to play safe and see if he can actually go through 'the whole mining thing'.
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

FUN > ROI

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 12:36:13 PM

[ StickMiners - Where FUN > ROI ]  Grin

billotronic
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 01:26:49 PM

Exactly!

And it also allows for interesting opportunities. I don't mine BTC but I have 5 U2's for shits and giggles hashing away on the blackcoin pool. For the very little $$ they cost its nice to have some SHA hardware available. You never know if something might come along that could make the little bastards profitable.

This post sums up why all this bullshit is a scam
Read It. Hate It. Change the facts that it represents.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1606638.msg16139644#msg16139644
WetSeals

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 01:59:27 PM

Also, a cheap way to play the lotto.  Who knows, you may hit a block with one.
reactor

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 02:28:31 PM

Exactly!

And it also allows for interesting opportunities. I don't mine BTC but I have 5 U2's for shits and giggles hashing away on the blackcoin pool. For the very little $$ they cost its nice to have some SHA hardware available. You never know if something might come along that could make the little bastards profitable.

Exactly x2!  Plus most vendors are doing what the computer makers did back in the day, scaling up instead of scaling out.  Now folks are selling 1TH units like they used to sell 100GH units, however once you go up to that high of a hashrate the power draw becomes something of an issue.  For example, I'm east coast US and my power rate is .15 but w/ delivery and taxes it is closer to .29, so running something at 1KW is insane for me.  Plus my rental house has a terrible power scheme (and the owners are assholes and won't consider upgrading), so there isn't a single place that is accessible in the house that I can draw 1KW from a single breaker, meaning I physically cannot run a 1TH unit until 1TH units get much, much lower in their power draw.

USB's, and even Gridseeds, on the other hand, are smaller, lower power draw, more manageable heat-wise, and can easily be swapped to other coins at a whim.  Plus, not a single 1TH unit coming out right now is going to ROI per current network increases and those fuckballs at KNC, so the argument "USB won't ROI" can be replaced with "Mining hardware won't ROI" and you're more accurate.  

Mining is a shitty place, but some of us like to remain involved. Smiley Smiley
Wolf_Pack

Activity: 386

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 02:31:26 PM

Some people aren't paying electricity costs, so any return is profit. (If it's already paid for itself, of course)

▄  ▄▄  ▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▄▄     ▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ▄▄▄▄▄        ▄       ▄▄       ▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ▄██▀▀▀▀██▄  ███▄   ██ ██▀▀▀▀▀    ▄██▀▀▀█▀      ███      ███     ███ ██▀▀▀▀▀
██▀      ▀██ ████▄  ██ ██        ██▀           ██▀██     ████   ████ ██
██        ██ ██ ▀██ ██ ██▄▄▄     ██    ████   ██▀ ▀██    ██▀██ ██▀██ ██▄▄▄
██▄      ▄██ ██  ▀████ ██▀▀▀     ██▄     ██  ██▀   ▀██   ██ ▀███▀ ██ ██▀▀▀
 ▀██▄▄▄▄██▀  ██    ▀██ ██▄▄▄▄▄    ▀██▄▄▄██▀ ████▄▄▄████  ██  ▀█▀  ██ ██▄▄▄▄▄
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀    ▀▀     ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀       ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▀  ▀▀  ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
A-Self Evolving Virtual World
Built on Top of Blockchain
▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬   WHITEPAPER   ▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬
TWITTER     TELEGRAM      MEDIUM
▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬   ANN THREAD   ▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬
MiningSensei

Activity: 766
Merit: 509

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 02:32:43 PM

I got into the usb miner game with 1 miner, then eventually 2, then 3 and now i'm up to 9.  I realized after a while that if I continue down the addition path, then I would just be better off holding that money until I can afford a bigger miner.  USBs are really light fun and good for learning the basics of everything, but if you are going to make it a real thing then maybe try 1 USB first and then go for something bigger.

Hello
billotronic
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 04:35:30 PM

Plus, not a single 1TH unit coming out right now is going to ROI per current network increases and those fuckballs at KNC, so the argument "USB won't ROI" can be replaced with "Mining hardware won't ROI" and you're more accurate.  

Mining is a shitty place, but some of us like to remain involved. Smiley Smiley

I'd drink to that sir!

This post sums up why all this bullshit is a scam
Read It. Hate It. Change the facts that it represents.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1606638.msg16139644#msg16139644
novello

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 07:38:59 PM

I'm sure that the contributors to this thread have amply answered your question, but I'd still assure you that there is a lot of life left in the USB miner concept yet, especially in view of the comment made by WetSeals about people that would like to mine, but have very limited funds, or that made by MiningSensei about how he built up his hashing power ....

Our company will shortly be offering a 100GH/sec capable USB miner (to get that it has to use the included AC adapter) at substantially under US$75, and no, that's not a misprint. 100 GH/sec at under US$75.

Does that proposition make sense to you?

TheRealSteve

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

FUN > ROI

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 07:58:29 PM

Our company will shortly be offering a 100GH/sec capable USB miner (to get that it has to use the included AC adapter) at substantially under US$75, and no, that's not a misprint. 100 GH/sec at under US$75.
That should easily ROI - depending on actual delivery date, mostly.

I wouldn't necessarily call that a USB miner, though, so much as a miner that happens to communicate with a host system over USB. Which is pretty much all of them.  Perhaps size-wise it'll be more akin to what's being referred to here than to e.g. a onestring, Hex16, etc. or even the HashBuster micro/nano (small package, but still not exactly 'a USB miner').
I'm looking forward to your announcement, regardless.

Tovadnok (OP)

Activity: 44

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 08:01:21 PM

I'm sure that the contributors to this thread have amply answered your question, but I'd still assure you that there is a lot of life left in the USB miner concept yet, especially in view of the comment made by WetSeals about people that would like to mine, but have very limited funds, or that made by MiningSensei about how he built up his hashing power ....

What is your company called, and how short is shortly?
novello

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 08:05:04 PM

It's called Novello Technologies Limited, we're based in the UK and we hope to make an announcement in the next two weeks. The USB miner isn't the only product, but it will probably be the one that gets most interest.

Gazza1

Activity: 238

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 09:17:25 PM

Finally a SHA-256 ASIC manufacturer who has the right idea.  If it's legit that is. Smiley

Impossible is a word found only in the dictionary of fools.
novello

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 09:43:32 PM

Oh, it's legit all right. You'd have to be a very brave or terminally stupid scammer to make this up. When you read our proposition you can make up your own mind.

Gazza1

Activity: 238

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 11:20:28 PM

Oh, it's legit all right. You'd have to be a very brave or terminally stupid scammer to make this up. When you read our proposition you can make up your own mind.

Sounds awesome man, I look forward to it.

Impossible is a word found only in the dictionary of fools.
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 04:52:13 AM

That's a very bold statement. You've got my attention. Will look forward to the official announcement.
slashka

Activity: 248

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 09:38:06 PM

This is awesome! BUT! U r telling to people that hey r stupid scammers. So... U r a scammer! Why?
1. No profit to your "company".
2. U r blaming others.

So, if your words r true, plz provide some samples to bitcointalk users for tests and overviews. That will be a nice advertising and people will b standing in queus to buy some miners from u, because it sounds like u r the most awesome miners producing company.

PayCoin - the people's money.
URC Coin - the power of hexagon!
Need a coin website? PM me
reactor

Activity: 420

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 12:19:01 AM

Two requests:

1) Be legit Cheesy
2) Pull the rug out on Bitmain.  Those shitheads don't deserve any more business.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: